Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Oh don’t worry fellow DBR posters. Ol’ Huck will keep just enough and get just enough to be dangerous next year. But I think we will be even more dangerous!

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I was mixed on wanting Love to return to the Cheats. Part of me was worried that if he stayed he would become the guy whom put up huge numbers against Duke. The other part of me thought that if he left UNC they would be screwed because they would have to start over with a PG. But part of that part of me thought but what if the new person is a better fit for Roy and his scandalous system. But as the kids like to say ball don't lie. Aside from a gaudy FT% of 81% what else did Love excel at?

In the end, it comes down to Love not being a PG and Roy needs a PG for his system to really excel. And that is not Love. Roy's system can go with a scoring PG but Love is really a SG trying to play PG for an NBA audition. It is not a good fit and IMHO it is why his stat line was turrible and there was chemistry issues. The UNC bigs could not get a decent entry pass from Love all season. Could Love put it altogether and be All-ACC? Crazier things have happened. But Love needs to not only work on his offensive consistency but also on being a PG for Roy and his not NBA audition conducive offense. I don't know if that is feasible. I think Roy and Love are both stuck in between a rock and hard place and decided to run it back together. But that doesn't mean that the issues have or will be addressed for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I think Love returning is really great news for them, unfortunately. And I bet Roy really worked hard this week to achieve this about face by Love.

We know Love has potential - just look at the games he had against us. If he works hard and has that same freshman to sophomore jump, that we expect from Roach and Steward, he could be really good next year. I personally really like his game.

I gotta believe Roy is working equally hard on getting Bacot to come back. If that happens, I think they’ll be good. And if Brooks returns, they’ll be even better. Things definitely look a lot better in Chapel Hill than they did 6 days ago. Unfortunately.

I still think they’ll hit the transfer market. I know they want more shooters, and possibly another big. It remains to be seen if they’ll hit it out of the park with a transfer (Cam Johnson), or ground into a double play ( Pierce and Keeling).
    I agree. I trust what I saw Love do vs Duke over all of the stats being thrown out. He showed a ton of potential in the Duke games - he was the true difference maker. Several posters (who I didn’t necessarily agree with) questioned why we prioritized Roach over Love. I’m not saying he is the next great Carolina point guard but he can be a valuable contributor. And with all of the change going on In college basketball, having a point guard with experience in your system is worth a lot - which is why I am optimistic for Duke assuming Roach and DJ return.

If everyone else, particularly Brooks and Bacot, returns for UNC, Love could be highly effectively and they can have a solid team, especially if they can add some depth.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I was mixed on wanting Love to return to the Cheats. Part of me was worried that if he stayed he would become the guy whom put up huge numbers against Duke. The other part of me thought that if he left UNC they would be screwed because they would have to start over with a PG. But part of that part of me thought but what if the new person is a better fit for Roy and his scandalous system. But as the kids like to say ball don't lie. Aside from a gaudy FT% of 81% what else did Love excel at?
    Beating Duke?

But wait!!!!!

There's more!!!

Bacot testing draft process! (could opt for G-league)

ANNNNNND...

This just in: Brooks to enter transfer portal.

(whispers of Kessler returning...)

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    But wait!!!!!

There's more!!!

ANNNNNND...

Bacot may be testing the waters. But he is also apparently tweeting at Kessler, trying to get him to return, along with Hubert.

I wonder if Brooks will go play for his Dad at Mississippi St.

If Bacot and Kessler both return then that would be a really solid frontcourt for them. OTOH if Bacot goes through the process and leaves while Kessler leaves them in limbo and then does transfer, they will be stuck needing to mine the portal. Older post players will still want to go there, but having a brand new unproven coach only makes things harder. Here’s hoping for all the worst for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Bacot may be testing the waters. But he is also apparently tweeting at Kessler, trying to get him to return, along with Hubert.

I wonder if Brooks will go play for his Dad at Mississippi St.
    Brooks playing for his Dad makes too much sense not to happen.
    Unfortunately for us, playing for your Dad is becoming a popular option...

