Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Well this has to be my favorite announcement so far.

Maryland senior Darryl Morsell put out a statement thanking the coaching staff and fans because he's entering the NBA draft.

But to be safe, he's also entering his name in the transfer portal.

Oh, and he also has not ruled out returning to Maryland for a 5th season.

So to recap: Darryl Morsell does not know what he's going to do next year, but he's definitely going to do it.
    Is he though?

Marcus Bagley, playing for Hurley at ASU, enters his name for the NBA draft.

Well this has to be my favorite announcement so far.

Maryland senior Darryl Morsell put out a statement thanking the coaching staff and fans because he's entering the NBA draft.

But to be safe, he's also entering his name in the transfer portal.

Oh, and he also has not ruled out returning to Maryland for a 5th season.

So to recap: Darryl Morsell does not know what he's going to do next year, but he's definitely going to do it.
    Welcome to the state of affairs of NCAA basketball in 2021. This seems funny at first, but can you blame the guy? Why not keep all his options open?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Welcome to the state of affairs of NCAA basketball in 2021. This seems funny at first, but can you blame the guy? Why not keep all his options open?
    Of course, one could do that without making any kind of announcement...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    He's also considering going back to high school and reopening his recruitment from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    He's also considering going back to high school and reopening his recruitment from there.
    Since he chose Maryland, that is clearly the smart option. But...Since he chose Maryland, he won't take the smart option.

I’m not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but Armando Bacot has announced he is testing the waters.

Armando Bacot "testing the waters" of the NBA draft:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Armando Bacot has announced he is testing the waters.
    It seems that our guys, even those who are not obvious NBA material, tend to declare and hire agents...they rarely test the waters. I wonder why? Could it be that they come in with such a strong OAD mentality (“if Duke recruits me I must be good enough to be a OAD”) or does the Duke staff advise them to go all-in once they make that decision. I sure wish some (like DJ) would test first.

I haven’t checked the history to support my theory that they don’t often test the waters, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    It seems that our guys, even those who are not obvious NBA material, tend to declare and hire agents...they rarely test the waters. I wonder why? Could it be that they come in with such a strong OAD mentality (“if Duke recruits me I must be good enough to be a OAD”) or does the Duke staff advise them to go all-in once they make that decision. I sure wish some (like DJ) would test first.

I haven’t checked the history to support my theory that they don’t often test the waters, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
    Since this a Duke fan site and we can state our opinion of what the coaching staff would think without asking the coaching staff....

I would think that for building a roster I would prefer that there be no uncertainty. If someone wants to go pro, hire an agent. The staff will definitely know they had another scholarship open and a need for a player at the position that is vacated. The staff can then go ahead without any uncertainty and work to fill the roster spot.

I suspect with all of K's connections they don't need to "test the waters". They'll get a solid understanding of where they stand and can make an informed decision from there.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I suspect with all of K's connections they don't need to "test the waters". They'll get a solid understanding of where they stand and can make an informed decision from there.

-jk
    Well, yeah...but DJ? And it seems there have been others who should have had a solid understanding that they might not get drafted, or at least not in the first round, but they went anyway. I guess they are still making an “informed decision”...just not one that makes sense to some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Too funny

I recall Javin and Marques testing the waters (no agent) a couple of years ago, with Javin opting to come back and Marques going pro. But my perception is the same as yours. Our guys seem to go "all-in". While not a ton of data, my quick scan of the last 10 years seems to bear that out. Sharper folks on the board can tell me otherwise.

If I recall correctly (a dubious premise), both Frank Jackson and Gary Trent Jr. declared without hiring an agent at first. Both evidently liked what they heard. Given that each was an early second round pick (Jackson was #31 overall, Trent #37 overall), they were likely informed that they had a chance of going in the first round but otherwise certainly would be picked in the second round.

Also, I was getting ready to clown some GMs for letting Gary slip to #37, but looking back that was a pretty solid draft. Of the 36 picks before him, 30 are currently playing in the NBA, and 5 played in the NBA in 2020 with a chance to return soon (Jacob Evans, Dzanan Musa, Omari Spellman, Elie Okobo, Melvin Frazier). Only one is seemingly out of the picture completely: #16 pick Zhaire Smith, whose career was derailed by an extreme allergic reaction to sesame (seriously). Sure, Gary turned out to be better than some of the guys drafted ahead of him (the ones mentioned above, plus Jerome Robinson, Troy Brown Jr., Chandler Hutchison, Aaron Holiday, Mo Wagner, Lonnie Walker), but for the most part the GMs picked NBA-ready guys. Good work everyone.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    I recall Javin and Marques testing the waters (no agent) a couple of years ago, with Javin opting to come back and Marques going pro. But my perception is the same as yours. Our guys seem to go "all-in". While not a ton of data, my quick scan of the last 10 years seems to bear that out. Sharper folks on the board can tell me otherwise.
    Yup. Frank Jackson also "tested the waters" before going all in. Anecdotally definitely doesn't seem to happen as much for us as elsewhere, but it does happen.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

If I recall correctly (a dubious premise), both Frank Jackson and Gary Trent Jr. declared without hiring an agent at first. Both evidently liked what they heard. Given that each was an early second round pick (Jackson was #31 overall, Trent #37 overall), they were likely informed that they had a chance of going in the first round but otherwise certainly would be picked in the second round.

Also, I was getting ready to clown some GMs for letting Gary slip to #37, but looking back that was a pretty solid draft. Of the 36 picks before him, 30 are currently playing in the NBA, and 5 played in the NBA in 2020 with a chance to return soon (Jacob Evans, Dzanan Musa, Omari Spellman, Elie Okobo, Melvin Frazier). Only one is seemingly out of the picture completely: #16 pick Zhaire Smith, whose career was derailed by an extreme allergic reaction to sesame (seriously). Sure, Gary turned out to be better than some of the guys drafted ahead of him (the ones mentioned above, plus Jerome Robinson, Troy Brown Jr., Chandler Hutchison, Aaron Holiday, Mo Wagner, Lonnie Walker), but for the most part the GMs picked NBA-ready guys. Good work everyone.
    Gary is improving rapidly and I'm excited to see how he does in Toronto. He has more room for growth than most of our other Duke folks in the NBA currently.

I believe Javin DeLaurier is the only Duke player to "test the water" and subsequently return to Duke.

Iirc, Frank and Gary both went to the combine, and played in the scrimmages and did extremely well in the first few. So they pulled out of the later scrimmages (which someone on here said was normal if they were getting good feedback and/or guarantees). I don’t remember when either of them hired an agent, but I think at least Frank’s play at the combine affected his decision.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Gary is improving rapidly and I'm excited to see how he does in Toronto. He has more room for growth than most of our other Duke folks in the NBA currently.
    Toronto is looking to do an "abbreviated" rebuild considering they have a solid young core of VanVleet, Siakam, and Anunoby. Trent has fit perfectly into that group. If Toronto can find a young 5 with upside (they aren't low enough down in the lottery for this to be likely, but Evan Mobley would be an incredible fit) that group could make noise for years to come. Maybe not a superstar level ceiling, but a complete team that would compete and be very good defensively. I'm excited to see how Trent continues to develop as a Raptor.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!