Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 591
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    That's a pretty impressive stat sheet. He doesn't look like the kind of player who makes a move to become a complementary player. Does Duke have the minutes and touches he might be looking for?
    If Marcus Carr came to Duke, Jeremy Roach would not be starting PG. I saw Minny play a bit this year and Carr is really good. He's got impressive handle and gets in the lane and to the rim tremendously effectively.

    And while these "hey look who is transferring... that guy would be great at Duke" posts often seem to be more wishes than reality, there is a reason to think Carr might actually really look at Duke. Carr is from Toronto and played his high school ball at Monteverde. Wanna know who else was from Toronto and played at Monteverde alongside Carr? RJ Barrett.

    -Jason "Carr's older brother played at South Carolina... so he might also be looking at some SEC schools" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    That's a pretty impressive stat sheet. He doesn't look like the kind of player who makes a move to become a complementary player. Does Duke have the minutes and touches he might be looking for?
    Darn good question.

    Jason's description of Carr's game makes it tough to not want him but yeah, are the minutes there? And how would that impact Roach psychologically and practically?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Carr is also a pretty inefficient scorer, shooting under 40% from the field with an eFG% of 45.1 this past year and 45.8 last year. He's like a fully-realized version of Roach as a playmaker, but far inferior in terms of his ability to finish.

    Not saying I wouldn't like to have him (assuming there aren't any other issues). Just stating that while the point totals look good they come from a large shot volume rather than being an efficient scorer.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Carr is also a pretty inefficient scorer, shooting under 40% from the field with an eFG% of 45.1 this past year and 45.8 last year. He's like a fully-realized version of Roach as a playmaker, but far inferior in terms of his ability to finish.

    Not saying I wouldn't like to have him (assuming there aren't any other issues). Just stating that while the point totals look good they come from a large shot volume rather than being an efficient scorer.
    I agree about his inefficient scoring. His 31.5% assist% (33.9% career) against an 11.1% turnover% would be very welcome, though.

    FWIW, Carlik Jones's eFG% this season was 43.4%, and his assist% (26.2%) was significantly lower than Carr's.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I agree about his inefficient scoring. His 31.5% assist% (33.9% career) against an 11.1% turnover% would be very welcome, though.

    FWIW, Carlik Jones's eFG% this season was 43.4%, and his assist% (26.2%) was significantly lower than Carr's.
    Oh for sure. His assist numbers are quite nice. If he could pull back on the shot selection strings a bit with better talent around him, he could be a terrific get. Really just a question of chemistry and willingness to take a big step back as a shot-taker.

    And yeah, he was basically Carlik Jones just on a weaker team.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    And while these "hey look who is transferring... that guy would be great at Duke" posts often seem to be more wishes than reality, there is a reason to think Carr might actually really look at Duke. Carr is from Toronto and played his high school ball at Monteverde. Wanna know who else was from Toronto and played at Monteverde alongside Carr? RJ Barrett.
    Wouldn’t Matthew Hurt be another potential connection? Didn’t he play at Minnesota with Matt’s older brother, who graduated last year?

    Also google tells me he played his freshman year at Pitt, and transferred to Minnesota after Stallings was fired. Not sure if that’s a positive.

  7. #27
    Given that we are expecting the transfer market in college basketball to resemble the wild, Wild West this year...

    Every time I see one of these teams from a lower tier conference with guards who are having a great game (like Oral Roberts), I keep thinking - I wonder if they’ll be looking to transfer after this season to a higher profile program? This is a new experience for me, as I have never watched the tournament through this lens before.

    I guess I am still having ptsd from players like Carlik Jones traumatizing us. But there are an awful lot of good guards in the NCAA tournament who are great 3 point shooters. Just sayin...

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Given that we are expecting the transfer market in college basketball to resemble the wild, Wild West this year...

    .
    It will be a very wild offseason. There's a lot of smoke out there about UNC losing a few players to the transfer portal, which would be unusual to say the least.

  9. #29
    Well, Garrison Brooks has left his decision open. He is from Auburn High School. If he decides he would like to go home, he would most certainly be welcome.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladuke View Post
    Well, Garrison Brooks has left his decision open. He is from Auburn High School. If he decides he would like to go home, he would most certainly be welcome.
    I don’t think you can use the fifth year anywhere but at your current school.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladuke View Post
    Well, Garrison Brooks has left his decision open. He is from Auburn High School. If he decides he would like to go home, he would most certainly be welcome.
    There are rumors out there that several UNC players are considering moving on, and not just Brooks.

    Love's father was... not thrilled watching the Wisconsin game. I can't imagine why, to be honest. Brendan Marks, writing for the Athletic, had this nugget to share about Love: No player since at least 1993 has taken more than 300 FG attempts and shot below 32% from the field and below 27% from 3-point range. Roy gave Love a lot of playing time and allowed him to do whatever he wanted on the court. One could even say Roy gave Love far more time than he deserved.

