Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Morsell would certainly cut into Wendell Moore's time -- they seems like pretty similar players to me as strong, versatile defenders who are not strong scorers (though Moore seems to have more potential in that arena). I'm not gonna say I don't want him, but I don't really see this as a recruit who would make a major difference to the team and he likely would cut into the playing time of some guys I really want to see get more chances to blossom at Duke.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Morsell would certainly cut into Wendell Moore's time -- they seems like pretty similar players to me as strong, versatile defenders who are not strong scorers (though Moore seems to have more potential in that arena). I'm not gonna say I don't want him, but I don't really see this as a recruit who would make a major difference to the team and he likely would cut into the playing time of some guys I really want to see get more chances to blossom at Duke.
    I'm in agreement. Wendell is a junior and Morsell is a senior. We should have two more years for Wendell to reach his potential and I don't want his minutes cut that might change that. If Morsell was a much better offensive player, then I might not have these feelings.

GoDuke!

Yeah, I doubt Morsell will choose to come to Duke given the crowd we have. He most likely wouldn't start over Moore/Griffin, which seems like a step backward for a guy who was a 3-year starter on a tourney team (they went to the tournament in 2019 and 2021 and would have easily been in in 2020 had there been a tourney). I don't know how much he'd affect the playing time of Moore or Griffin though if he arrived. More likely he'd cut into the playing time of Keels and Baker. Which, in the case of Keels, would be frustrating as we hope he's a multi-year guy and seeing him lose minutes would hurt the chances of that.

But, again, I would doubt Morsell is going to come to Duke.

It’s a silly thing to do, but I’m going to disagree with the experts here. With only 3 scholly guards on the roster and coach K’s love for defense, my bet is Duke is pressing hard to make this happen. If signed, Morsell will surely be in the main rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    It’s a silly thing to do, but I’m going to disagree with the experts here. With only 3 scholly guards on the roster and coach K’s love for defense, my bet is Duke is pressing hard to make this happen. If signed, Morsell will surely be in the main rotation.
    Not trying to get into a semantic discussion about guards vs wings but I could 6 guys to play 3 positions:

Roach
    Blakes
    Moore
    Keels
    Griffin
    Baker

Granted, 2 or 3 of those guys can slide down to the 4 and we probably don’t anticipate Blakes to play a ton.

But even if we exclude Blakes

PG: Roach (32), Moore (8)
    SG: Moore (24), Keels (8), Griffin (8)
    SF: Griffin (20), Keels (15), Baker (5)
    PF: Griffin (4), Baker (2)

That’s 32 minutes for Roach, Moore, AJG
    24 minutes for Keels
    7 minutes for Baker

Those minutes may be overly optimistic for the freshmen but not by an amount that would yield an appreciable amount of PT for a guy who could go somewhere else and start.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Not trying to get into a semantic discussion about guards vs wings but I could 6 guys to play 3 positions:

Roach
    Blakes
    Moore
    Keels
    Griffin
    Baker

Granted, 2 or 3 of those guys can slide down to the 4 and we probably don’t anticipate Blakes to play a ton.

24 minutes for Keels
    7 minutes for Baker

Those minutes may be overly optimistic for the freshmen but not by an amount that would yield an appreciable amount of PT for a guy who could go somewhere else and start.
    Yeah, while a few of those might be on the high end, I would presume that any additional would get soaked up by Blakes and Baker. There certainly aren't 20+ mpg available, unless you want to eliminate Blakes and Baker from the rotation altogether and cut substantially into Keels' playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, while a few of those might be on the high end, I would presume that any additional would get soaked up by Blakes and Baker. There certainly aren't 20+ mpg available, unless you want to eliminate Blakes and Baker from the rotation altogether and cut substantially into Keels' playing time.
    And I don’t want to eliminate Blakes and Baker minutes because - and let me see if I get this right - those are the exact kind of players that we anti-OAD folks have been pining for. :-p

(But truly, give me B&B as end-of-the-rotation type players, and give me Keels as the backup guard/wing - unless you’re giving me someone who is a no-brainer upgrade.)

