Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 193
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I mean, it isn't like they're the only team that rebounds and pushes the ball up the court.
    No, but they've done it better and for longer than anyone.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I read that Walton’s mom tweeted during the Wisconsin game something to the effect of, you have to give more shots to the only guy on the team who can shoot. And Love’s father has been posting negative stuff about Roy too, claiming his system is outdated. Nothing would make me happier than for them to go full-blown Chernobyl right now. Need to restore some order next season big time. Those jerks cheated for 20+ years and got away scot free, I hope they lose every game.
    Amen brother. Amen😎

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I mean, it isn't like they're the only team that rebounds and pushes the ball up the court.
    A lot of teams push the ball upcourt after a rebound. uNC pushes the ball upcourt after a made basket, too, which is a bit different from most, and they do it better than anybody.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

  4. #24
    Shouldn't this thread be retitled the schadenfreude thread?

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Shouldn't this thread be retitled the schadenfreude thread?
    Everything about this thread makes me anxious.

  6. #26
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Everything about this thread makes me anxious.
    Agreed. I feel like this is just begging the universe to hit us with some karma. Hope I’m very wrong.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Agreed. I feel like this is just begging the universe to hit us with some karma. Hope I’m very wrong.
    Reveling in it makes it bad karma. Discussing the situation is just a matter of being informed.

    And what kind of bad karma? Like missing the NCAAs or something?

  8. #28
    This has been building.

    Many seem to forget last years dumpster fire where they finished well under .500 and they bounce back with an 8 seed and a humiliating first round knockout.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Reveling in it makes it bad karma. Discussing the situation is just a matter of being informed.

    And what kind of bad karma? Like missing the NCAAs or something?
    Yeah... I was about to say... didn't "bad karma" already hit Duke? They got their fair share already... in one season. Should be good for a few years

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Word is that Bacot felt that Roy singled him out for toughness and rode him on it unfairly. This might factor into him transferring to somewhere else.

    UNC needs players who know the system. Replacing veterans with newbies is not a recipe Roy does well with. Roy also needs a high end PG, not just any PG. While there might be some out there in the portal, the competition for their services is going to be fierce. There are programs that are setup for these guys and have shown that they know how to make it all work. If UNC is the dumpster fire that it could be I wouldn't see it as an attractive option.

    I can see Roy doing better than what people will expect from him when this all settles but that might not amount to much.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    This has been building.

    Many seem to forget last years dumpster fire where they finished well under .500 and they bounce back with an 8 seed and a humiliating first round knockout.
    I pointed this out in another thread, but it bears repeating: UNC is 32 and 30 over the last two years.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    His games against Duke makes Caleb Love look better that he is. Good riddance from our perspective.

    But the family stuff gives me pause. Maybe Roy isn't terribly sad to see Love go?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Word is that Bacot felt that Roy singled him out for toughness and rode him on it unfairly. This might factor into him transferring to somewhere else.

    UNC needs players who know the system. Replacing veterans with newbies is not a recipe Roy does well with. Roy also needs a high end PG, not just any PG. While there might be some out there in the portal, the competition for their services is going to be fierce. There are programs that are setup for these guys and have shown that they know how to make it all work. If UNC is the dumpster fire that it could be I wouldn't see it as an attractive option.

    I can see Roy doing better than what people will expect from him when this all settles but that might not amount to much.
    More specifically, UNC needs big, strong big boys who know the system. With Kessler gone, Sharpe gone, and Bacot likely out the door, this is gonna be a weird looking UNC team next year. Maybe Duke can finally outrebound a UNC team? (and yes, someone is gonna provide data suggesting that Duke rebounds with UNC pretty well...yada yada yada)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA/Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    His games against Duke makes Caleb Love look better that he is. Good riddance from our perspective.

    But the family stuff gives me pause. Maybe Roy isn't terribly sad to see Love go?
    Welp, maybe this is the karma we were asking for.

    Big news for UNC. Love returns.

    But wait there's more!!!!!

    They lose ANOTHER big man in Sterling Manley to the transfer portal (graduate) - leaving ONLY Brooks (and Bacot for now) in what was once probably a top 10 front court in the nation.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Welp, maybe this is the karma we were asking for.

