Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    First and foremost:

Schadenfreude lives!

As for the rest of the ACC:

1. Congrats to Syracuse. I had picked them, but never did I think that they would score so easily. SDSU looked terrible and Buddy Boeheim was on fire. They may be able to beat Huggy Bear and make the S16.

2. I was stunned GaTech gave Loyola a game. When Wright went out, I totally wrote them off. And yes, the subsequent lack of rebounding was stunning. But they hung tough and really pressed an underseeded Loyola team. Hats off to them for the effort, but close didn't cut it.

3. I thought Brownell really screwed up the endgame vs Rutgers. The Tigers had fouls to give, so they needed to at least try to steal. If Rutgers ran the clock down and took a shot, at best Clemson (with no timeouts, I believe) would only have had about 5 seconds left to get a bucket to tie. So laying back and playing defense? Total brain lock.

4. VaTech played well. Alleyne was such a stud for them. But Alumna didn't show as well as he could have. And the Gator's Mann hit some big shots.

Not ACC, but I'll throw it in here. Oral Roberts never played like an underdog that whole game against Ohio State. Abmas was Steph-esque in that game. I had OSU in the FF. I swear, most of the time I take a Big 10 team to go far, they let me down. I have the Illini winning it all. After today's Big 10 showing, I am damn worried.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    there's a reason despite their superior rebounding, UNC is #30KP and wisconsin was top 10. Wisconsin was a huge underseed from a stats perspective, and todays games have largely made the ACC look every bit as poor as supposed...not that purdue or OSU flattered the big 10...but i'll hold the jury out on them given illinois pending the iowa and michigan games tomorrow.
    It seems like the strategy for OSU and Purdue was to use their size by forcing the ball inside. This resulted in a lot of turnovers and when the bigs were fouled, they were poor from the FT line. Meanwhile, their opponents, and in particular, Oral Roberts, moved the ball around the perimeter and had and made 3 point shots. OSU really looked bad as did Purdue.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This is as good a thread as any to compare conference performance in the NCAAT. Only winning teams listed. Play-in games noted in italics.

After ROUND OF 64, DAY 1

4-0: Big XII (Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, West Virginia)
    2-0: MVC (Loyola-Chicago; Drake won play-in and plays again Saturday)
    2-0: Pac-12 (Oregon State; UCLA won play-in and plays again Saturday)
    1-0: Big East (Villanova)
    1-0: Conference USA (North Texas)
    1-0: MEAC (Norfolk State won play-in and plays again Saturday)
    1-0: Summit (Oral Roberts)
    1-0: SWAC (Texas Southern won play-in and plays again Saturday)

3-3: Big Ten (Illinois, Rutgers, Wisconsin)
    2-1: SEC (Arkansas, Florida)
    1-1: American (Houston)
    1-4: ACC (Syracuse)

0-1: American East, Atlantic Sun, Big South, CAA, Horizon, NEC, OVC, Patriot, Sun Belt
    0-2: Mountain West
    The two biggest upsets were Ohio St 2 v 15 and Purdue 4 v 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    The two biggest upsets were Ohio St 2 v 15 and Purdue 4 v 12.
    Agreed. It seems the ACC was seeded correctly...the only game that could really be considered an upset was the Clemson game, and 10 beating 7 is not that surprising. But the two BIG 10 losses were huge upsets, which makes me wonder if that conference was over-rated. While the Illini seem to be strong, I am not going too put too much stock into their big win (yet), as a 1 seed should blow out a 16. But here’s hoping for another day of huge upsets! This year, I would love to see a final four made up of double digit seeds (or at least 8+).

Since Duke is not playing(see Zion's remarks) I'm being consoled by the fact Michigan State and Uncheats are out of the tournament and Kentucky had a worse season than Duke. GoCavs and GoPack.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Since Duke is not playing(see Zion's remarks) I'm being consoled by the fact Michigan State and Uncheats are out of the tournament and Kentucky had a worse season than Duke. GoCavs and GoPack.

GoDuke!
    This. Hate the cheats, don’t understand the Izzo love - glad kentucky never made it to the dance.

Especially loved all the pre-tournament talk about old huckleberry being 29-0 in first round games and soon to be 30-0.

