Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Kessler’s transfer brought a smile to my face and I am really enjoying all the rumors of dissension, the shots at Roy made over Twitter by players’ parents, and the meltdown on IC. But yeah, I won’t feel comfortable getting on my high horse until we know how things will shake out in our own yard. Still a lot to be decided in terms of possible player departures or arrivals, and the differential between our worst case and best case scenarios is quite large.

If things come together for us and everything falls apart down the road, then I will gladly climb upon my high horse 8-)

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    What is going on at uNC and what could potentially go on at Duke are not related. I've learned to enjoy what you can enjoy when you can enjoy it. There is plenty of times to worry about things.

I'm sure the cheats will be fine but for now the popcorn tastes really good, high up on my ram, horse or whatever animal I'm supposed to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    What is going on at uNC and what could potentially go on at Duke are not related.
    Actually, they are. This is a unique, possibly one-time-only, transfer friendly environment and it impacts everyone. Buckle up, folks, it's going to be a rocky ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    We're going to need to see the dust settle before we throw dirt on the grave of UNC's 2021-22 season. .
    Agreed, too early for a don't jinx it thread for next year.

I expect Carolina and Virginia to reload via the transfer market. So I agree, I am enjoying the current dissension at Carolina, but expect the final product to be much stronger.

Don’t be surprised if Walker Kessler ends up at Virginia (or Michigan or Gonzaga). All were on his original list, and Michigan and Gonzaga were on his final list iirc (along with Duke and Auburn, which apparently isn’t in play).

And for those Duke fans who are against transfers (think it dilutes our brand, etc), do you realize how many transfers Virginia has had recently that have contributed mightily to their success? Off the top of my head - Hauser, Murphy, and Braxton Key, just in the last couple of years. People talk about Virginia being the premier program in the ACC the last decade, etc. Just interesting to note how much transfers have had to do with their success.

Not saying any position is right or wrong; just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Kessler’s transfer brought a smile to my face and I am really enjoying all the rumors of dissension, the shots at Roy made over Twitter by players’ parents, and the meltdown on IC.
    Now THAT sounds like some fun reading! Care to share, UC?

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I expect Carolina and Virginia to reload via the transfer market. So I agree, I am enjoying the current dissension at Carolina, but expect the final product to be much stronger.

Don’t be surprised if Walker Kessler ends up at Virginia (or Michigan or Gonzaga). All were on his original list, and Michigan and Gonzaga were on his final list iirc (along with Duke and Auburn, which apparently isn’t in play).

And for those Duke fans who are against transfers (think it dilutes our brand, etc), do you realize how many transfers Virginia has had recently that have contributed mightily to their success? Off the top of my head - Hauser, Murphy, and Braxton Key, just in the last couple of years. People talk about Virginia being the premier program in the ACC the last decade, etc. Just interesting to note how much transfers have had to do with their success.

Not saying any position is right or wrong; just food for thought.
    Wouldn't UNC mining the transfer portal to "reload" be a huge change of tactic? I can think of a handful of incoming transfers, but not a "reload" sort of shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wouldn't UNC mining the transfer portal to "reload" be a huge change of tactic? I can think of a handful of incoming transfers, but not a "reload" sort of shift.
    Yes, this would be uncharted territory for UNC. They've relied HEAVILY on program continuity over the years. Only occasionally (after the 2005 and 2009 championships, for example) have they seen massive roster turnover, and that turnover has been replaced primarily by freshmen. Usually elite recruiting classes at that. But this year's recruiting class isn't going to be very strong (no clear-cut top-50 guys at the moment). So it's going to require a heavy dose of transfers.

Having said that, if ever there was a time to have to deal with massive defections, this would be the offseason to do it. There will be lots of opportunity to add quality talent to the mix, not just grad transfers.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It most certainly would. Roy is a system guy. He does not change to fit the player. It takes some time to learn the system which is why Roy values seniority so much. That is why Kessler hurts them so much. He projects to be a star and just needed more indoctrination.

Word is that Kessler's dad and Roy got into a shouting match and that is why Walker is transferring. It sounds like it wasn't fully Walker's decision. The popular speculation is that the Kessler's were sold on being used like Luke Maye and were instead being used like, well most of UNC's big guys, glorified volleyball players.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post

The word on the street is that Tennessee has emerged as a favorite, perhaps the favorite. Would be nice not to have to play against him because I suspect he's going to end up as a really, really good college basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The word on the street is that Tennessee has emerged as a favorite, perhaps the favorite. Would be nice not to have to play against him because I suspect he's going to end up as a really, really good college basketball player.
    Yeah, Gonzaga doesn't make sense because they are likely to add Chet Holmgren, who would probably push Kessler to the bench again. Michigan might make sense if Dickinson goes pro, but otherwise doesn't make sense.

I would have guessed Georgia would be in play, but Tennessee also makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Oh that would be good if he went to Tennessee, and we didn’t have to play against him. I too think he is going to be an excellent college player. Admittedly, what I had heard was 2 days old, so I am glad to hear that Tennessee has emerged as a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, Gonzaga doesn't make sense because they are likely to add Chet Holmgren, who would probably push Kessler to the bench again. Michigan might make sense if Dickinson goes pro, but otherwise doesn't make sense.

I certainly thought Georgia was big time in play, if not the "unannounced" favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Georgia (or at least their fans) would love to be in play. Unfortunately, Walker’s older brother played for Mark Fox, whom the family was apparently very close to. When Georgia fired Fox, apparently that ended any possibility that Walker would follow in the family footsteps.

Another bad day at Pitt for Jeff Capel. Karim Coulibaly, the starting center, has entered the transfer portal. This leaves Pitt with 4 scholarship players. But Champagnie may bolt for the league. What has gone wrong at Pitt ?

Slater Stirs the Pot

Andrew Slater dropped a bit of a nugget on twitter this evening that has the cbb world aflutter.

Dick "Hoops" Weiss commented on the situation at Pitt:

mass exodus continues at Pitt. sophomore forward Abdoul Karim Coulibaly is fifth Panther to enter the transfer portal.
    That was a sort of anodyne statement, which is the way of Hoops Weiss. Andrew Slater responded with a bomb:

Keep that same energy when the mass exodus comes (public) to Michigan State & UNC, amongst others.
    The UNC situation is well known. The Michigan State situation was not, at least on the public interwebs.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Andrew Slater dropped a bit of a nugget on twitter this evening that has the cbb world aflutter.

That was a sort of anodyne statement, which is the way of Hoops Weiss. Andrew Slater responded with a bomb:

The UNC situation is well known. The Michigan State situation was not, at least on the public interwebs.
    Ohhhhh... two of my three most hated schools are about to implode? Please make it so

I don't pay close of attention to the inner workings of Michigan St as I do UNC or Duke. But this interaction (video in link, I can't get Twitter vids to embed) between Tom Izzo and Gabe Brown at half time of the NCAA play-in game leads me to think something might be rotten in East Lansing. It goes well beyond the usual coach player disagreements that we see in public during games

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...nge-gabe-brown
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I don't pay close of attention to the inner workings of Michigan St as I do UNC or Duke. But this interaction (video in link, I can't get Twitter vids to embed) between Tom Izzo and Gabe Brown at half time of the NCAA play-in game leads me to think something might be rotten in East Lansing. It goes well beyond the usual coach player disagreements that we see in public during games

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...nge-gabe-brown
    Slater also hinted that Brakefield would likely go to Ole Miss...

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Slater also hinted that Brakefield would likely go to Ole Miss...
    And now hinting that Caleb Love will go to Missouri...