    There are also rumors other freshmen are unhappy. Walker Kessler rumors were out there earlier in the season, which seems to be a big reason he was given more playing time towards the end of the year. Roy wanted to keep him happy. Of course, Sharpe is showing up on NBA draft boards and may go pro.

    The big recruiting class UNC pulled in last year may be cut in half or more before next season starts. We'll see. Roy has a way of keeping guys around longer than they would elsewhere.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

    There are also rumors other freshmen are unhappy. Walker Kessler rumors were out there earlier in the season, which seems to be a big reason he was given more playing time towards the end of the year. Roy wanted to keep him happy. Of course, Sharpe is showing up on NBA draft boards and may go pro.

    The big recruiting class UNC pulled in last year may be cut in half or more before next season starts. We'll see. Roy has a way of keeping guys around longer than they would elsewhere.
    Well no one made Kessler commit to a program that was already loaded in the front court. But he probably presumed that at least two of Brooks, Bacot, and Sharpe would be gone after this season. That may not be the case as Brooks didn't play himself into the draft this year and may take a fifth year, and neither Bacot or Sharpe are a sure thing to go pro, either. In which case I would understand if he bolts. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Penn State and Minnesota are examples of a number of players hitting the Transfer Portal after a coaching change. They may give a new incoming coach a look before making a jump but the players now have more options.

  14. #34
    Huge news in Chapel Hill: talented freshman big man Walker Kessler is transferring.

    Courtesy of Jeff Goodman’s official Twitter account @GoodmanHoops

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Huge news in Chapel Hill: talented freshman big man Walker Kessler is transferring.

    Courtesy of Jeff Goodman’s official Twitter account @GoodmanHoops
    Roy ain't going to be in the dadgum beginning of Spring spirit.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Huge news in Chapel Hill: talented freshman big man Walker Kessler is transferring.

    Courtesy of Jeff Goodman’s official Twitter account @GoodmanHoops
    Wow. I was surprised when he committed to UNC knowing that Brooks and Bacot were returning and Sharpe was already committed. The writing was on the wall that PT would be hard to come by, but he made his choice. Why transfer now? Sharpe might be going pro, Brooks is graduating (though unclear if he's leaving or returning), meaning he would be a big party of whatever their plans were next year. Why transfer now?

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Huge news in Chapel Hill: talented freshman big man Walker Kessler is transferring.

    Courtesy of Jeff Goodman’s official Twitter account @GoodmanHoops
    That’s been predicted for a long time now. It was a weird commit when it happened.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Huge news in Chapel Hill: talented freshman big man Walker Kessler is transferring.

    Courtesy of Jeff Goodman’s official Twitter account @GoodmanHoops
    Guess that whole "artificially limit the minutes of your freshman, even after having big games to keep them around longer" thing finally caught up to Roy.

    For example, Kessler goes for 16 pts, 12 boards against ND in 21 minutes in the ACCT. What was his reward for a great game? 11 minutes against VT.

    Another example...

    Kessler has 20pts and 8 boards against FSU's formidable frontline in 24 minutes. Then he gets 11 minutes against Syracuse in a loss.

    Sharpe probably should have played more, too, but I suspect Roy knew Sharpe was gone regardless of minutes, so no reason to limit the minutes to keep him around.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roxboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Wow. I was surprised when he committed to UNC knowing that Brooks and Bacot were returning and Sharpe was already committed. The writing was on the wall that PT would be hard to come by, but he made his choice. Why transfer now? Sharpe might be going pro, Brooks is graduating (though unclear if he's leaving or returning), meaning he would be a big party of whatever their plans were next year. Why transfer now?
    Maybe he knows the other bigs are staying?

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Guess that whole "artificially limit the minutes of your freshman, even after having big games to keep them around longer" thing finally caught up to Roy.

    For example, Kessler goes for 16 pts, 12 boards against ND in 21 minutes in the ACCT. What was his reward for a great game? 11 minutes against VT.

    Another example...

    Kessler has 20pts and 8 boards against FSU's formidable frontline in 24 minutes. Then he gets 11 minutes against Syracuse in a loss.

    Sharpe probably should have played more, too, but I suspect Roy knew Sharpe was gone regardless of minutes, so no reason to limit the minutes to keep him around.
    Yeah, puzzling coaching strategy in the examples you described. He will land somewhere at a major college program and probably soon. Great skill for a 7 footer. Moves well. He was a 5 star recruit and McDonald’s All-American coming out of high school.

Similar Threads

  1. ACC Offseason moves
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-31-2018, 07:59 AM
  2. Transfers/Grad Transfers 2018/2019
    By Dukebasketball2020 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-22-2018, 11:49 PM
  3. WBB: Offseason News
    By dudog84 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2017, 10:34 PM
  4. Braves offseason
    By Olympic Fan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 02:57 PM
  5. Keys to the Offseason
    By DevilHorns in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •