Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    And now Virginia out as well. Not a great year for the ACC. And UVA out in the first round 2 of the last 3 tournaments. Course they did pretty well the other year...
    And Duke finished tenth with 9-9 record in ACC regular season.

That was a fun game. Hated to see the Hoos go down . I’m a fan of the program. OH made that clutch 3 then 6 straight free throws. Except for the turnover on the in bounds play after Huffs basket that led to another Huff basket, the Bobcats were perfect down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Yeah. Hard to argue that Duke would have made noise in this tournament.

Tony Bennett falls to 16-9 in the NCAAT at UVa. Two one and done appearances with losses to a 16 seed and 13 seed in 2018 and 2021 sandwiched around a national championship in 2019.

College basketball is weird ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yeah. Hard to argue that Duke would have made noise in this tournament.
    Oh ye of little faith.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Tony Bennett falls to 16-9 in the NCAAT at UVa. Two one and done appearances with losses to a 16 seed and 13 seed in 2018 and 2021 sandwiched around a national championship in 2019.

Clearly the game has passed him by. Time to hang em up, Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Well, Duke did finish tied for 3rd in the conference in terms of the number of NCAA tourney games won. Of course, so did BC.

I will give the Hoos credit for fighting until the end, but when you get down by 7 with one minute left and the opponent makes six straight free throws...

And the year of their title they were down 10 to a 16 seed in the first round and I believe had statistically less than a 10% chance of winning in the last minute of their last 3 games. It’s a fine line.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Well, Duke did finish tied for 3rd in the conference in terms of the number of NCAA tourney games won. Of course, so did BC.
    And one of three teams to finish the ACC tournament undefeated this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktower View Post
    Combined seed numbers of UVA’s losses in the last three NCAATs: 29. Hard to do when one of those years includes no loss.
    Our two combined losses in 2012 and 2014 also totaled to 29, and we only made the elite eight in the in-between year. Careful with the gloating.

Well, that sucked. Tough to win when your offense is built around 2 guys and they simultaneously turn in their worst (Hauser) and 2nd worst (Huff) shooting nights of the season.

Really, really unclear how UVA will look next year. There’s a ton of talent on the roster (mostly in the backcourt), but it has seriously failed to come together so far, disappointing development. We ended up starting two pass-first PGs, neither of whom could shoot. The offense was all in the front court, and most of it is graduating. There’s some talent in the front court but it’s shallow for next year and there’s two huge holes to fill, hopefully with a transfer.

Perhaps worst of all, this years team really lacked intensity. Despite being big, they got pushed around by smaller teams that played physical ball (like GT) and their defense was, by UVA standards, off-the-charts bad.

It’s particularly tough because 2020 was supposed to be the rebuilding year, and this was supposed to be the good year. COVID certainly messed things up, but UVAs outlook for the following season is the weakest it’s been in years.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottHoo View Post
    Well, that sucked. Tough to win when your offense is built around 2 guys and they simultaneously turn in their worst (Hauser) and 2nd worst (Huff) shooting nights of the season.

Really, really unclear how UVA will look next year. There’s a ton of talent on the roster (mostly in the backcourt), but it has seriously failed to come together so far, disappointing development. We ended up starting two pass-first PGs, neither of whom could shoot. The offense was all in the front court, and most of it is graduating. There’s some talent in the front court but it’s shallow for next year and there’s two huge holes to fill, hopefully with a transfer.

Perhaps worst of all, this years team really lacked intensity. Despite being big, they got pushed around by smaller teams that played physical ball (like GT) and their defense was, by UVA standards, off-the-charts bad.

It’s particularly tough because 2020 was supposed to be the rebuilding year, and this was supposed to be the good year. COVID certainly messed things up, but UVAs outlook for the following season is the weakest it’s been in years.
    Seniors have the option of returning next year due to Covid I believe. Huff and Hauser were 5th year seniors this year, but if I’m not mistaken, they have the option to come back. Any idea if they’ll return as 6th year seniors?

Seniors have the option of returning next year due to Covid I believe. Huff and Hauser were 5th year seniors this year, but if I’m not mistaken, they have the option to come back. Any idea if they’ll return as 6th year seniors?
    True, and thanks for the note of optimism. Sadly, they’ve both made clear they’re gone. Which is tough, because Huff and Hauser were both on the fringes of getting drafted. A great tournament could have made Hauser a 2nd round pick and Huff might have become a high 2nd rounder with guaranteed money. Instead they finished with this stinker which will set them both back while others move forward.

Honestly, I don’t think Huff really loves basketball. He likes it and he’s good at it and it’ll pay the bills, but I suspect he’ll retire sooner than one might expect and become a Sunday school teacher or something.

