Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
Results 461 to 480 of 480
  1. #461
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think it makes sense. Their window with LeBron is now. Maximize that and figure the rest out later. A Westbrook/LeBron/AD trio allows each guy more rest. The key will be getting floor spacers around them.
    I hear you, but I don't know. I agree with you that if they can get a bunch of spacers around them they should be set for success, but I think fans sometimes make the mistake of thinking that it's totally trivial to stock up on really good 3-and-D players. We'll see... we'll certainly have an interesting test of how fair Westbrook's popular reputation is or isn't.

  2. #462
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For some reason, this post really bothers me. Mason Plumlee is a topic because he averaged 10.4 points, 9.3 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game last year in the NBA, while shooting 61.4 percent from the field. In his eighth NBA season. He's played 588 games in the NBA, no games in China and has earned every one of the millions of dollars he's been paid.

    Maybe you confused him with his brother Miles, an entirely different human being, with an entirely different career. But this is a Duke board and it shouldn't be that hard to tell them apart on a Duke board.

    Back to your regular programming.
    It should bother you -- Mason has done well in the NBA. As to Miles, who accomplished less on the court, he struck it rich -- he made as much money in the NBA as Mason -- $55 M over his seven years in the league -- according to www.basketball-reference.com
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  3. #463
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I hear you, but I don't know. I agree with you that if they can get a bunch of spacers around them they should be set for success, but I think fans sometimes make the mistake of thinking that it's totally trivial to stock up on really good 3-and-D players. We'll see... we'll certainly have an interesting test of how fair Westbrook's popular reputation is or isn't.
    I mean, it's kind of trivial if you have any reasonable amount of cap room (if you're willing to settle for "good" instead of "really good" maybe), but the Laker's don't have that (I don't think, at least).

  4. #464
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I hear you, but I don't know. I agree with you that if they can get a bunch of spacers around them they should be set for success, but I think fans sometimes make the mistake of thinking that it's totally trivial to stock up on really good 3-and-D players. We'll see... we'll certainly have an interesting test of how fair Westbrook's popular reputation is or isn't.
    There is a very,very cheap 3 and no-D player out there.
    dukelifer

  5. #465
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Add Shavlik Randolph, who went undrafted after leaving after his junior year.

    Actually makes a real team. Bolden at the 5, Randolph at the 4, Hurt at the 3, Steward at the 2, Duval at the 1. A nice college lineup.

    Lance Thomas, Quinn Cook and Seth Curry all have had productive NBA careers after going undrafted. But all had used up their Duke eligibility and had the maturity to work their way up through the G-League.
    Forgot about Shav.

    I believe Lance, Quinn, and Seth possess undergraduate degrees from Duke.

    I do not believe the other five do Ö

  6. #466
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Forgot about Shav.

    I believe Lance, Quinn, and Seth possess undergraduate degrees from Duke.

    I do not believe the other five do Ö
    I'd be surprised if Bolden didn't or wasn't working towards finishing his. I recall one of his professors posting on here and speaking glowingly of him.

  7. #467
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Sooo... how long do we wait for Matt to sign with a team before we start baselessly speculating about the potential of him using the new rules and returning to Duke? Does anyone know whether his agent is "NCAA approved"?
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  8. #468
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    There is a very,very cheap 3 and no-D player out there.
    You arenít referring to JJ, are you?

  9. #469
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    You arenít referring to JJ, are you?
    I assume he's referring to Matthew Hurt.

  10. #470
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I assume he's referring to Matthew Hurt.
    Ah. Makes sense. Although I do think the Lakers would be smart to see if they could pick up JJ.

  11. #471
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I assume he's referring to Matthew Hurt.
    Yes- perhaps too soon.
    dukelifer

  12. #472
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Honolulu
    Quote Originally Posted by cbolden1 View Post
    Miles isn't in China tho either is he?
    I don't think Marshall is either
    China would probably be upset if the US had Army Rangers over there.

  13. #473
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Sooo... how long do we wait for Matt to sign with a team before we start baselessly speculating about the potential of him using the new rules and returning to Duke? Does anyone know whether his agent is "NCAA approved"?
    Per Woj, that ship has sailed.

    Hurt has apparently signed a two way deal with the Rockets.

    https://twitter.com/wojespn

  14. #474
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I saw something informative from Sports Illustrated that didn't involve a swimsuit: 10 Parting Thoughts From the 2021 NBA Draft. It points out a pretty effective reason why some players were picked much higher or lower than expected.

    9. Teams dealt with COVID-related limitations on live scouting throughout this draft cycle. Naturally, this became an especially important year to participate in the draft combine. Teams really took the scrimmages seriously as an eval setting. The five best players at the combine all reaped massive benefits from showing up...
    Those players who moved up because of their combine play were Joshua Primo (12), Josh Christopher (24), Quentin Grimes (25), Bones Hyland (26), and Jason Preston (33).

