Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

UNC departure Fall out...

I figure the time is now to start this thread since it seems folks are treading lightly on the subject.

BUT things are a brewing at UNC and they don't look good. I expect next week to be a doozy.

Confirmed. Walker Kessler transferring. He could go anywhere but he's probably Georgia's to lose bc they've shown that they will cater to ANY talent they can get.

Confirmed. Day'ron Sharpe to go pro. I'll admit I didn't watch much of UNC but what I saw of Sharpe definitely says go pro. Dude is massive.

Two HUGE hits for their interior for the next couple of years.

To be determined: Whether Brooks decides to leave or stay could play a huge part in other decisions.

These decisions leave the Heels looking at the transfer portal once again for sure.

Other decisions.

Confirmed. Bacot has disassociated himself from all forms of UNC social media. Bacot's team has grumbled about playing time and now they are talking about change. More to come.

Keep an eye out for Caleb Love news as well. There are grumblings about change coming from the family. This change could be in the form of the NBA.

RJ Davis and Kerwin Walton would be the only returning guards with significant minutes played if Love leaves.

UNC was terribly young this year and could be losing the entire core of this up and down team.

As mentioned in the other threads: if ever there was a year to have a massive exodus of players, this is the year to have it happen. Lots of opportunity to be had on the transfer market, and the UNC name will still hold a lot of regard from those on the market.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I figure the time is now to start this thread since it seems folks are treading lightly on the subject.

BUT things are a brewing at UNC and they don't look good. I expect next week to be a doozy.

Confirmed. Walker Kessler transferring. He could go anywhere but he's probably Georgia's to lose bc they've shown that they will cater to ANY talent they can get.

Confirmed. Day'ron Sharpe to go pro. I'll admit I didn't watch much of UNC but what I saw of Sharpe definitely says go pro. Dude is massive.

To be determined: Whether Brooks decides to leave or stay could play a huge part in other decisions.

These decisions leave the Heels looking at the transfer portal once again for sure.

Other decisions.

Confirmed. Bacot has disassociated himself from all forms of UNC social media. Bacot's team has grumbled about playing time and now they are talking about change. More to come.

Keep an eye out for Caleb Love news as well. There are grumblings about change coming from the family. This change could be in the form of the NBA.

RJ Davis and Kerwin Walton would be the only returning guards with significant minutes played if Love leaves.

UNC was terribly young this year and could be losing the entire core of this up and down team.
    Thank you for not treading lightly, SupaDave! Hopefully there will be more to come news. Heels looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    As mentioned in the other threads: if ever there was a year to have a massive exodus of players, this is the year to have it happen. Lots of opportunity to be had on the transfer market, and the UNC name will still hold a lot of regard from those on the market.
    Yeah, it is entirely possible that they are going to replace some very young players with some pretty experienced players and while the experienced players may not have the same athletic gifts and NBA future as the youngsters, it does not mean Carolina will be less imposing of a college team.

It is not at all hard to imagine Carolina being better next year with 4+ solid transfers. I mean, they may sorta form an all-star team of former all-conference players from the Southern, Colonial, Big South, and MEAC. I would not be even mildly surprised if that happened. There is no question that the top players from smaller conferences can help you perform quite nicely in power conferences...

...the question is whether players like that can help you to be a legit national title contender, or do you need some NBA level athletes to get to that level? I suspect we are going to find out the answer to this from UNC next season.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Bacot and Kerwin were their two good players this season. If they get Dawson Garcia, Brooks back, add a PG transfer back they can be good.

Dawson, Brooks, Walton, Harris / Davis, PG transfer.

I think their main problem this season was Caleb Love's inability to run the team, and lack of backcourt experience, two things they can address in the offseason without much difficulty.

I read that Walton’s mom tweeted during the Wisconsin game something to the effect of, you have to give more shots to the only guy on the team who can shoot. And Love’s father has been posting negative stuff about Roy too, claiming his system is outdated. Nothing would make me happier than for them to go full-blown Chernobyl right now. Need to restore some order next season big time. Those jerks cheated for 20+ years and got away scot free, I hope they lose every game.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post

Other decisions.

Thank you for starting this enjoyable thread! 2 things to add:

1. As I have stated in other threads. I don’t think Kessler will end up at Georgia. His family was close to Mark Fox, not Tom Crean. 2 days ago, UGA insiders were saying Gonzaga, Michigan, or Virginia. Today, Jim Sumner has posted that Tennessee has emerged as a favorite. And another poster added in another thread that Andrew Slater tweeted about Kessler to Gonzaga (just to get all the info in one thread). Georgia would love to have Kessler, but I would be shocked if it happened.

2. I have also seen mentioned that, should Garrison Brooks decide to play a 5th year, he may choose to grad transfer to play for his father at Mississippi State. Dad George is an assistant coach there, which I had forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, it is entirely possible that they are going to replace some very young players with some pretty experienced players and while the experienced players may not have the same athletic gifts and NBA future as the youngsters, it does not mean Carolina will be less imposing of a college team.

It is not at all hard to imagine Carolina being better next year with 4+ solid transfers. I mean, they may sorta form an all-star team of former all-conference players from the Southern, Colonial, Big South, and MEAC. I would not be even mildly surprised if that happened. There is no question that the top players from smaller conferences can help you perform quite nicely in power conferences...

