Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Banchero played a lot of offense at the top of key as the initiator of his team's offense. While he is not a great 3-pt shooter, he does have the ability to hit shots out there. But he has decent handles, good vision, a good mid-range game, and an even better understanding of initiating/making the right play. I think he is one of those guys where the parts add up to a greater whole deal. Pair that with his size/athletic ability and that is why he is a top 3 HS player.
    I like the description of Banchero's play but I hope we don't have the offense where he dribbles the ball for 20 seconds and rest of the team stands and watches. That offense sucks.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I like the description of Banchero's play but I hope we don't have the offense where he dribbles the ball for 20 seconds and rest of the team stands and watches. That offense sucks.

GoDuke!
    I don't think we will. Griffin is also a really good shot creator himself, and Moore and Roach aren't likely to be slouches at it next year either. Banchero will surely be the focal point as the best player, but we'll see the ball in a lot of different players' hands next year.

Miami's Chris Lykes has portalted to Arkansas.

https://twitter.com/IAm_Lykesdat/sta...15011405676547
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

@jakelieberman2
    Patrick Tape tells me that he has heard from San Francisco, Oklahoma, Temple, South Florida, Maryland, and BYU so far.
    Started at Columbia, then played at Duke for one season. Entered the portal a couple of days ago.

I checked IC for the first time since all the Roy news broke, so consider the source... but according to some of the posters over there, Hubert has reached out to Walker Kessler in an attempt to change his mind and get him to return. Fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I checked IC for the first time since all the Roy news broke, so consider the source... but according to some of the posters over there, Hubert has reached out to Walker Kessler in an attempt to change his mind and get him to return. Fwiw
    He said this during his press conference. Imagine making a claim like this during your opening press conference and then Kessler goes ahead and transfers elsewhere.

I'm fascinated about the situation with Drew Timme, Walker Kessler, and Chet Holmgren. Kessler and Holmgren are seen as leaning heavily towards Gonzaga. Timme has a decision to make, similar to Matthew Hurt. His stock is about as high as it will reasonably get but he lacks the NBA skillset. He was exposed for his defensive shortcomings in the Final Four. Hurt at least has an in-demand skill with his shooting. Timme can score in transition but offers nothing in the way of rim-running, perimeter shooting, or rim protection. If Timme is gone, there's an obvious need for a frontcourt player. They have backup RS-FR Ballou and a pair of highly-rated young bigs in Benn Gregg and Kaden Perry. Holmgren would slide nicely into that center position and presumably would commit if Timme goes pro. Does Kessler want to play behind Holmgren? Does he start alongside Holmgren in a super tall frontcourt? All all three waiting to see what the others will do?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    He said this during his press conference. Imagine making a claim like this during your opening press conference and then Kessler goes ahead and transfers elsewhere.

I'm fascinated about the situation with Drew Timme, Walker Kessler, and Chet Holmgren. Kessler and Holmgren are seen as leaning heavily towards Gonzaga. Timme has a decision to make, similar to Matthew Hurt. His stock is about as high as it will reasonably get but he lacks the NBA skillset. He was exposed for his defensive shortcomings in the Final Four. Hurt at least has an in-demand skill with his shooting. Timme can score in transition but offers nothing in the way of rim-running, perimeter shooting, or rim protection. If Timme is gone, there's an obvious need for a frontcourt player. They have backup RS-FR Ballou and a pair of highly-rated young bigs in Benn Gregg and Kaden Perry. Holmgren would slide nicely into that center position and presumably would commit if Timme goes pro. Does Kessler want to play behind Holmgren? Does he start alongside Holmgren in a super tall frontcourt? All all three waiting to see what the others will do?
    My assumption is that Kessler and Holmgren would play together as Holmgren has shown more of a perimeter game.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    My assumption is that Kessler and Holmgren would play together as Holmgren has shown more of a perimeter game.
    Right, the issue is Timme. If Timme returns (which is a possibility given his struggles in the title game), then a Timme/Kessler/Holmgren frontcourt rotation is possibility too crowded. Hence DBA's statement that Timme would have to make a decision if both Holmgren and Kessler choose Gonzaga.

My guess though is that Kessler will wait until Holmgren and Timme both decide before making his decision, as he'd be the odd man out of the starting lineup if both Timme and Holmgren choose Gonzaga.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

I wonder about the flip side... if in some universe Kessler decides to return to UNC, how badly would that reflect on the now departed Roy? A 5* recruit and budding star was so desperate to not play for you that he decided to transfer, only to come back once you left town?

Obviously I'm not expecting/rooting for that to happen... if anything, keeping it "in the family" probably makes it even less likely Kessler suddenly changes his mind. But man would that confirm a lot of our suspicions about Roy's inability to connect with his current players.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I wonder about the flip side... if in some universe Kessler decides to return to UNC, how badly would that reflect on the now departed Roy? A 5* recruit and budding star was so desperate to not play for you that he decided to transfer, only to come back once you left town?

Obviously I'm not expecting/rooting for that to happen... if anything, keeping it "in the family" probably makes it even less likely Kessler suddenly changes his mind. But man would that confirm a lot of our suspicions about Roy's inability to connect with his current players.
    Nail-Hammer! That would be a very bad look on Roy and if it happens, does that mean Davis and the AD agree old roy was over the hill. Personally I think he was over the hill(not the dump).

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

I find this point extremely interesting. Especially because of Hubert Davis' public outreach to Kessler that he should return to UNC
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    It is going to be interesting to see Holmgren in college. He is so slight. I can't imagine him going into the paint against some of the college guys.

And Kessler fashions himself as a stretch guy, he does not want to be chained to the post. So, I'm not sure how he fits in at Gonzaga with Holmgren.

Both talented guys but with some limitations, I'm sure Coach Few wants to make it work, but how?

A few transfer destinations have been announced (sorry if some of these are mentioned already)

Chris Lykes from Miami to Arkansas
    Tyson Walker (6-foot guard averaging 18.6 ppg) from Northeastern to Michigan State
    Myreon Jones (6-3 guard averaging 15.3 ppg) from Penn State to Florida

Live footage of Hubert Davis in Walker Kessler’s front yard:

E7DBB394-0BE7-4DA1-90D8-33A816C8DAC0.jpg

Really hope we're not missing some opportunities with guards here. Tyson Walker seemed like a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Really hope we're not missing some opportunities with guards here. Tyson Walker seemed like a good one.
    If there’s one thing I’m certain about, it’s that K has a plan. He and the staff aren’t on vacation.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Step 1: Trash Roy Williams
    Step 2: Tell him your coaching philosophy is much better
    Step 3: Reassure him Roy won't even have an office in the Dean Dome, like Dean did for years after retirement
    Step 4: Set up some AFAM "classes" for him
    Step 5: re-trash Roy.

Duke got one of the best guards out there 6 days ago in Keels.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Duke got one of the best guards out there 6 days ago in Keels.
    First, I'd take at least several of the guards in the transfer portal over Keels straight up.

Second, great! Now we have two guards. We need at least one more.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    First, I'd take at least several of the guards in the transfer portal over Keels straight up.

Second, great! Now we have two guards. We need at least one more.
    While classically true, I think this overlooks the push in the modern game away from the guard/forward/center classification and more towards the ballhandler/wing/big classification. I'd argue right now we have 1 traditional ballhandler (Jeremy), and a traditional "forward" who has shown he can run the point in periods (Wendell... remember how emphasized his taking the ball up and initiating the offense was in our abbreviated ACCT, which correlated nicely with our improved performance). Keels maybe could be a "ballhandler" in a pinch as well. But we have more than enough "wings" in Keels, Wendell, Griffin, Joey, and potentially even Paolo in certain matchups.

K also likes to play his primary "ballhandler", i.e. point guard, big minutes. If we operate under the assumption (we can debate whether or not this will happen all offseason) that Jeremy takes a noticeable freshman to sophomore leap, he'll probably see 30-35 minutes per game (oh no, a minutes post!) as our primary ballhandler. That means we have 5-10 minutes we need to find. If Wendell enters this offseason knowing that will be a major part of his role (and, probably not coincidentally, that his best chance at the next level is to become a "point forward"), I can see him improving enough to handle enough of those 5-10 minutes that we needn't worry.

All that aside, of course a more experienced/traditional backup PG would be a huge boost to the makeup of next year's squad. I just don't think it's as do or die as you, and many other here, seem to. Happy to debate and be convinced otherwise though
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!