Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    In other news... A Tulsa player who transferred to Colorado is transferring again. To Tulsa.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonRothst...723949568?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I could see this as a backup plan to Keels. We all seem to agree that Duke needs another perimeter player. If we don't get Keels then Boogie (who hit nearly 40% of his threes this season) could be a very nice option.
    Why would he want to transfer into what would most likely be a three-guard rotation? I assume he would want to go to a place where he has more assurances of starting and getting 30 minutes a game. Coach K will give him the usual "you will get the minutes you earn" speech but unless Boogie is very sure that he can beat out Roach and/or DJ, it doesn't make sense. I think this will generally be our problem getting a top tier player. Our current backcourt starters are good enough that they will be tough for most transfers to beat out, but not so great that we don't need more help.

Whole New World of College Basketball

I think it is excellent that players can easily transfer when circumstances change - coaching change, family situation etc. But this seems too easy and overdone.

USC reached the Elite Eight with a team that basically was two players whose dad was on the staff, and transfers. UCLA's top scorer was a transfer.

Do we have two recruiting seasons - one for high school and another for transfers?

How do you keep players for four years? The really good ones leave early for the NBA and the others might leave to get minutes elsewhere.

Lots or ramifications.

SoCal

DJ Jeffries is also looking to leave Memphis. Pretty nice forward on the NIT champs who averaged about 10ppg and better than 5 rpg.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...84376242106369

Third Memphis player to announce a transfer since they won the NIT. For anyone who is worried about Duke's transfer problems after losing Tape, Goldwire, and Brakefield... we seem to be getting off pretty easy so far compared to many other programs.

-Jason "as SoCal said, it is whole new world" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I think it is excellent that players can easily transfer when circumstances change - coaching change, family situation etc. But this seems too easy and overdone.

USC reached the Elite Eight with a team that basically was two players whose dad was on the staff, and transfers. UCLA's top scorer was a transfer.

Do we have two recruiting seasons - one for high school and another for transfers?

How do you keep players for four years? The really good ones leave early for the NBA and the others might leave to get minutes elsewhere.

Lots or ramifications.

SoCal
    A truly free market can be messy.

Adam Miller from Illinois going to transfer. Great freshmen for them.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...tal-163496620/

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Adam Miller from Illinois going to transfer. Great freshmen for them.

https://247sports.com/college/illino...tal-163496620/
    He shot under 40% from the field and didn't really provide anything else other than his "shooting ability." He did have a good game against Duke though. But he was worse than any of our returning perimeter guys this year.

DJ Jeffries is also looking to leave Memphis. Pretty nice forward on the NIT champs who averaged about 10ppg and better than 5 rpg.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...84376242106369

Third Memphis player to announce a transfer since they won the NIT. For anyone who is worried about Duke's transfer problems after losing Tape, Goldwire, and Brakefield... we seem to be getting off pretty easy so far compared to many other programs.

-Jason "as SoCal said, it is whole new world" Evans
    I knew it! Steward’s announcement had to be someone’s fault. I’m looking at you Jason Evans.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I knew it! Steward’s announcement had to be someone’s fault. I’m looking at you Jason Evans.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He shot under 40% from the field and didn't really provide anything else other than his "shooting ability." He did have a good game against Duke though. But he was worse than any of our returning perimeter guys this year.
    The Athletic immediately listed Miller as the 10th best player (HS or senior) available for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    The Athletic immediately listed Miller as the 10th best player (HS or senior) available for next year.
    I disagree with that assessment. If he had put up numbers like that at Duke, well, folks on this board bashed guys who had better freshman years than he did.

I'm just at a loss for words to understand what is going on. Why is Adam Miller transferring from Illinois? He was a starter as a freshman and, along with Curbelo, was going to be the focus of their backcourt next season. Did he think he should have been taking touches away from the national player of the year Ayo Donsumu this season?

I just don't know what to think when guys who had a large role at a big time program and who figure to have an even bigger role next season decide to leave that program. I guess he really clashed with Brad Underwood or something.