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Brooks playing for his Dad makes too much sense not to happen.
    Unfortunately for us, playing for your Dad is becoming a popular option...
    True - which is why dads get good jobs, going back at least to Danny Manning

Or

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    True - which is why dads get good jobs, going back at least to Danny Manning
    Press Maravich?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Press Maravich?
    I think there’s a big difference between a situation like Maravich playing for his father who was already head coach and the hiring of Manning’s father as an assistant. There are a number of father head coach/son star player examples. But the practice of hiring a parent (or close relative) as an assistant as part the son’s recruitment is totally different. Manning. Simmons. Chalmers. Porter Jr. I’m sure there are tons of examples of like these.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    But wait!!!!!

There's more!!!

ANNNNNND...

My condolences to Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I think there’s a big difference between a situation like Maravich playing for his father who was already head coach and the hiring of Manning’s father as an assistant. There are a number of father head coach/son star player examples. But the practice of hiring a parent (or close relative) as an assistant as part the son’s recruitment is totally different. Manning. Simmons. Chalmers. Porter Jr. I’m sure there are tons of examples of like these.
    Except that Press was the head coach at NC State, not LSU, and Pete had to go to prep school for a year after high school waiting for his dad to move to LSU. Pete’s prep school played our freshman team in Cameron. Duke fans hated Press, so we began the game booing Pete every time he touched the ball. By the end of the game, he was getting standing ovations - yes, he was that good.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    If Bacot and Kessler both return then that would be a really solid frontcourt for them. OTOH if Bacot goes through the process and leaves while Kessler leaves them in limbo and then does transfer, they will be stuck needing to mine the portal. Older post players will still want to go there, but having a brand new unproven coach only makes things harder. Here’s hoping for all the worst for them.
    Presumably, the reason Kessler left was that he didn't feel like he fit the system at UNC (who could have seen that coming except everyone?). I don't see that changing if Bacot is still there. Neither are power forwards. It would be the same system that UNC has run since Dean showed up. Hubert Davis was coached by Dean Smith and then was on the bench for 9 years as Roy Williams's assistant. He is now the man in charge and could change things up, but his hiring does not strike me as the kind of decision that suggests they want to modernize the approach in Chapel Hill.

My best guess is that Kessler ends up at Auburn. That team is both young and thin in the frontcourt and could really use Kessler to compete in the SEC. Bruce Pearl also has a decent track record of getting guys to the NBA and playing a more modern offense. They have a talented 4 in Jabari Smith coming in. Kessler would have help in the frontcourt and just got a talented transfer in Wendell Green, Jr. to run the PG. It would be the fit that makes the most sense. Kessler has been rumored to be enamored with Gonzaga. That offense would fit him very well, but it's not clear that Drew Timme is going pro and they are the favorites to land Chet Holmgren. Does Kessler want to come off the bench there?

Either way, I think Bacot is most likely to return to UNC. What's unclear is how much of the frontcourt returns with him.

Yeah, Auburn would make a ton of sense, but doing things that make sense hasn’t been a Kessler strong point 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Yeah, Auburn would make a ton of sense, but doing things that make sense hasn’t been a Kessler strong point 🤣
    That's a fair point!

The Brooks story is kind of sad, not that I don't like watching UNC fail. Preseason ACC POY candidate, struggles, would have been undrafted, gets shoved out the door to make room for more talented players.

Will Hubert keep using Dean's system? Or will he go his own way? The system is really effective, if not terribly applicable to the NBA these days.

I suppose making it clear he wants to be more flexible could change minds.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Will Hubert keep using Dean's system? Or will he go his own way? The system is really effective, if not terribly applicable to the NBA these days.

I suppose making it clear he wants to be more flexible could change minds.

-jk
    That's really the million dollar question in my book. One could assume he was hired to stay the course of Roy - why else hire the assistant coach?

But, you could also assume they are hoping he has some twists and updates to keep the program relevant.

I'd be pleased as punch if Hubert stuck with Roy's game plans, only with much less experience, fewer rings, and no gravitas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That's really the million dollar question in my book. One could assume he was hired to stay the course of Roy - why else hire the assistant coach?

But, you could also assume they are hoping he has some twists and updates to keep the program relevant.

I'd be pleased as punch if Hubert stuck with Roy's game plans, only with much less experience, fewer rings, and no gravitas.
    Sad thing is Hubert will not be able to rival Huck in post game pressers after a loss.