Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    Besides Boogie Ellis, are there any players in the portal that we already know?
    Walker Kessler?

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    Besides Boogie Ellis, are there any players in the portal that we already know?
    Well, Kessler.

As a general rule, K hasn't been inclined to circle back on people who said no to Duke. I think of guys like T.J. Leaf or Tyus Battle. Duke recruited both, hard. Both picked another school and then de-committed. But when they re-opened their recruitment, K did not pursue them a second time.

But as we have noted, we are living in times that are a changin'.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well, Kessler.

As a general rule, K hasn't been inclined to circle back on people who said no to Duke. I think of guys like T.J. Leaf or Tyus Battle. Duke recruited both, hard. Both picked another school and then de-committed. But when they re-opened their recruitment, K did not pursue them a second time.

But as we have noted, we are living in times that are a changin'.
    True enough. Subject, of course, to the Patrick Tape exception.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    True enough. Subject, of course, to the Patrick Tape exception.
    I don't believe Duke recruited Tapé out of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I don't believe Duke recruited Tape out of high school.
    No, but he did recant his choice to come to Duke before rechanging his mind.

Virginia picked up Armaan Franklin from Indiana. Should be a good boost for them.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    No, but he did recant his choice to come to Duke before rechanging his mind.
    Right. I had forgotten that strange interlude.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    2020/21 passing game was not good.
    On what do you base this? Our a/to ratio was better than 2020 or 2019 (both of Tre Jones's seasons), we had the 2nd-highest assist% since 2002, and the 2nd-highest assists per game since 2002.

My eyeballs . Our inability to execute winning plays. Your a smart statistician,but my simple mind saw losing basketball on many of the games I watched. I saw a lot of passes to our opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    On what do you base this? Our a/to ratio was better than 2020 or 2019 (both of Tre Jones's seasons), we had the 2nd-highest assist% since 2002, and the 2nd-highest assists per game since 2002.
    This is one of those things that assist and TO rates don’t quite capture. In a close game, we run a ball screen, get a switch with a guard on Hurt in the post but can’t make the entry pass. This situation seemed to happen a few times in close games, where lack of passing acumen cost points.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    This is one of those things that assist and TO rates don’t quite capture. In a close game, we run a ball screen, get a switch with a guard on Hurt in the post but can’t make the entry pass. This situation seemed to happen a few times in close games, where lack of passing acumen cost points.
    Once Mark Williams began to get more minutes, our assists had to go up. Goldwire was especially proficient in getting the ball to Mark down low. I expect Roach to improve on getting the ball to him next season.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Siena guard Jalen Pickett has entered the portal, may be a guard option Duke should look into.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...A-16087189.php
    Pickett had to attend prep school coming out of high school because he fell short of NCAA eligibility. I don't know anything about his academics at Siena but that situation might play a role in Duke offering him. He was not a highly sought player coming out of high school but he played very well as a freshman and sophomore. He even tested the NBA waters after his freshmen year. He was injured his junior year and didn't play as well as he did in his first two seasons. In his sophomore season he averaged 15 ppg, 46% FG, 69% FT, 37% on threes and 6 apg. He was MAAC player of the year. He has good size for a point guard, 6'4" and 202 lbs. Who knows?

GoDuke!

I keep having this feeling that the guard Duke ought to pick up as a transfer is Jordan Goldwire. He'd make more sense than just about anybody else we could pick up. Staying at Duke would make a lot of sense for him as well. I haven't heard of him being linked to another school. I know he made the announcement but are we sure he's gone?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I keep having this feeling that the guard Duke ought to pick up as a transfer is Jordan Goldwire. He'd make more sense than just about anybody else we could pick up. Staying at Duke would make a lot of sense for him as well. I haven't heard of him being linked to another school. I know he made the announcement but are we sure he's gone?
    He would provide leadership and on-ball defense, but he doesn't actually address our deficiencies in ball-handling/vision and outside shooting.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but even with a decent freshman-to-sophomore bump for Jeremy, a backcourt composed solely of Goldwire/Roach/Keels isn't exactly poised to be a world-beater. The gravity factor (defenders getting drawn to them) is pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    One thing we may not emphasize that much with upper class transfers is that the players may see this as their last opportunity to play organized basketball. It might be great for us to think about how players fit into making Duke a contender, but the players may want to find a place where they can play as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Maybe I'm pessimistic, but even with a decent freshman-to-sophomore bump for Jeremy, a backcourt composed solely of Goldwire/Roach/Keels isn't exactly poised to be a world-beater. The gravity factor (defenders getting drawn to them) is pretty low.
    The gravity factor will be really high for Banchero, Williams, Griffin (and if we have Baldwin or Hurt, even more so). I'm sure Roach, Keels, and Moore will look a lot better on offense while defenses pay little attention to them.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    One thing we may not emphasize that much with upper class transfers is that the players may see this as their last opportunity to play organized basketball. It might be great for us to think about how players fit into making Duke a contender, but the players may want to find a place where they can play as much as possible.
    On a related note, for players with little or no NBA aspirations (though way too many of them think they have a shot at the NBA when they don't), I see the grad transfer to be like a study abroad year for the rest of us. Many non-athlete undergrads study abroad (some do domestic programs) for a chance to experience something different, even though they are very happy at their home school. As a D1 basketball player who eats, sleeps and lives basketball, this is not an option. A grad transfer is a modified chance to have this type of experience - go from a small school to a big one, an eastern one to a western one, etc. We think of them as only basketball players but there are other reasons involved.

The gravity factor will be really high for Banchero, Williams, Griffin (and if we have Baldwin or Hurt, even more so). I'm sure Roach, Keels, and Moore will look a lot better on offense while defenses pay little attention to them.
    Yes, this is definitely a good point.

There have been 20 seasons of kenpom stats and this year was our 2nd worst season in terms of turnovers (2007 was the only year that was worse). Saying we were not a good passing team this season seems like a relatively safe statement to me.

Patrick Tape going to San Francisco. Hope he finds time there and can elevate that program. Gonzaga needs more competition in the WCC.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?