I'm just at a loss for words to understand what is going on. Why is Adam Miller transferring from Illinois? He was a starter as a freshman and, along with Curbelo, was going to be the focus of their backcourt next season. Did he think he should have been taking touches away from the national player of the year Ayo Donsumu this season?

I just don't know what to think when guys who had a large role at a big time program and who figure to have an even bigger role next season decide to leave that program. I guess he really clashed with Brad Underwood or something.
    Maybe he didn’t like the school. Maybe he didn’t enjoy the state of Illinois. They don’t need much of a reason when they have such an easy out.

As someone who transferred myself while in college it is hard for me to really criticize someone for doing it*. There are a million reasons someone might one to transfer, some basketball related and some not.

*Note that I can not criticize the specific players for doing it but still think the trend of more and more players transferring takes away from my enjoyment of the game and probably ultimately isn't good for either the game, the players, or perhaps both.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    As someone who transferred myself while in college it is hard for me to really criticize someone for doing it*. There are a million reasons someone might one to transfer, some basketball related and some not.

*Note that I can not criticize the specific players for doing it but still think the trend of more and more players transferring takes away from my enjoyment of the game and probably ultimately isn't good for either the game, the players, or perhaps both.
    This year, it's certainly a basketball related thing. Any player can leave and play at any school he/she wants without having to sit out a year.

That "sitting out a year" was a huge deterrent that players had to weigh; do I leave and sit out a year or do I give it another shot at this school even if this part year was underwhelming for me? If a player had a bad year, the rules are so lax there is nothing stopping him/her from transferring.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Maybe he didn’t like the school. Maybe he didn’t enjoy the state of Illinois. They don’t need much of a reason when they have such an easy out.
    Maybe he wants to play for Duke!

I really hope Coach K is recruiting hard on the transfer market, especially now that Steward declared. "There is an open starter position. You're surrounded by talented wings and big men. We're gonna be a top 5 team next year. You in?"
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I really hope Coach K is recruiting hard on the transfer market, especially now that Steward declared. "There is an open starter position. You're surrounded by talented wings and big men. We're gonna be a top 5 team next year. You in?"
    Whatever else is going on, I'm sure Coach K is working hard to make the most of it. He is not a man to shrink from a new challenge. Looking forward to seeing how he succeeds in yet another new landscape.

Wow... I was really impressed With Richmond this season and I know plenty of Orange fans were eager for Boehiem to give him more time (at the expense of Joe Girard). For a while during the season, Richmond had the highest steal percentage of any player in all of college basketball. He ended the year at #13 in that category, but that still makes him an incredibly dangerous defender.

I expect him to be a really good player wherever he lands. He does not need to look to go to a smaller program. He was a top 100 recruit a year ago and had offers from Fla St, UConn, Georgetown, and Cincy when he picked Syracuse. I suspect we will see some even bigger programs take an interest in him now.
    Sounding like Karady Richmond may go to FSU... ouch, that would really stink Boeheim: https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/stat...46506571423744

Also in ACC transfer news, Marshall's Jerrod West (12ppg, 6 apg) picked Louisville over Pitt. Capel coulda really used him: https://www.cardiachill.com/2021/3/3...louisville-acc

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Maybe he wants to play for Duke!

If he decides to come to Duke, I hope he makes a BIG jump in quality. Dude shot under 40% from the field last year and added next to nothing in any other area than "okay but not all that good 3 point shooting".

That's not to say he can't make a big jump. But I'd put him behind Moore and Roach and probably a toss-up (perhaps at best) with Keels.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    If he decides to come to Duke, I hope he makes a BIG jump in quality. Dude shot under 40% from the field last year and added next to nothing in any other area than "okay but not all that good 3 point shooting".

That's not to say he can't make a big jump. But I'd put him behind Moore and Roach and probably a toss-up (perhaps at best) with Keels.
    Hey, I'm looking for a pulse that can guard the 1/2 at this point. Adam Miller had a pretty good DWS and DBPM last year.