    Conversely, some of the players teams were hoping to see play in combine scrimmages fell into the late first, the second round, or out of the draft entirely... Access to players mattered even more than usual this time around.
    Cameron Thomas (27), Day'Ron Sharpe (29), and Joel Ayayi (undrafted) skipped the combine. Jaden Springer (28) attended the combine but didnít play. The article further argues that Herbert Jones (35), Miles McBride (36), J.T. Thor (37), Ayo Dosunmu (38) would have been first rounders had they played well at the combine, and that Sharife Cooper (48) and B.J. Boston (51) might have gone higher in the second round.

  15. #475
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    Per Woj, that ship has sailed.

    Hurt has apparently signed a two way deal with the Rockets.

    https://twitter.com/wojespn
    Thatís great news! A full two way deal (if thatís indeed what it is) is much better than a summer league/training camp ďtryoutĒ contract. He can continue following Duncan Robinsonís career path, haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  16. #476
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    That’s great news! A full two way deal (if that’s indeed what it is) is much better than a summer league/training camp “tryout” contract. He can continue following Duncan Robinson’s career path, haha.
    The NBA seems to change the rules on 2-ways every year but last season it meant you could play in up to like 45 or 50 games with the NBA team and earn close to half a mil in salary. This is great news for Matt and he will certainly get some chance to prove himself on a young, non-contending Houston squad.

    -Jason "Frank Jackson was on a 2-way with Detroit last year and he was a major player for them late in the season" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  17. #477
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Honolulu
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The NBA seems to change the rules on 2-ways every year but last season it meant you could play in up to like 45 or 50 games with the NBA team and earn close to half a mil in salary. This is great news for Matt and he will certainly get some chance to prove himself on a young, non-contending Houston squad.

    -Jason "Frank Jackson was on a 2-way with Detroit last year and he was a major player for them late in the season" Evans
    I think the changes last season were specifically to accommodate the condensed season. Before last season, there was a 45-day limit for the player being with the NBA team. Last season the NBA changed it to allow two-way players to be active for up to 50 games and earn 50% of the rookie minimum (about $500k, like you said).

    I saw earlier this month that last year's rules would be kept for this season. One change for this year is that two-way players are not eligible for the playoff roster unless their contract is converted.

  18. #478
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I have often been befuddled by some of these kidsí thinking. I know what I would choose between the following two options: chartered flights, pregame meal spreads fit for a king, the best social media team in the country, practice facilities and weight rooms that rival professional setups, the opportunity to work towards a degree at Duke University, the potential to become a Duke legend and immortal, being coached by Coach K or Jon Scheyer, the chance of playing in an NCAAT, now being able to make money through NIL in college, playing on national television most games, the list goes on and on Ö

    Versus riding the greyhound bus on the Sioux Falls Skyforce to Oshkosh, Wisconsin to take on the Wisconsin Herd.
    Gee, after reading your post Iím really torn. Both options seem so compelling. I had previously been leaning 100% towards Duke (or a similar high-level college program), but that closing paragraph about the Greyhound bus and the Sioux Falls Skyforce (and donít forget about the Fort Wayne Mad Ants and the Fayetteville Patriots, two towns that are supposed to be quite lovely in the fall) made me reconsider my feelings about the G League.

    This is a tough one.

  19. #479
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I have often been befuddled by some of these kidsí thinking. I know what I would choose between the following two options: chartered flights, pregame meal spreads fit for a king, the best social media team in the country, practice facilities and weight rooms that rival professional setups, the opportunity to work towards a degree at Duke University, the potential to become a Duke legend and immortal, being coached by Coach K or Jon Scheyer, the chance of playing in an NCAAT, now being able to make money through NIL in college, playing on national television most games, the list goes on and on Ö

    Versus riding the greyhound bus on the Sioux Falls Skyforce to Oshkosh, Wisconsin to take on the Wisconsin Herd.
    Greyhound is the Cadillac of ground transportation. One could do much worse.

    https://youtu.be/W89japLjEf0

    Now I was standin' by the highway with the rain runnin' through my shoes
    With the sittin' by the road side wishin' I was inside Continental Trailways blues
    I got the wishin' I was downtown waitin' on a Greyhound
    Continental Trailways blues

  20. #480
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Looks like Jason Evans rented a billboard.

    Atlanta Hawks @ATLHawks

    City showing love to the rooks

    hawksbillboard.jpg

    4:13 PM ∑ Aug 2, 2021

Similar Threads

  1. Early 2021 Draft Chatter
    By scottdude8 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 187
    Last Post: 03-23-2021, 04:49 PM
  2. 2019 NBA Draft discussion
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 328
    Last Post: 06-25-2019, 11:01 AM
  3. Endless NBA Draft Discussion
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 02-15-2015, 10:47 AM
  4. NBA Draft Discussion: Wizards #1
    By theAlaskanBear in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 08:52 PM
  5. DBR Mock Draft discussion
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-23-2007, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •