Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    There's always Sacramento. I note that nbadraft.net (for whatever that may be worth) has him going to Charlotte in the first round, which is so very perfect and predictable it makes me squeak.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    While you're right that this is common for the top picks, I think Johnson would be making a big mistake by turning down the opportunity to play. This is a guy who not only has major questions to answer about his game -- which to most observers was less (or much less) than it was expected to be at Duke -- but even more significantly about his character and commitment, given his quitting on Duke mid-season following his back-and-forth high school career. Were he to take the "I don't have anything to prove, so I'm not playing at the combine" option, there would likely be many teams who would drop him further down their board than he's already fallen. And probably deservedly so.
    He didn't seem to embrace the competition at Duke. I don't think he'll embrace it at the Combine either.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    He didn't seem to embrace the competition at Duke. I don't think he'll embrace it at the Combine either.
    I just hope he takes over for Kyrie as "most disliked Duke player in the NBA."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He will almost certainly try to do that in individual workouts for teams and especially in interviews with GMs and scouts. But there is almost no chance he will play at the combine. He may get measured and even do some of the athletic drills, but he ain't playing. No potential lottery pick plays at the combine. If his agent tells him to play then he needs to get a new agent.

-Jason "Jalen ain't falling lower than maybe 20... his athletic gifts are just too much for the NBA to let him drop. Even if there are attitude question marks, he ain't slipping outside of the top 20" Evans
    The smart money is definitely on Jalen opting out.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    The smart money is definitely on Jalen opting out.
    Ouch. True, but ouch.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

So the G-League has announced the 40 players it is inviting to its "Elite Camp" for potential draftees. The list is made up of guys who are not on a lot of draft boards but who are trying to earn their way to an invitation to the official NBA draft combine.

DJ Steward is not on the list. I don't know if that is because he already has or will have an invite to the combine or if he's not even thought of highly enough to even get invited to this camp. Or maybe some other reason. But it seems like he'd be right in the group of players that this camp is intended for -- not getting drafted now, maybe not even all that close to getting drafted now, but deserving of an opportunity to show he belongs at least at the combine with a chance to play his way into the draft. Alas, no. In any event, here is the list of invitees, and there are some pretty good players on here:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/06/14/...ue-elite-camp/

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    So the G-League has announced the 40 players it is inviting to its "Elite Camp" for potential draftees. The list is made up of guys who are not on a lot of draft boards but who are trying to earn their way to an invitation to the official NBA draft combine.

DJ Steward is not on the list. I don't know if that is because he already has or will have an invite to the combine or if he's not even thought of highly enough to even get invited to this camp. Or maybe some other reason. But it seems like he'd be right in the group of players that this camp is intended for -- not getting drafted now, maybe not even all that close to getting drafted now, but deserving of an opportunity to show he belongs at least at the combine with a chance to play his way into the draft. Alas, no. In any event, here is the list of invitees, and there are some pretty good players on here:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/06/14/...ue-elite-camp/
    Saw the story below about DJ receiving an invite to the Combine a few days ago, but don't know if it has been confirmed officially

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2...draft-combine/

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Saw the story below about DJ receiving an invite to the Combine a few days ago, but don't know if it has been confirmed officially

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2...draft-combine/
    He is one of the players on the official list:
    https://www.nba.com/news/nba-announc...-draft-combine

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    He is one of the players on the official list:
    https://www.nba.com/news/nba-announc...-draft-combine
    Here's the Duke media release.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/6/16/me...a-combine.aspx

Confirming what was long expected - Bacot announces return to UNC:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...men-basketball

Projected first round pick Trey Murphy, III has elected to hire an agent, forgo his remaining eligibility at Virginia and keep his name in the 2021 NBA draft, he told ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by beach rev View Post
    Confirming what was long expected - Bacot announces return to UNC:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...men-basketball
    I’m just dropping this here ....

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...oach-greg-gard

... because I’m so glad they took it out on the Heels.

This NBA Draft Lottery is something.

Swin Cash' reaction was priceless.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This NBA Draft Lottery is something.

Swin Cash' reaction was priceless.
    Mason is gonna get a chance to catch some Kyrie-esque lobs from Cade for as long a his body holds up… can’t believe my Pistons got some luck!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Mods: Suggest we start a new thread with this and some of the above posts.

ESPN lists its top 60 prospects. Matthew Hurt is #47 -- Raptors (from Warriors). DJ Steward is #55 -- Thunder (from the Nuggets).

Naismith Player of the Year Luka Garza is #53 -- Pelicans (from Mavs).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Mason is gonna get a chance to catch some Kyrie-esque lobs from Cade for as long a his body holds up… can’t believe my Pistons got some luck!
    Let's hope they get as lucky as they did with their last #1 pick - Bob Lanier.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Mods: Suggest we start a new thread with this and some of the above posts.

ESPN lists its top 60 prospects. Matthew Hurt is #47 -- Raptors (from Warriors). DJ Steward is #55 -- Thunder (from the Nuggets).

Naismith Player of the Year Luka Garza is #53 -- Pelicans (from Mavs).
    I didn't make a new thread, but did rename this one to provide for a more general draft discussion.

NBADraft.net has, in its first post-lottery mock --

Jalen going #11, toward the end of the lottery

Matt Hurt going #60, last pick of the second round

DJ Steward nowhere to be seen... actually, he can be seen on their top 100 Big Board at #77.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I did not see him very much last year. What makes him the top player in the draft? I did see Mobley and think he will be a very good to great NBA player for a long time.

Asking out of ignorance of Cunningham, not trying to knock him.

Thanks

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I did not see him very much last year. What makes him the top player in the draft? I did see Mobley and think he will be a very good to great NBA player for a long time.

Thanks
    From what I saw of him I was VERY impressed. One, he's 6-foot-8, so has incredible size for a PG. Two, he's clearly an above average three point shooter, as he shot 40% last year (also nearly 85% from the line). Three, from what I saw he was at minimum an above average defender at the college level (1.6 steals per game is solid), and he has the physical tools to be a plus defender if he works on that part of his game. Four, he has a winners mentality based on the number of late game shots he made for Oklahoma State and his improvements in the second halves of games. Personally, from what I saw I was also very impressed by how he got teammates involved and his seeming leadership of the team.

The easiest comparison for me is Ben Simmons but with a shot... both are similarly oversized point guards with a high defensive ceiling, but it's night and day when it comes to Cade's shooting ability.

I also love Mobley, I was really hoping the Raptors would sneak up to No. 2 because they're a center away from having a VERY short rebuild. But I think Cade is still a step above him given how he projects in the new positionless, shooting, switch ball screens NBA. Mobley checks a lot of those boxes but doesn't yet have the offensive polish, and still needs to put on weight to be able to have an inside presence to match his ability to defend switches on the outside.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

Thanks
    Imagine a Ben Simmons who is a really good shooter.