Big Xii

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    This is as good a thread as any to compare conference performance in the NCAAT. Only winning teams listed. Play-in games noted in italics.

After ROUND OF 64, DAY 1

4-0: Big XII (Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, West Virginia)
    2-0: MVC (Loyola-Chicago; Drake won play-in and plays again Saturday)
    2-0: Pac-12 (Oregon State; UCLA won play-in and plays again Saturday)
    1-0: Big East (Villanova)
    1-0: Conference USA (North Texas)
    1-0: MEAC (Norfolk State won play-in and plays again Saturday)
    1-0: Summit (Oral Roberts)
    1-0: SWAC (Texas Southern won play-in and plays again Saturday)

3-3: Big Ten (Illinois, Rutgers, Wisconsin)
    2-1: SEC (Arkansas, Florida)
    1-1: American (Houston)
    1-4: ACC (Syracuse)

0-1: American East, Atlantic Sun, Big South, CAA, Horizon, NEC, OVC, Patriot, Sun Belt
    0-2: Mountain West
    The ten teams in the Big XII played some really tough basketball this year, so I'm not surprised they have gone 4-0. Texas and Kansas should win today, but I don't know about Oklahoma-Missouri in the 8/9 game.

Shaka needs to get Texas at least to the sweet 16 since he has four seniors along with with a freshman and a sophomore who are projected to go in the first round. He has yet to win an NCAA game at Texas so he has to take advantage of the opportunity this time around.

But getting back to the subject at hand, the 1-4 and the fact that Duke couldn't get in are really disappointing.

I expect FSU and UVa to win easily today, but would you really be surprised to see one or both lose? Yikes.

I knew it was a down year for the ACC, but ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I expect FSU and UVa to win easily today, but would you really be surprised to see one or both lose? Yikes.

A down year for the conference and we still couldn’t make the Tournament. Underscores what a down year it was for the Blue Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    A down year for the conference and we still couldn’t make the Tournament. Underscores what a down year it was for the Blue Devils.
    Agreed. There's definitely not a world beater in the conference this year.

They both win today- although UVa is an unknown given their preparation. The ACC was weak but I expect that will change next year.

Tough end of the year for UNC recently.

2018: Lose to Virginia in the ACC Tournament Final; 2-seed, lose by 21 to 7-seed Texas A&M in the second round
    2019: Lose to Duke in the ACC Tournament Semifinal; 1-seed, lose by 17 to 5-seed Auburn in the Sweet 16
    2020: Lose by 28 to Syracuse in the ACC Tournament second round; 14-19 season
    2021: Lose to FSU in the ACC Tournament Semifinal; 8-seed, lose by 23 to 9-seed Wisconsin in the first round

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Tough end of the year for UNC recently.

2018: Lose to Virginia in the ACC Tournament Final; 2-seed, lose by 21 to 7-seed Texas A&M in the second round
    2019: Lose to Duke in the ACC Tournament Semifinal; 1-seed, lose by 17 to 5-seed Auburn in the Sweet 16
    2020: Lose by 28 to Syracuse in the ACC Tournament second round; 14-19 season
    2021: Lose to FSU in the ACC Tournament Semifinal; 8-seed, lose by 23 to 9-seed Wisconsin in the first round
    Heels have looked good...

Heels still down by over 20!

This conference sucketh asseth greatly. Holy moly!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

The Cheats AND UVA lose in the first round! I’d call that a DARN good weekend!!!!

Since Duke isn’t it, that’s about the best outcome I could hope for!

Yes. I doubt they get past Michigan. UVa could either make the final four or be out immediately.
    Welp...

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    This conference sucketh asseth greatly. Holy moly!
    And now Virginia out as well. Not a great year for the ACC. And UVA out in the first round 2 of the last 3 tournaments. Course they did pretty well the other year...

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    And now Virginia out as well. Not a great year for the ACC. And UVA out in the first round 2 of the last 3 tournaments. Course they did pretty well the other year...
    "Not a great year" is putting it as mildly as our teams have bowed out of the tournament.

We may very likely not get a team to the second weekend.

Combined seed numbers of UVA’s losses in the last three NCAATs: 29. Hard to do when one of those years includes no loss.