...the question is whether players like that can help you to be a legit national title contender, or do you need some NBA level athletes to get to that level? I suspect we are going to find out the answer to this from UNC next season.
    They tried that with Keeling and Pierce two years ago and the results weren't great. I'm not saying it won't work well this time and UNC will certainly get players but we've seen time and again that a large % of mid-major grad transfers don't dominate in major conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This! To infinity!!!

I just looked at their roster to remember who they have and was amazed at how many friends and family they have sitting at the end of their bench. Kenny Smith's son, Bob McAdoo's son, Jeff Lebo's son, Wes Miller's brother (who is a 6-11 senior), and Cameron Johnson's brother.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Roy and co could find very good pieces to plug into their extremely successful system. I’m not sure about an all-star team. Basketball is a team sport and if there are wholesale changes on many rosters, I could see very talented players on promising teams deciding to dance with the date who brung em and see where it will take them.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    And Love’s father has been posting negative stuff about Roy too, claiming his system is outdated.
    There is definitely some truth to this, and it's not just in terms of the frontcourt play. We all know that Roy's system focuses on post play from the 4 and 5 and that he has generally been loathe to let his bigs shoot from the perimeter. But it's also outdated in terms of the perimeter. Wings are incredibly de-emphasized in terms of handling the ball and creating their own shots. Guards don't get to utilize much pick and roll because the UNC system rarely runs high ball screens. It's just not a system that facilitates growth towards NBA stardom.

If you are a catch-and-shoot wing? Yeah, UNC can be a good fit (see Cam Johnson, Wayne Ellington, now Kerwin Walton). If you are a low-post big? UNC makes sense, especially if you don't have high-end NBA prospects coming out of high school. If you are a guard who can excel in transition and create without the use of ball screens? UNC will offer an opportunity to showcase your skills (see Lawson, Marshall, White). But if you are a perimeter-oriented big, or a playmaking wing, or a guard who prefers the pick-and-roll, it's a terrible place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    They tried that with Keeling and Pierce two years ago and the results weren't great. I'm not saying it won't work well this time and UNC will certainly get players but we've seen time and again that a large % of mid-major grad transfers don't dominate in major conferences.
    Great point...

Christian Keeling at Chas. Southern - 18.6ppg, 6.9rpg, 38% 3FG, 32.2mpg
    Christian Keeling at UNC - 6.4ppg, 2.8rpg, 32% 3FG, 19.2mpg

Justin Pierce at W&Mary - 14.9ppg, 8.9rpg, 4.1apg, 32% 3FG, 34.3mpg
    Justin Pierce at UNC - 5.0ppg, 4.0rpg, 0.9apg, 22.5% 3FG, 18.4mpg
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Both were good players, but not great... The college basketball landscape has changed in crazy ways...

Wow, this is some real boogeyman, emotional hedge fearmongering. In the midst of a (seeming) mass exodus of unx players burning the bridges down on their way out the door, you think it wouldn't be at all surprising to see the formation of an all-star team of ACC/P5-quality transfers from smaller conferences who have never played together, who would challenge for top-half of the ACC or better? Consider me among those that would be very surprised about that, especially with the way that coaching staff has built its last couple of rosters.

If you want to keep dreading what unx might do with the talent pool available in the transfer portal, that's your prerogative, certainly. I'm planning to enjoy the schadenfreude of the tossed grenades from the vacating players and their families, while Roy and co. scramble to put a full, competitive roster together of moving parts with their hands tied behind their back in a pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Wow, this is some real boogeyman, emotional hedge fearmongering. In the midst of a (seeming) mass exodus of unx players burning the bridges down on their way out the door, you think it wouldn't be at all surprising to see the formation of an all-star team of ACC/P5-quality transfers from smaller conferences who have never played together, who would challenge for top-half of the ACC or better? Consider me among those that would be very surprised about that, especially with the way that coaching staff has built its last couple of rosters.

If you want to keep dreading what unx might do with the talent pool available in the transfer portal, that's your prerogative, certainly. I'm planning to enjoy the schadenfreude of the tossed grenades from the vacating players and their families, while Roy and co. scramble to put a full, competitive roster together of moving parts with their hands tied behind their back in a pandemic.
    I'm hedging my emotional bets... if Carolina grabs a bunch of top tier transfers, I saw it coming as a possibility. If they are a dumpster fire, I will enjoy it nonetheless.

As I mentioned on the transfer thread, I would be shocked if Roy through years of convention to the wind and picked up an "all star team" of incoming transfers. Roy runs UNC like a barge. Change is slow, not overnight.

Of course, this has been the year of the unprecedented, so...

I'm hedging my emotional bets... if Carolina grabs a bunch of top tier transfers, I saw it coming as a possibility. If they are a dumpster fire, I will enjoy it nonetheless.
    UNC hoops: "Crash the boards" and "run the break." They do it very well, but it takes some time for new players to "get it." Not sure how transfers fit into this scheme -- unless they are lights-out 3-point shooters.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    UNC hoops: "Crash the boards" and "run the break." They do it very well, but it takes some time for new players to "get it." Not sure how transfers fit into this scheme -- unless they are lights-out 3-point shooters.
    I mean, it isn't like they're the only team that rebounds and pushes the ball up the court.