Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    I think another reason we'll see more transfers (beyond the not having to sit out rule) is there's less loyalty to the team and university this year given limited social interactions/no fans. All that stuff engenders a sense of belonging and being part of something and that feeling was certainly neutered this past year.

More ACC Departures

Clemson
    Olivier-Maxence Prosper

Duke
    Jaemyn Brakefield

Miami
    Elijah Olaniyi

Pitt
    Abdoul Karim Coulibaly

UVA with first transfer out. Casey Morsell has entered the portal.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/st...74805163491330

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    UVA with first transfer out. Casey Morsell has entered the portal.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/st...74805163491330
    Not a huge surprise. Reese Beekman showed a lot of promise as a freshman and Morsell seemed to slip down in the rotation as a result.

Meanwhile, Va Tech's Jalen Cone has also entered the portal. He was a significant part of that team before breaking his foot in early February. He's a really good shooter who will probably end up at another P5 school.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

UVa second year Casey Morsell has reportedly entered the transfer portal and I am a bit disappointed for UVa. I was really looking forward to his development and thought he had a bright future at UVa. Duke and UVa have been bitten by the transfer bug the last 10ish years seemingly more so than before then.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    UVa second year Casey Morsell has reportedly entered the transfer portal and I am a bit disappointed for UVa. I was really looking forward to his development and thought he had a bright future at UVa. Duke and UVa have been bitten by the transfer bug the last 10ish years seemingly more so than before then.
    Except, not really.

Go back and look at Kedsy's posts regarding actual numbers of players lost. It hasn't increased (very much). What I don't know is how our attention rate compares with other ACC/Power 5 teams. I suspect we are about in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Except, not really.

Go back and look at Kedsy's posts regarding actual numbers of players lost. It hasn't increased (very much). What I don't know is how our attention rate compares with other ACC/Power 5 teams. I suspect we are about in the middle.
    Yeah, UVa has had a lot of transfers in the last 5 years, but I didn't pay much attention to their transfer rate prior to that.

I think transfers are up nationally, so I'd imagine that our transfer rate hasn't increased by as much as the average D-1 school over the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Va Tech's Jalen Cone has also entered the portal. He was a significant part of that team before breaking his foot in early February. He's a really good shooter who will probably end up at another P5 school.
    I tried to find some info on where Cone might be heading, but he has been surrounded by silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Except, not really.

That is surprising. I am surprised it hasn’t increased. I would bet my bottom dollar it has. Going back to anywhere from 05-10 I can think of many transfers at Duke. Jamal Boykin, Eric Boateng, Taylor King, Derryck Thornton, Olek Czyz, Elliot Williams, Alex Murphy, Alex O’Connell , Jordan Butler, Semi Ojeleye, Jaemyn Brakefield, Rasheed Sulaimon, Michael Gbinjie ... that’s a baker’s dozen in probably 10-15 years.

As for UVa, I think 7 players left the program in Tony Bennett’s first 2 years. Teven Jones, Mariol
    Shayok, Paul Jesperson, Darius Thompson, Jarred Reuter, John Brandenburg, Tristan Spurlock, Jeff Jones, Billy Baron, Will Regan, KT Harrell, James Johnson, etc. Those have all occurred since 2009-2010 when Tony Bennett started coaching at UVa.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I tried to find some info on where Cone might be heading, but he has been surrounded by silence.
    That's so funny I screamed when I heard it
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

That is surprising. I am surprised it hasn’t increased. I would bet my bottom dollar it has. Going back to anywhere from 05-10 I can think of many transfers at Duke. Jamal Boykin, Eric Boateng, Taylor King, Derryck Thornton, Olek Czyz, Elliot Williams, Alex Murphy, Alex O’Connell , Jordan Butler, Semi Ojeleye, Jaemyn Brakefield, Rasheed Sulaimon, Michael Gbinjie ... that’s a baker’s dozen in probably 10-15 years.
    Right, but may of those guys were more than 10 years ago: Boykin, Boateng, King, and Williams all transferred in the 00s, along with Michael Thompson and Andre Sweet. One could include either Chris Burgess or Czyz in the 00s as well, as Czyz transferred at the end of 2009 but during the 2009-10 season, while Burgess transferred before the 1999-00 season.