    Big news for UNC. Love returns.

    But wait there's more!!!!!

    They lose ANOTHER big man in Sterling Manley to the transfer portal (graduate) - leaving ONLY Brooks (and Bacot for now) in what was once probably a top 10 front court in the nation.
    Caleb Love: “Obviously, I was in a slump most of the season.”
    Me: “Obviously, I was an NBA level talent but had a career long slump I just couldn’t shake.”
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

  16. #36
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Welp, maybe this is the karma we were asking for.

    Big news for UNC. Love returns.

    But wait there's more!!!!!

    They lose ANOTHER big man in Sterling Manley to the transfer portal (graduate) - leaving ONLY Brooks (and Bacot for now) in what was once probably a top 10 front court in the nation.
    Well that's a bit of a 180. But OK.

    Have to assume Brooks will move on. He's a AAAA player, it seems. Don't really know what more he will show next year, other than perhaps having a ton of usage depending on roster shakeout.

    I assume Bacot will stay.

    - Chillin

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Bacot seems to be the only remaining question mark. Maybe Walton. If they both return then UNC will be solid, not great. This is of course pending any further pickups from the waiver wire, I mean transfer portal.

  18. #38
    I think Love returning is really great news for them, unfortunately. And I bet Roy really worked hard this week to achieve this about face by Love.

    We know Love has potential - just look at the games he had against us. If he works hard and has that same freshman to sophomore jump, that we expect from Roach and Steward, he could be really good next year. I personally really like his game.

    I gotta believe Roy is working equally hard on getting Bacot to come back. If that happens, I think they’ll be good. And if Brooks returns, they’ll be even better. Things definitely look a lot better in Chapel Hill than they did 6 days ago. Unfortunately.

    I still think they’ll hit the transfer market. I know they want more shooters, and possibly another big. It remains to be seen if they’ll hit it out of the park with a transfer (Cam Johnson), or ground into a double play ( Pierce and Keeling).

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    We know Love has potential - just look at the games he had against us. If he works hard and has that same freshman to sophomore jump, that we expect from Roach and Steward, he could be really good next year. I personally really like his game.
    He was a significantly worse player in 2020-21 than both Steward and Roach. After a 36.8% eFG, an 8.8 PER, and an 88.0 oRating, he needs a gigantic freshman-to-sophomore jump just to become adequate. Obviously he could surprise me, but I think his returning is good news for the rest of the ACC.

    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I gotta believe Roy is working equally hard on getting Bacot to come back. If that happens, I think they’ll be good. And if Brooks returns, they’ll be even better. Things definitely look a lot better in Chapel Hill than they did 6 days ago. Unfortunately.
    If they get a bunch of transfers then who knows. But a team of Jr Bacot, So Love, Gr-Sr Brooks, So Walton, Sr Leaky Black, and whoever else returns plus their recruiting class to date doesn't appear to me to be much (if at all) better than their 2020 team that went 14-19.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    He was a significantly worse player in 2020-21 than both Steward and Roach. After a 36.8% eFG, an 8.8 PER, and an 88.0 oRating, he needs a gigantic freshman-to-sophomore jump just to become adequate. Obviously he could surprise me, but I think his returning is good news for the rest of the ACC.



    If they get a bunch of transfers then who knows. But a team of Jr Bacot, So Love, Gr-Sr Brooks, So Walton, Sr Leaky Black, and whoever else returns plus their recruiting class to date doesn't appear to me to be much (if at all) better than their 2020 team that went 14-19.
    Kedsy, I hope you are right. We know Roy’s system needs a good point guard to be successful. I personally like Love’s potential. But maybe I am being biased based on the way he played against us.

    Like I said, though, I do expect them to hit the transfer market.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2019, 03:11 PM
  2. Fall TV
    By Udaman in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 11:55 PM
  3. The Fall of Kentucky
    By BlueintheFace in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
  4. NBA Lockout and College Early Departure
    By Namtilal in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 05:04 PM
  5. Jai Lucas' Departure from Florida
    By revmel53 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 09:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •