Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
    Reviving this thread. Looks like Bobby Hurley is losing one of his top players Remy Martin to Kansas, although it sounds like he could go to the NBA.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ransfer-kansas

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have not taken a long look at all the transfers coming into the ACC next season, but I have to think Gardner and Franklin will be among the top five transfers in the league. Both guys were double-digit scorers in very good leagues. I fully expect each of them to be double-digit scorers in the ACC as well. Heck, you could probably argue that Virginia is the best team in the ACC at bringing in transfers (Louisville is also up there and Notre Dame seems to do well in this category too).
    There is a good amount of talent coming into the conference via the transfer portal, including Theo John. I didn't rank these guys, but I would slot Franklin and Gardner somewhere in the middle or maybe bottom half of this list. Atkinson and Mills are my top two and then you can debate everyone else. I'd say Swider, Murphy, and Manek are probably the next three.

Paul Atkinson (Yale --> Notre Dame)
    Caleb Mills (Houston --> Florida State)
    Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky --> Florida State)
    Deivon Smith (Mississippi State --> Georgia Tech) - former top 75 RSCI player, had a so-so freshman season
    Noah Locke (Florida --> Louisville) - Excellent shooter but a little one-dimensional
    Jarrod West (Marshall --> Louisville) - Excellent defensive point guard that can do a little bit of everything
    Charlie Moore (DePaul --> Miami) Former Cal, Kansas, and DePaul PG is talented but will playing for 4th team in 6 seasons
    Jordan Miller (George Mason --> Miami) - All A-10 as a junior, super glue type player
    Brady Manek (Oklahoma --> UNC)
    Cole Swider (Villanova --> Syracuse)
    Storm Murphy (Wofford --> Virginia Tech) - The kid can really shoot the ball
    Jake Laravia (Indiana State --> Wake Forest) - a tall and thin marksman from Indiana
    Damari Monsanto (East Tennessee State - Wake Forest) - SoCon ROY last season, can score at all three levels

Just saw that Manny Bates of NCSU is considering a transfer.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/repor...major-concern/

State fans are perplexed, as Bates got plenty of playing time.

But they seem blind to the fact that State isn't very good and that maybe Bates wants to go elsewhere and play meaningful postseason games.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Just saw that Manny Bates of NCSU is considering a transfer.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/repor...major-concern/

State fans are perplexed, as Bates got plenty of playing time.

But they seem blind to the fact that State isn't very good and that maybe Bates wants to go elsewhere and play meaningful postseason games.
    yeah, transferring to play for a better team is not a good development for lesser teams. We only need to look as far as our gridiron Devils to see three guys, who would have been senior leaders, depart for the bigger lights of MSU, PSU and TT. Most unfortunate from this fan's standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    There is a good amount of talent coming into the conference via the transfer portal, including Theo John. I didn't rank these guys, but I would slot Franklin and Gardner somewhere in the middle or maybe bottom half of this list. Atkinson and Mills are my top two and then you can debate everyone else. I'd say Swider, Murphy, and Manek are probably the next three.

Paul Atkinson (Yale --> Notre Dame)
    Caleb Mills (Houston --> Florida State)
    Cam'Ron Fletcher (Kentucky --> Florida State)
    Deivon Smith (Mississippi State --> Georgia Tech) - former top 75 RSCI player, had a so-so freshman season
    Noah Locke (Florida --> Louisville) - Excellent shooter but a little one-dimensional
    Jarrod West (Marshall --> Louisville) - Excellent defensive point guard that can do a little bit of everything
    Charlie Moore (DePaul --> Miami) Former Cal, Kansas, and DePaul PG is talented but will playing for 4th team in 6 seasons
    Jordan Miller (George Mason --> Miami) - All A-10 as a junior, super glue type player
    Brady Manek (Oklahoma --> UNC)
    Cole Swider (Villanova --> Syracuse)
    Storm Murphy (Wofford --> Virginia Tech) - The kid can really shoot the ball
    Jake Laravia (Indiana State --> Wake Forest) - a tall and thin marksman from Indiana
    Damari Monsanto (East Tennessee State - Wake Forest) - SoCon ROY last season, can score at all three levels
    Here is an article (from mid-April) that ranks ACC transfers like this--

