Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    If you really are going to try to decipher William's tweet, it's probably worth considering that it was in response to Henry Coleman's tweet that was just the following emoticon

;(

or perhaps it is the other way around?
    I dont even have twitter, so I wouldnt even pretend to try and decipher...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    HUGE NEWS!!!!!

Mark Williams just tweeted this ---> https://twitter.com/MarkWi1liams/sta...96588293611524

(Shhhh, don't tell anyone but I have no idea what this means... but it is better than seeing him tweet "I'm thinking about it" or something like that)
    Is it time to pull out the pancake bunny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Is it time to pull out the pancake bunny
    The pancake bunny and violent gerbil are two all-time DBR greats.

VCU sophomore guard Bones Hyland will enter the 2021 NBA Draft and sign with an agent.

Bones led VCU in scoring as a sophomore this past season, averaging 19.5 points per game, at an incredible 44.7% accuracy, shooting 86.2% from the line.

He’s currently listed as an early 2nd round pick on NBADraft.net’s 2021 mock draft (33rd overall to the New York Knicks).

Jalen Suggs officially announced his NBA plans today which is no surprise, but the interesting thing to me is he's auctioning off his buzzer-beater against UCLA as an NFT. A sign of the times for sure...(The winner also gets signed game-worn shoes).
    https://sports.yahoo.com/gonzaga-sta...192950961.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Jalen Suggs officially announced his NBA plans today which is no surprise, but the interesting thing to me is he's auctioning off his buzzer-beater against UCLA as an NFT. A sign of the times for sure...(The winner also gets signed game-worn shoes).
    He certainly gets creativity points.

I'll start by saying "get off my lawn" so you have some context....

What the heck is an NFT?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/expla...175711040.html

I even read the article linked above and it starts with the comment "The trend is perplexing those who might wonder why so much money is being spent on items that only exist in digital form and can be viewed by anyone for free.". It then says "An NFT is a digital asset that exists on a blockchain. The blockchain serves as a public ledger, allowing anyone to verify the asset's authenticity and ownership.".

This all works until someone hacks the "block chain" and decrypts it....(maybe this belongs in the off-topic area).

I don't mean to take us down the messy path of understanding the cryptoverse, but I don't understand why he has exclusive rights to sell the NFT of his shot. Couldn't I go out and make an NFT of the same thing? I guess this is equivalent to the art world - I could make a perfect replica or a Mondrian painting (it really isn't that hard) but because he made it, his is worth a lot more than mine?

Now get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I don't mean to take us down the messy path of understanding the cryptoverse, but I don't understand why he has exclusive rights to sell the NFT of his shot. Couldn't I go out and make an NFT of the same thing? I guess this is equivalent to the art world - I could make a perfect replica or a Mondrian painting (it really isn't that hard) but because he made it, his is worth a lot more than mine?

Now get off my lawn.
    Don't ask, just pay for it in your favorite form of crypto and let the value increase. Easy peasy...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Now get off my lawn.
    If I were the photographer, my agent would be emailing him and knocking on his door.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I don’t think it’s the actual footage of the buzzer beater. If you play the video, it’s just a picture of him in a blue jersey and a bunch of “The Shot” graphics overlay on it and the whole thing gets psychedelic. I think THAT is the NFT. Could be 100% wrong here though.

Evan Mobley also declared for the NBA draft a couple days ago by creating a NFT: https://apnews.com/article/technolog...38944056d4aab2

The 7-footer revealed his long-expected decision in a unique way. He posted a 21-second NFT (nonfungible token) on Twitter on Friday that he autographed and is auctioning on a blockchain-based marketplace.

“I’m headed to the league,” it said. “This has always been my dream and, through this NFT, I’m making my announcement that I’ll officially be turning pro. This right here is the new “rookie card” - and it’s 1-of-1.”

Mobley went on to say the auction winner will receive signed jerseys from USC and his first NBA team as well as two tickets to one of his rookie games and a meet-and-greet.
    I will be very interested in seeing how much these NBA draft NFTs go for. I suppose that if Suggs or Mobley go on to be huge all-pros, the NFT of their very first pro move could have some enhanced value some day.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Now get off my lawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I don’t think it’s the actual footage of the buzzer beater. If you play the video, it’s just a picture of him in a blue jersey and a bunch of “The Shot” graphics overlay on it and the whole thing gets psychedelic. I think THAT is the NFT. Could be 100% wrong here though.

Wow, I think LasVegas is right and that makes much more sense now. It's basically the "digital art" of the picture/"The Shot" graphics as opposed to the footage which I agree he probably doesn't have the "rights" to...Apologies if I worded it unclearly. Given he created the video/"digital art" he can sell it and authenticate the new owner through blockchain.

NFT is an umbrella term for any asset that has been verified using blockchain technology, a record keeping method in which a network of computers gives buyers proof of authenticity and ownership by recording transactions. The basic purpose of NFTs is to permanently connect a digital file to its creator, giving artists a way to transform digital work that could have been endlessly copied into something unique, making it sellable.

