Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Patrick Tape going to San Francisco. Hope he finds time there and can elevate that program. Gonzaga needs more competition in the WCC.
    Good luck to Patrick. Looking at their roster, they have several tall underclassmen, but given the transfer situation this year, who knows how many of them are returning. Their current coach is Todd Golden, who is 35 and just finished his second year there. Golden was an assistant at Columbia in 13-14, before Patrick was there. The coach at SF before Golden was Kyle Smith, who was likely the coach who recruited Patrick to Columbia (He left Columbia for SF in 2016, which I believe is when Patrick started at Columbia). Smith is now at Washington State. SF had a nice run of 20 win seasons before dropping to 11-14 this year.

And hopefully Patrick will be sure to wear some flowers in his hair...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well, Kessler.

As a general rule, K hasn't been inclined to circle back on people who said no to Duke. I think of guys like T.J. Leaf or Tyus Battle. Duke recruited both, hard. Both picked another school and then de-committed. But when they re-opened their recruitment, K did not pursue them a second time.

But as we have noted, we are living in times that are a changin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    True enough. Subject, of course, to the Patrick Tape exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I don't believe Duke recruited Tapé out of high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    No, but he did recant his choice to come to Duke before rechanging his mind.
    Are you implying K stuck with him?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    There have been 20 seasons of kenpom stats and this year was our 2nd worst season in terms of turnovers (2007 was the only year that was worse). Saying we were not a good passing team this season seems like a relatively safe statement to me.
    I don't pay to go behind Pomeroy's firewall, so I don't know exactly what turnover stat or adjustment you're citing. But I do know that in unadjusted turnover percentage, every Duke team from 2002 to 2008 had a worse turnover percentage than this year's team. Also Duke's 1999 team and every Duke team from 1987 to 1996. And I believe at least some of those teams were pretty good passing teams. So I'm not sure how safe a statement it is.

I'm also fairly sure that turnovers shouldn't be the sole metric used to judge passing, since turnovers include things like offensive fouls, travelling, stepping out of bounds, and dribbling off one's foot. You should at least include assists in the evaluation, and like I said in my earlier post, the 2020-21 Duke team was very good at assists.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Once Mark Williams began to get more minutes, our assists had to go up. Goldwire was especially proficient in getting the ball to Mark down low. I expect Roach to improve on getting the ball to him next season.

GoDuke!
    I don't know about our assist percentage, but you are correct that our average number of assists went up as Mark got more minutes.

In the 11 games after which Mark became a full time starter (beginning with the 1st UNC game) we averaged 18.3 assists per game, whereas in the previous 13 games we had been averaging only 14.3.

If you just take the last set of 6 games down the stretch in which Mark played pretty big minutes (I know there was one game earlier that he got big minutes in too) but if you just look at those six games down the stretch we averaged 18.7 assists per game, while in the previous 18 games of the season we had only been averaging 15.3.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I don't know about our assist percentage, but you are correct that our average number of assists went up as Mark got more minutes.

In the 11 games after which Mark became a full time starter (beginning with the 1st UNC game) we averaged 18.3 assists per game, whereas in the previous 13 games we had been averaging only 14.3.

If you just take the last set of 6 games down the stretch in which Mark played pretty big minutes (I know there was one game earlier that he got big minutes in too) but if you just look at those six games down the stretch we averaged 18.7 assists per game, while in the previous 18 games of the season we had only been averaging 15.3.
    FWIW, no Duke team since at least 1987 (I haven't calculated stats before that) has averaged more than 18.1 assists per game for the full season.

Virginia guard Casey Morsell has selected NC State. After he put his name into the portal earlier this week, UNC was blowing up thinking they were going to get him. He played a small role this past season but was expected to make a jump. Always happy to see the CHeats miss out on a guy, and happy for State.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

And hopefully Patrick will be sure to wear some flowers in his hair...
    He’s 54 years too late for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't pay to go behind Pomeroy's firewall, so I don't know exactly what turnover stat or adjustment you're citing. But I do know that in unadjusted turnover percentage, every Duke team from 2002 to 2008 had a worse turnover percentage than this year's team. Also Duke's 1999 team and every Duke team from 1987 to 1996. And I believe at least some of those teams were pretty good passing teams. So I'm not sure how safe a statement it is.