1. Armaan Frankin, Indiana to Virginia
    2. Caleb Mills, Houston to Florida State
    3. Jayden Gardner, East Carolina to Virginia
    4. Noah Locke, Florida to Louisville
    5. Paul Atkinson, Yale to Notre Dame
    6. Justin McKoy, Virginia to North Carolina
    7. Storm Murphy, Wofford to Virginia Tech
    8. Cole Swider, Villanova to Syracuse
    9. Matt Cross, Miami to Louisville
    10. Deivon Smith, Mississippi State to Georgia Tech

And here is a CBS Sports ranking of all the top 70 transfers in college basketball. These are all the ACC guys on their list --

11. Jayden Gardner
    Old school: East Carolina | New school: Virginia

32. Noah Locke
    Old school: Florida | New school: Louisville

34. Caleb Mills
    Old school: Houston | New school: Florida State

36. Brady Manek
    Old school: Oklahoma | New school: North Carolina

46. Armaan Franklin
    Old school: Indiana | New school: Virginia

55. Jarrod West
    Old school: Marshall | New school: Louisville

60. Cole Swider
    Old school: Villanova | New school: Syracuse

62. Paul Atkinson
    Old school: Yale | New school: Notre Dame
    -Jason "I hate to be the guy who says, 'I told you so,' but it looks like my assessment that Gardner and Franklin are among the top 5 transfers into the ACC is bourn out by what the experts are saying" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    And here is a CBS Sports ranking of all the top 70 transfers in college basketball. These are all the ACC guys on their list
    By the way, other transfer rankings of note --

1. Walker Kessler
    Old school: North Carolina | New school: Auburn

2. Qudus Wahab
    Old school: Georgetown | New school: Maryland

3. Remy Martin
    Old school: Arizona State | New school: Kansas

8. Garrison Brooks
    Old school: North Carolina | New school: Mississippi State

15. Xavier Johnson
    Old school: Pittsburgh | New school: Indiana

24. Kadary Richmond
    Old school: Syracuse | New school: Seton Hall

25. Chris Lykes
    Old school: Miami | New school: Arkansas

30. Au'Diese Toney
    Old school: Pittsburgh | New school: Arkansas

39. Boogie Ellis
    Old school: Memphis | New school: USC

56. Jordan Goldwire
    Old school: Duke | New school: Oklahoma

63. Jaemyn Brakefield
    Old school: Duke | New school: Ole Miss
    -Jason "Henry Coleman did not make their ranking of the top 70 transfers" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Syracuse transfer Quincy Guerrier has committed to Oregon.

Any update on Marcus Bagley?

I have no doubt he prefers to get drafted but looks like he is still in transfer portal.

Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    I have no doubt he prefers to get drafted but looks like he is still in transfer portal.
    Bagley likely wants to come to a situation where he could be featured. It would not appear Duke is in a position to offer that kind of opportunity. He would be battling AJ Griffin and Paulo Banchero for minutes.

No update, but I think it is safe to assume that if he doesn’t stay in the draft he will choose a college where he can start immediately and be a/the primary scorer. In other words, not Duke.

Darryl Morsell Considering a Final Hoorah?

Maryland Guard Darryl Morsell is considering another year of college ball according to Jeff Goodman, and he has heard from Duke's staff. Morsell has been a regular starter for the Terps throughout his college career. Morsell is the reigning Defensive Player of the Year in the B1G. As you might assume, the shooting has been a bugaboo for him. The jump shot has never shown up.

One option is for Morsell to return to College Park. But he might be an ideal bench player for Duke if they are concerned about experience and defensive prowess in the backcourt. Like Theo John, Morsell might want to be part of a team that should be featured on national television on the regular. Duke is not the only option. This could be one of the final pieces to the puzzle, though, as Duke does not have a player quite like Morsell on the roster next season.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...21081849675777

He would be a great fit . Duke needs perimeter defense and ball handling more than they need scoring. He would be a great addition to the team. Sounds like another Goldwire type player with better passing skills.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Maryland Guard Darryl Morsell is considering another year of college ball according to Jeff Goodman, and he has heard from Duke's staff. Morsell has been a regular starter for the Terps throughout his college career. Morsell is the reigning Defensive Player of the Year in the B1G. As you might assume, the shooting has been a bugaboo for him. The jump shot has never shown up.

One option is for Morsell to return to College Park. But he might be an ideal bench player for Duke if they are concerned about experience and defensive prowess in the backcourt. Like Theo John, Morsell might want to be part of a team that should be featured on national television on the regular. Duke is not the only option. This could be one of the final pieces to the puzzle, though, as Duke does not have a player quite like Morsell on the roster next season.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...21081849675777
    that's a good morsel...

He would be a great fit . Duke needs perimeter defense and ball handling more than they need scoring. He would be a great addition to the team. Sounds like another Goldwire type player with better passing skills.
    Goldwire averaged 4 assists per game in 28.5 mpg last year, while Morsell averaged 2.8 assists in 29.4 mpg. Also, Goldwire averaged 2.2 steals to Morsell’s 0.9. Morsell was the better scorer, but doesn’t seem to be as good defensively nor as good a passer as Goldwire.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Goldwire averaged 4 assists per game in 28.5 mpg last year, while Morsell averaged 2.8 assists in 29.4 mpg. Also, Goldwire averaged 2.2 steals to Morsell’s 0.9. Morsell was the better scorer, but doesn’t seem to be as good defensively nor as good a passer as Goldwire.
    Morsell was also Big 10 defensive player of the year, 2 time all Big 10 and 1 time Big 10 all defensive team. So based on accolades, he should be a better (and certainly more versatile) defender than Jordan Goldwire. He's a 6'5" guard who is elite defensively. I would take that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Morsell was also Big 10 defensive player of the year, 2 time all Big 10 and 1 time Big 10 all defensive team. So based on accolades, he should be a better (and certainly more versatile) defender than Jordan Goldwire. He's a 6'5" guard who is elite defensively. I would take that for sure.
    Oh I would surely take him, just like I would take any veteran starter from tourney caliber programs (provided they are comfortable being a reserve of course. I was more commenting on the description of “Goldwire type with better passing.” There just aren’t many similarities between Morsell and Goldwire.

Oh I would surely take him, just like I would take any veteran starter from tourney caliber programs (provided they are comfortable being a reserve of course. I was more commenting on the description of “Goldwire type with better passing.” There just aren’t many similarities between Morsell and Goldwire.
    I think we all agree that Goldwire was a defensive-minded player, both based on statistics and the eye test. Morsell was conference defensive player of the year in a strong conference. So that would lead me to believe that he is also a defensive-minded player. I would trust the votes of the conference's coaches as an indicator of his defensive ability over his steals per game metric. Statistics are a tool, not a be-all, end-all.

From what I can tell from his profile, it looks like he graduated the summer after his third year at Maryland, which is impressive. I have a hard time believing that he would choose to come to Duke, but crazier things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think we all agree that Goldwire was a defensive-minded player, both based on statistics and the eye test. Morsell was conference defensive player of the year in a strong conference. So that would lead me to believe that he is also a defensive-minded player. I would trust the votes of the conference's coaches as an indicator of his defensive ability over his steals per game metric. Statistics are a tool, not a be-all, end-all.

From what I can tell from his profile, it looks like he graduated the summer after his third year at Maryland, which is impressive. I have a hard time believing that he would choose to come to Duke, but crazier things have happened.
    I was more focused on the “better passer” part. It does appear that Morsell is a good defender, and as I said he was a multi-year starter and I would gladly take him. He just isn’t anything like Goldwire, and certainly doesn’t appear to be a better passer.

I was more focused on the “better passer” part. It does appear that Morsell is a good defender, and as I said he was a multi-year starter and I would gladly take him. He just isn’t anything like Goldwire, and certainly doesn’t appear to be a better passer.
    Once again this is devolving into an angels on a pin battle of semantics, which is why I usually stay off of these threads...

They are both defensive-minded guards who can likely provide veteran leadership. I agree that the other poster's comment about Morsell being a better passer is likely incorrect, though the stats are close enough that I will defer to those who have actually seen him play. Despite his relatively weak assist numbers, he did lead Maryland in assists.

Bottom line is that he could likely fill a valuable niche on the team because any team can use a 6-5 guard who was Big 10 defensive player of the year. But I don't think he is likely to come and I'm not losing sleep over us getting him.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Bottom line is that he could likely fill a valuable niche on the team because any team can use a 6-5 guard who was Big 10 defensive player of the year. But I don't think he is likely to come and I'm not losing sleep over us getting him.
    I agree with both of these statements. I just don’t think they are similar players, especially not as passers.