When someone purchases an NFT, what they are effectively receiving is the knowledge they own the official version of a virtual thing. A simple way to conceptualize this, using physical art as an example, is that anyone can buy a print of a painting but only one person can own the original piece of art at a time..
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...releasing-nft/

UCLA's breakout star of the tournament, Johnny Juzang, has declared for the NBA draft but says he is not 100% in and will maintain his collegiate eligibility. He's "testing the waters" and it is quite uncertain what he will hear. He could decide to stay in and he could decide to come back. That decision will be really significant as UCLA brings back just about every other significant player on the roster and is a pre-season top 5 team if he returns.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    UCLA's breakout star of the tournament, Johnny Juzang, has declared for the NBA draft but says he is not 100% in and will maintain his collegiate eligibility. He's "testing the waters" and it is quite uncertain what he will hear. He could decide to stay in and he could decide to come back. That decision will be really significant as UCLA brings back just about every other significant player on the roster and is a pre-season top 5 team if he returns.
    But would UCLA be a deserving top 5 team? Before the tournament, UCLA was KenPom's #44 team (11 spots below Duke), with a #11 seed, playing in the First Four. Does a decent five game run from a team that according to Pomeroy was virtually identical to Arizona (if Arizona brings back just about every other significant player on its roster, would Arizona be top 5 too?) really merit such lofty status?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    But would UCLA be a deserving top 5 team? Before the tournament, UCLA was KenPom's #44 team (11 spots below Duke), with a #11 seed, playing in the First Four. Does a decent five game run from a team that according to Pomeroy was virtually identical to Arizona (if Arizona brings back just about every other significant player on its roster, would Arizona be top 5 too?) really merit such lofty status?
    Based on what we saw in the tournament, I think they would have put up a better game against Baylor than Gonzaga did . . .

To be fair, they might also be adding back Chris Smith (a starter, the second-leading scorer and leading rebounder who missed most of the season with injury) and Peyton Watson (a top-10ish recruit) to the group. So, yeah, a top-45 team with everyone coming back and adding two impact pieces probably does deserve to be in the discussion for top-5.

Granted, whether or not they would actually BE top-5 is hard to say, as there is a lot of turnover.

I think the answer is a firm “yes,” if “deserving” means deserving a very high preseason ranking. Of course lots can change between “Way Too Early” predictions and, say, next October, after the recruiting and transfer portal dust settles.

I would not have imagined ever admiring and rooting for a UCLA bball team. Would have said I hope they never win anything ever again, certainly not the NCAAT. I hadn’t seen them at all until the First Four v. Sparty. To my great surprise, I really enjoyed the way they played. Their were fun to watch, lots of fun, smart basketball. Had no idea, and was very surprised to learn, that they came into the tourney on a 4-game losing streak. I watched their every game in the tourney.

I’m not surprised that they were but #44 in KP before the tourney, but not surprised they wound up #13, either.

I’d guess you watched lots of the tourney. If you saw most of UCLA’s tourney run, and weren’t intrigued and impressed with their play, their hustle, spacing, and movement, the toughness of their only big (Riley), the regular clutch play of Jaquez and Juzang, I’d be genuinely surprised. By the eye test, mine and I’d have thought yours, too, they looked much, much better than a KP #44 team.

They’ll get back (probably) their presumed best player, Chris Smith, tall wing, who was injured most of last season, and add a solid backup center from Rutgers plus a top 10-12 PG frosh recruit.

So unless they lose a couple into the portal, I’d guess they will be a deserving consensus top 5, if either Juzang or Smith suits up for them next fall. If both, I’d expect them to be a deserving consensus preseason #2.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    FWIW NBADraft.net (not the best site, I know, but a free one) has Juzang in the lottery. That's pretty high from what I've seen elsewhere, but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a 1st round grade given the shot he showed in the tournament. His rapid rise has some parallels to Donte DiVincenzo a few years back, who parlayed a hot shooting tournament (and specifically a stellar performance against my Wolverines in the National Title game) into being the #17 overall pick. Juzang could find himself in a similar situation, from off most draft boards to a first round pick after showcasing his shooting. For those arguing for the NCAA and against the G-League, this could be an example to turn to in the future about how the exposure of the tournament yields tangible results with regards to draft stock...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

At least in hindsight (and maybe even without such benefit) it seems like UCLA may have been significantly underseeded. They had bad losses during the year to Stanford (by one point in OT on the road) and Washington State also on the road.

Their other losses were to:

at San Diego State in November. (#6 seed in NCAAT; finished #30 in KenPom)
    at Ohio State (#2 seed in NCAAT; finished #11 in KenPom) - technically a neutral but at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland
    USC twice (#6 seed in NCAAT, killed Kansas and made it to Elite 8; finished #6 in KenPom)
    at Colorado (#5 seed in NCAAT; finished #8 in KenPom)
    at Oregon (#7 seed in NCAAT, trounced Iowa and made it to Sweet 16; finished #16 in KenPom)
    Pac 12 Tournament vs. Oregon State. (Elite Eight team)

In its NCAAT run, UCLA took care of Michigan State, BYU (final KenPom #20), #2 seed Alabama (final KenPom #9), and #1 seed Michigan (final KenPom #3) before losing the heartbreaking buzzerbeater to Gonzaga.

UCLA itself finished #13 in KenPom.

I can see them legitimately ranked in the preseason top 5 if Juzang returns and especially is Smith is back. The G league is trying to poach Watson (which would make Mick Cronin's head explode after they got Nix last year) but if that fails, UCLA is going to be really solid.