I'm also fairly sure that turnovers shouldn't be the sole metric used to judge passing, since turnovers include things like offensive fouls, travelling, stepping out of bounds, and dribbling off one's foot. You should at least include assists in the evaluation, and like I said in my earlier post, the 2020-21 Duke team was very good at assists.
    Pomeroy agrees with you regarding turnover percentage, but where I think the OP might have been going is that Duke was far worse relative to national averages. 18.3% last year put Duke at 144 in the nation. In 1997 when Duke’s TO rate was also 18.3, they were 7th in the nation in turnover rate.

Many more teams prioritizing ball control these days.
    Last edited by DukieTiger; 04-09-2021 at 03:22 PM. Reason: It’s Pomeroy, not Powerlifting, silly autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Pomeroy agrees with you regarding turnover percentage, but where I think the OP might have been going is that Duke was far worse relative to national averages. 18.3% last year put Duke at 144 in the nation. In 1997 when Duke’s TO rate was also 18.3, they were 7th in the nation in turnover rate.

Many more teams prioritizing ball control these days.
    That's interesting. I'm honestly not sure whether I think that makes the 2021 team more turnover-prone than the 1997 team, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    That's interesting. I'm honestly not sure whether I think that makes the 2021 team more turnover-prone than the 1997 team, or not.
    Maybe not but I would argue that the impact of those TOs is felt more now, which probably influences the perception that 2021 was more turnover prone than past teams with comparable numbers.

Noah Gurley no longer considering Duke.

https://247sports.com/Article/Basket...ley-163899681/

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Virginia guard Casey Morsell has selected NC State. After he put his name into the portal earlier this week, UNC was blowing up thinking they were going to get him. He played a small role this past season but was expected to make a jump. Always happy to see the CHeats miss out on a guy, and happy for State.
    We’re a little sad about that. Bennett LOVED Morsell in HS, but it just never quite worked out for him. He was brought in because he’s a good player and a good guy. It’s too bad that he’s leaving, but that means it didn’t work out, not that he’s not a good guy. And I’d really like to root for him in the future.

But it’s harder to do that when he’s on another ACC team. I guess I can root for him most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Noah Gurley no longer considering Duke.

https://247sports.com/Article/Basket...ley-163899681/
    When we spoke about Gurley on the DBR podcast earlier this week, I said that Duke going after him told me that we don't feel good about Matthew Hurt staying in Durham. There is no way you would expect Gurley to come be the 4th big man behind Hurt, Banchero, and Williams.

So, the fact that Duke and Gurley are no longer involved says to me that maybe... maybe... Duke feels a bit better about the possibility of Hurt sticking around.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

When we spoke about Gurley on the DBR podcast earlier this week, I said that Duke going after him told me that we don't feel good about Matthew Hurt staying in Durham. There is no way you would expect Gurley to come be the 4th big man behind Hurt, Banchero, and Williams.

So, the fact that Duke and Gurley are no longer involved says to me that maybe... maybe... Duke feels a bit better about the possibility of Hurt sticking around.
    Or that they’re high on Henry Coleman?

https://www.facebook.com/77895166880...120135906/?d=n

Garrison Brooks enters the transfer portal. I did not see that coming. Can’t say that I’m upset that Carolina is on the verge of losing all 4 of their big men.

Or it just means Gurley wants to go somewhere he can start, and one of Williams and Hurt is coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by tas11244 View Post
    Garrison Brooks enters the transfer portal. I did not see that coming. Can’t say that I’m upset that Carolina is on the verge of losing all 4 of their big men.
    It’s been speculated for a while that he would go and play for his father who is an assistant at Mississippi State

I will bathe in the tears of Tarheels tonight.

Recruiting
    Jayden Garner from ECU (announces Monday)
    Phlandrous Fleming from Charleston Southern

Coming in:
    Casey Morsell transfers from UVa. Our defense is already better
    Gregg Gantt Jr from Providence (4* prospect, but suffered Achilles injury as a frosh and never broke into the rotation)

Going out:
    Nick Farrar to Charleston
    Braxton Beverly going home to play COVID-shirt season at Eastern Kentucky
    Max Farthing (walk on). I don't remember where he is going.
    Last edited by PackMan97; 04-10-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Unfortunately, don't assume Kessler is gone for sure. Cheats going all out to get him back. Hubert apparently talked to the family and then went down to see him yesterday. Brooks leaving only opens the door fuller for Kessler to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Unfortunately, don't assume Kessler is gone for sure. Cheats going all out to get him back. Hubert apparently talked to the family and then went down to see him yesterday.
    Brendan Marks tweeted yesterday that Gonzaga and Auburn are still the “clubhouse leaders” for Kessler.