Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

2021 NBA Draft Discussion

This has probably cropped up elsewhere but we need a dedicated thread for it at this point.

Not the first, but the latest notable one for the ACC, Justin Champagnie is testing the NBA Draft process. Not fully committed yet, not signing with an agent, but he wants to see what the NBA thinks about his prospects.

I feel like much of what he does is a product of effort and smarts... that kinda thing works well in college but often is tough to pull off at the next level. At 6-6, he does not have the size to play PF in the NBA and he doesn't seem to have the kind of outside shot of a typical NBA wing. I'm not saying he has no chance, but I would be a bit surprised if he got any kind of first round feedback from NBA teams.

-Jason "need to catch this thread up with a bunch of other decisions made in recent days" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Other recent decisions --

* JT Thor of Auburn is testing the waters. He could stay as he has a ton of potential and is the kind of kid a team could take a swing on in the 2nd round.

* West Virginia's Sean McNeil also testing out the draft. A good shooter, for sure, but not a PG and at 6-3, tough to see how he lands in the league.

* As has been mentioned elsewhere, Kentucky's BJ Boston and Terrence Clark are in the draft and have no plans to pull out. Isaiah Jackson is testing the waters. He will likely be a first rounder, but there is talk he could come back because he wants to earn his way into the lottery.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Other recent decisions --

* JT Thor of Auburn is testing the waters. He could stay as he has a ton of potential and is the kind of kid a team could take a swing on in the 2nd round.

I'm amazed we haven't already had a pun-fest sub-theme on J.T. Thor. The usual suspects are off their game.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm amazed we haven't already had a pun-fest sub-theme on J.T. Thor. The usual suspects are off their game.
    If you insist...

Will he bring the hammer?

What's the pull-out date for the draft this year for those testing?

-jk

Do players now have the option to come back to school if they don't get drafted or did I completely dream that up?

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    What's the pull-out date for the draft this year for those testing?

-jk
    Great question. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have set the date for the draft or any of the events leading up to it. The NBA Finals are July 8-22 so the draft likely will be delayed again. So this year could be interesting, especially for teams with players on the fence about going pro and all of the other decisions that are made that might depend on those decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    If you insist...

Now that's comical.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Now that's comical.
    With the 25th pick of the first round, the Asgard Aesirs select . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    If you insist...

No. He's keeping it low key.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    No. He's keeping it low key.
    sporks
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Thor is intriguing as a Center but what most teams need is someone who can play Asgard.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Great question. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have set the date for the draft or any of the events leading up to it. The NBA Finals are July 8-22 so the draft likely will be delayed again. So this year could be interesting, especially for teams with players on the fence about going pro and all of the other decisions that are made that might depend on those decisions.
    I heard on a podcast the other day (The Ringer?) that the NBA hasnt set dates for draft stuff yet. Still very much in flux.

Duke Quarantine

I assume our guys are out of quarantine by now, which should start to generate some decisions being made on the future.

Does anyone have any update to share on our guys getting league feedback about their prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I assume our guys are out of quarantine by now, which should start to generate some decisions being made on the future.

Does anyone have any update to share on our guys getting league feedback about their prospects?
    Does quarantine really impact the decision? Wouldn't they announce via Zoom/Teams anyway? Quarantine doesn't impact your digital communications. I'm sure all these players are still speaking with Coach K via digital platforms.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

UNC big man enters the draft:

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    UNC big man enters the draft:
    Ole Roy's Midas touch of being able to recruit top-20 recruits, bring them off the bench as freshman, and still get them to come back as sophomores appears to have slipped away. Bradley, then Little, and now Sharpe have all decided to go pro rather than "develop" at UNC as sophomores. And Kessler chose to transfer.

So much of Roy's success has been based on having loads of talent AND experience. When he hasn't had both, his teams haven't fared well.

It's seeming very much like he'll be relying on some home runs in the transfer market to be competitive with the big boys next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Ole Roy's Midas touch of being able to recruit top-20 recruits, bring them off the bench as freshman, and still get them to come back as sophomores appears to have slipped away. Bradley, then Little, and now Sharpe have all decided to go pro rather than "develop" at UNC as sophomores. And Kessler chose to transfer.

So much of Roy's success has been based on having loads of talent AND experience. When he hasn't had both, his teams haven't fared well.

It's seeming very much like he'll be relying on some home runs in the transfer market to be competitive with the big boys next year.
    Agree he will be going after transfers, CDU. In fact isn’t he already? I think I read that he reached out to the Louisville de-commit from Raleigh, although I think that young man already picked another school (Ole Miss maybe?)

It will be interesting to see what Love and Bacot decide to do. Either one may test the waters. Or transfer.

Mr. Sharpe pointedly, maybe, did not thank coach Huck, just the "coaches".
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Roy's response.
    "Day'Ron is going be a fantastic professional player," Williams' statement says. "I loved coaching him. He has a tremendously high motor. He's naturally one of the greatest rebounders I've ever coached and a young man I just truly enjoyed. I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶i̶p̶l̶i̶n̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶c̶u̶s̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶u̶n̶b̶e̶l̶i̶e̶v̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶f̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶ He's not ready., j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶u̶n̶b̶e̶l̶i̶e̶v̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶u̶s̶ he needs to stay in Chapel Hill.

̶I̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶a̶c̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ Dadgummit.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."