Roach
    Blakes
    Moore
    Keels
    Griffin
    Baker

24 minutes for Keels
    7 minutes for Baker

My math may be off here and if so, I apologize. That leaves 79 minutes to be split with Williams, Banchero and Theo. If you give 32 minutes to Banchero, 28 to Williams, that leaves 14 minutes to Theo and Blakes. I could see that. Plus Banchero has the skills to be a wing.
    Interesting.
    GoDuke!

Roach
    Blakes
    Moore
    Keels
    Griffin
    Baker

24 minutes for Keels
    7 minutes for Baker

I'm sure we're all hoping for a huge sophomore bump for Roach; key if he is to play anywhere near 32 MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I'm sure we're all hoping for a huge sophomore bump for Roach; key if he is to play anywhere near 32 MPG.
    Roach averaged 27.4 mpg this year. That seems “anywhere near 32 mpg” already. And that was with another PG option on the roster. I don’t think it will take a huge sophomore leap for him to get to 32 mpg next year.

Tyrece Radford (Virginia Tech) has entered the transfer portal.

Radford ranked second on the team in scoring (12.2 ppg) as a third-year sophomore last season, when he helped the Hokies (15-7, 9-4 ACC) make the NCAA tournament. He started all 18 games in which he played. He was suspended for four games in the wake of an arrest. He earned all-ACC honorable mention honors.

He also ranked third on the team in rebounding (5.9 rpg) and first in minutes (32.2 mpg) last season. The small forward/off guard tied for fourth in assists (37).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Tyrece Radford (Virginia Tech) has entered the transfer portal.

Radford ranked second on the team in scoring (12.2 ppg) as a third-year sophomore last season, when he helped the Hokies (15-7, 9-4 ACC) make the NCAA tournament. He started all 18 games in which he played. He was suspended for four games in the wake of an arrest. He earned all-ACC honorable mention honors.

He also ranked third on the team in rebounding (5.9 rpg) and first in minutes (32.2 mpg) last season. The small forward/off guard tied for fourth in assists (37).
    Isn't he entering way late in the game? New players are already showing up on campuses. I'm sure he'll get offers, but I'd think most folks have been kind of set on their rosters by now, so his looks wouldn't be the same as if he declared back in March/April.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Isn't he entering way late in the game? New players are already showing up on campuses. I'm sure he'll get offers, but I'd think most folks have been kind of set on their rosters by now, so his looks wouldn't be the same as if he declared back in March/April.
    Maybe he's had informal discussions and is confident that at least one school he's interested in is also interested in him.

Definitely peculiar timing. He’s from Baton Rouge. Rumors I’m reading are he’s headed to play for Will Wade at LSU.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Maybe he's had informal discussions and is confident that at least one school he's interested in is also interested in him.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Definitely peculiar timing. He’s from Baton Rouge. Rumors I’m reading are he’s headed to play for Will Wade at LSU.
    That would make sense. I wonder who initiated those discussions. I'm guessing him, I would think a coach reaching out to a player not yet announced would be a no-no.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That would make sense. I wonder who initiated those discussions. I'm guessing him, I would think a coach reaching out to a player not yet announced would be a no-no.
    To be fair, Will Wade has apparently not been afraid to work on the fringe (or well into) the no-no zone.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be fair, Will Wade has apparently not been afraid to work on the fringe (or well into) the no-no zone.
    Yep, “strong a— offer.”

According to ESPN Illinois big man Kofi Cockburn is considering a transfer

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...al-sources-say

...if he transfers, odds are its to Kentucky...

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    According to ESPN Illinois big man Kofi Cockburn is considering a transfer

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...al-sources-say

...if he transfers, odds are its to Kentucky...
    So going back to my comment...I change my mind. It's not late in the game, it's DAY ONE! "Transfer to where you can make the most NIL cash".

So going back to my comment...I change my mind. It's not late in the game, it's DAY ONE! "Transfer to where you can make the most NIL cash".
    Yup. The floodgates have opened at the circus that is the NCAA … go make you a dollar or two, young men and women.