I'm usually the first among the pessimists, but I'm predicting a return to insane defensive "eliteness" next season, with a significant drop off in offense (though nowhere near as bad as the 19-20 team). For a program that's built on insane player development and S&C, a complete summer shutdown hammered us even more than the typical program. With Murphy, Clark, Beekman, Morsell all VERY experienced in the pack line now, we have an excellent defensive core. I fully expect Murphy to make big S&C gains, and some minor ballhandling/penetrating and finishing gains. He def has the potential to be a DeAndre Hunter type player for us. I also think Beekman will make big strides from year 1 to 2 overall.

Too many UVA fans scared because they see us losing offense, not enough excited because they see us improving greatly on defense. I don't expect us to be a great top 5/final four type of team. But I bet you we'll be in the mix for an ACC reg season title again.

True, and thanks for the note of optimism. Sadly, they’ve both made clear they’re gone. Which is tough, because Huff and Hauser were both on the fringes of getting drafted. A great tournament could have made Hauser a 2nd round pick and Huff might have become a high 2nd rounder with guaranteed money. Instead they finished with this stinker which will set them both back while others move forward.

Honestly, I don’t think Huff really loves basketball. He likes it and he’s good at it and it’ll pay the bills, but I suspect he’ll retire sooner than one might expect and become a Sunday school teacher or something.

I feel the same way about Hauser. Neither of those guys, while supremely skilled, seemed to have the burning desire/will/heart to succeed at the highest level/when the lights are brightest.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This is as good a thread as any to compare conference performance in the NCAAT. Only winning teams listed. Play-in games noted in italics.

After ROUND OF 64, DAY 1

4-0: Big XII (Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, West Virginia)
    2-0: MVC (Loyola-Chicago; Drake won play-in and plays again Saturday)
    2-0: Pac-12 (Oregon State; UCLA won play-in and plays again Saturday)
    1-0: Big East (Villanova)
    1-0: Conference USA (North Texas)
    1-0: MEAC (Norfolk State won play-in and plays again Saturday)
    1-0: Summit (Oral Roberts)
    1-0: SWAC (Texas Southern won play-in and plays again Saturday)

3-3: Big Ten (Illinois, Rutgers, Wisconsin)
    2-1: SEC (Arkansas, Florida)
    1-1: American (Houston)
    1-4: ACC (Syracuse)

0-1: American East, Atlantic Sun, Big South, CAA, Horizon, NEC, OVC, Patriot, Sun Belt
    0-2: Mountain West
    After ROUND OF 64, DAY 2 (*includes play-in game win)

6-0*: Pac-12 (Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, USC)
    1-0: MAC (Ohio)
    1-0: Southland (Abilene Christian)

6-1: Big XII (Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, West Virginia)
    6-3: Big Ten (Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Rutgers, Wisconsin)
    4-2: SEC (Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Florida)
    2-1*: MVC (Loyola-Chicago)
    2-2: Big East (Creighton, Villanova)
    2-5: ACC (FSU, Syracuse)
    1-1: WCC (Gonzaga)

1-1*: MEAC
    1-1*: SWAC
    0-1: American East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, CAA, Horizon, MAAC, NEC, OVC, Patriot, Southern, Sun Belt, WAC
    0-2: Atlantic 10, Mountain West

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    After ROUND OF 64, DAY 2 (*includes play-in game win)

6-0*: Pac-12 (Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, USC)
    1-0: MAC (Ohio)
    1-0: Southland (Abilene Christian)

6-1: Big XII (Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, West Virginia)
    6-3: Big Ten (Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Rutgers, Wisconsin)
    4-2: SEC (Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Florida)
    2-1*: MVC (Loyola-Chicago)
    2-2: Big East (Creighton, Villanova)
    2-5: ACC (FSU, Syracuse)
    1-1: WCC (Gonzaga)

1-1*: MEAC
    1-1*: SWAC
    0-1: American East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, CAA, Horizon, MAAC, NEC, OVC, Patriot, Southern, Sun Belt, WAC
    0-2: Atlantic 10, Mountain West
    Now’s the time for a Walton “conference of champions” frenzy.

I thought Clark was awful on offense. How many of his open shots hit the front rim?

Lol at the Sunday school teacher. I loved watching Huff play. He seemed like a great teammate and guy but I agree it sometimes didn’t seem he had the fire that a Ty Jerome, Kyle Guy, Malcolm Brogdon, Joe Harris, or DeAndre Hunter had. But there aren’t many 7-1 guys that can shoot like him. He has some serious skills. He had a great career at UVa and represented the school and program excellently. I’m really going to miss watching him play. Guess Hauser and Woldetensae will be gone too. I’m excited for Clark to be a senior. He is tough as nails. He will lead his team beautifully next year. I’m excited for the development of Murphy and Beekman, too. UVa will be good again next year, but probably not elite. Maybe top 15-20 with a shot at an ACC title (because let’s be honest, they are usually going to be near the top the way they defend), and hopefully a shot at a run in the NCAAT next year. That’s all you can ask for.

Look how far UVa has come as a program under Tony Bennett. Gone are the days when it doesn’t hurt to see them lose early in March. I was disappointed last night for them because I wanted to see a potential sweet 16 matchup against Gonzaga again.