So 6-7 guys in the 00s vs 7-8 guys in the 10s (adding Jeter) and 1 guy in the 20s (so far). And when you consider that we've had more recruits in the 10s than we did in the 00s, our transfer rate has been fairly stable.

For what its worth, Sulaimon didn't transfer; he was kicked off the team. I'm not sure there was anything to suggest he would have transferred had he not been dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Right, but may of those guys were more than 10 years ago: Boykin, Boateng, King, and Williams all transferred in the 00s, along with Michael Thompson and Andre Sweet. One could include either Chris Burgess or Czyz in the 00s as well, as Czyz transferred at the end of 2009 but during the 2009-10 season, while Burgess transferred before the 1999-00 season.

So 6-7 guys in the 00s vs 7-8 guys in the 10s (adding Jeter) and 1 guy in the 20s (so far). And when you consider that we've had more recruits in the 10s than we did in the 00s, our transfer rate has been fairly stable.

For what its worth, Sulaimon didn't transfer; he was kicked off the team. I'm not sure there was anything to suggest he would have transferred had he not been dismissed.
    Got it, but I said 10ish years in my original post, 10-15 years in my second. If the analysis is done by decade I see your point. If the analysis is conducted in 10-15 year chunks, I would be surprised if Duke’s amount of transfers didn’t increase from the Boateng/Boykin years to the present compared to the 10-15 years before that. Very surprised.

Regarding Sulaimon, I suspect there may have been partially some issues with him and the coaching staff and potentially his attitude for the reason he was kicked off so I think a transfer was a possibility even had he not been dismissed. Who knows, probably a moot point now.

Got it, but I said 10ish years in my original post, 10-15 years in my second. If the analysis is done by decade I see your point. If the analysis is conducted in 10-15 year chunks, I would be surprised if Duke’s amount of transfers didn’t increase from the Boateng/Boykin years to the present compared to the 10-15 years before that. Very surprised.
    Maybe, but almost surely not relative to number of players recruited (because of early entry and then the one-and-done era, we have brought in way more plays in the last 15 years than we did in the 15 years prior to that).

Off-hand, I know we had Palmer, Beard, Ast, McCaffrey, Chappell, Burgess, Thompson, and Sweet in the previous 15 year period. That's 8 compared with 13, and we recruited way more players in the more recent era. And I might still be forgetting someone from the earlier era as my early-90s reserves memory is not as strong.

Maybe, but almost surely not relative to number of players recruited (because of early entry and then the one-and-done era, we have brought in way more plays in the last 15 years than we did in the 15 years prior to that).

Off-hand, I know we had Palmer, Beard, Ast, McCaffrey, Chappell, Burgess, Thompson, and Sweet in the previous 15 year period. That's 8 compared with 13, and we recruited way more players in the more recent era. And I might still be forgetting someone from the earlier era as my early-90s reserves memory is not as strong.
    No doubt, the recruiting landscape and strategy has changed which is a catalyst for the transfers increasing. As always, I hate seeing guys transfer from Duke although I generally understand their reasoning.

I almost got it.

Missed it by that much.

Cone to the Duke football program confirmed.

That’s probably true almost anywhere, though, given that transfers are much more common in general now than they used to be.

If the point, though, is that Duke’s heavy emphasis on OAD or potential OAD recruits causes more transfers (by squeezing out or recruiting over guys in that 20-50 range), the Boykins and Boatengs aren’t relevant. We didn’t have our first true OAD until Kyrie, and ‘15 was the first team with more than one.

(I know Maggette and Deng exist - those guys matriculated before the OAD rule came into effect.)

Apparently Sterling Manley has decided to enter the transfer portal from UNC (for whatever that is worth).

Apparently Sterling Manley has decided to enter the transfer portal from UNC (for whatever that is worth).
    Wow I totally forgot about that guy. Thought he was already gone.

Yeah, UVa has had a lot of transfers in the last 5 years, but I didn't pay much attention to their transfer rate prior to that.

I think transfers are up nationally, so I'd imagine that our transfer rate hasn't increased by as much as the average D-1 school over the past decade.
    The "cost" of transfers -- primarily, the one-year sit-out -- has been reduced the past two years. Less "friction," more movement.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013