Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    JGold is down to Oregon State, Wichita State, Utah, BYU, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma
    https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/stat...41109979885568

Not what I would have expected from a Georgia boy who played in the ACC but he clearly wants to check out the western half of the country.

Kinda bummed he is not following Nate to Austin Peay... he could be all-conference in the OVC.
    If he ends up at Wichita State, I may just have to make a road trip to watch him play - wearing an appropriate Duke shirt, of course.

CJ Fredrick entered the portal from Iowa. Seems like he could be a good fit with Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    CJ Fredrick entered the portal from Iowa. Seems like he could be a good fit with Duke.
    I think he has been linked to Kentucky, which is where he is from.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Tanner Groves from Eastern Washington to Oklahoma, largely to replace Brady Manek who transferred to UNC. Unclear whether Groves's brother Jacob will also transfer to Oklahoma. I believe this is also one of the final school on Goldwire's list (Groves is a big so doesn't impact Jordan from that perspective).

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ma-sources-say
    And that’s where Goldwire is heading.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Hey, I remember him!

MacMclung has withdrawn from the portal and will remain at Texas Tech. I could care less about McClung as we had no interest in him, but in the bigger picture I like the idea of players entering the portal and then deciding to stay put. Kind of like putting your name in the draft and getting feedback and then withdrawing. He should be free to do so and with so many players in the portal I imagine quite a few of them will realize the grass isn’t greener.

Baylor reloading with James Akinjo.

Akinjo averaged 15.6 points and 5.4 assists while starting all 26 games in his only season at Arizona after starting his college career at Georgetown. He was a second-team Associated Press All-Pac 12 pick for the Wildcats, who had a recent coaching change.
    You may remember the name. Akinjo scored 19 for Georgetown in a losing effort to Duke in the 2019 Empire Classic. Coincidentally, Mac McClung (see one post above) was a fellow Georgetown starter in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Akinjo is a fine pick up for the Bears, but they lose Jared Butler, Davion Mitchell and MaCio Teague and it is going to be really hard to replace those three studs. I know the consensus is that Baylor is still a top ten team, but I'm far from convinced. I think Butler and Mitchell were truly special and you don't just find someone else to do the same things they did.

Akinjo hit 38% of his FGs last season, Mitchell hit 51%.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I just read that 12 players from the Syracuse women's team have entered the portal to leave that program.

Wow... and we are freaking out about losing 2 deep bench freshman and a pair of 5th year seniors (one of whom was also a deep bencher).

I just read that 12 players from the Syracuse women's team have entered the portal to leave that program.

Wow... and we are freaking out about losing 2 deep bench freshman and a pair of 5th year seniors (one of whom was also a deep bencher).
    Maybe Boeheim has been more . . . prolific that we realized and there are a couple of daughters transferring in??

And now Quincy Gurrier has executed the new cool-kids move of both declaring for the draft and entering the transfer portal.

I sort of get the first but not the second for him. If he doesn't go pro, why the heck would he transfer? He played 32 mpg last year and with the losses of Kadary Richmond and Alan Griffin, and Boeheim's traditionally tight rotation, was absolutely going to play as much again this year.

There really does seem to be an insane amount of nonsensical portaling -- hopefully it will calm down after this year's crazy combination of covid + the initial go-round of the one free transfer works its way through the system.

If I'm Brad Stevens, no way do I ever want to come back to college and deal with this.

Gurrier played HS ball in Vermont, maybe he found Syracuse to be too warm?

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ks-mercer-duke

Good thoughts by JD. Honestly, I had not even thought of how devastating this could prove for D-II schools.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Michigan has landed Coastal Carolina point guard DeVante’ Jones: https://mgoblog.com/content/hoops-he...vante%27-jones

Jones had interest from places like Memphis, Texas and Texas Tech and is the reigning Sun Belt player of the year.

This is big news for Michigan, as Jones could conceivably slot right into the spot left by Mike Smith, or provide a veteran backup if one of Michigan’s talented young guards claims the starting PG role. Even assuming Franz Wagner leaves (he remains the consensus highest rated NBA prospect yet to officially declare, for whatever reason), PG was Michigan’s biggest question mark, and this goes a long way to answering that question. The Wolverines could start next year with 3 of their 5 starters from the Elite 8 game, two incoming 5*s, and now an impact transfer. With so much attrition from the conference, Michigan and maybe Ohio State look to be a clear top tier in the B1G right now.

Have to give Calipari credit for grabbing Kellen Grady (38%) and CJ Fredrick (47%) as knockdown three point shooters to bolster Kentucky's backcourt.

Three point shooting has been a weakness for both Duke and Kentucky the past couple of years. Have to confess I may like what Calipari has done to address that more than what we have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Have to give Calipari credit for grabbing Kellen Grady (38%) and CJ Fredrick (47%) as knockdown three point shooters to bolster Kentucky's backcourt.

Three point shooting has been a weakness for both Duke and Kentucky the past couple of years. Have to confess I may like what Calipari has done to address that more than what we have done.
    In the past day, I saw an article somewhere (ESPN? The Athletic?) suggesting that the next stage for Cal is to become the master of the transfer portal. While he should still shoot for top high school talent, he'd be better served pitching Kentucky as an NBA finishing school and trying to skim the cream off the top. Interesting concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    In the past day, I saw an article somewhere (ESPN? The Athletic?) suggesting that the next stage for Cal is to become the master of the transfer portal. While he should still shoot for top high school talent, he'd be better served pitching Kentucky as an NBA finishing school and trying to skim the cream off the top. Interesting concept.
    Well, except there are very few transfer guy who are future lottery picks (Cam Johnson did this, but there are precious few others). It happens sometimes, but generally, the "NBA finishing" transfers are guys who are mid-late 2nd rounders who hope to get noticed and become late first round picks.

I suspect Cal is, like K, mostly interested in coaching the next Zion or De'Aaron Fox and not the next Cody Martin or Semi Ojeleye.

Well, except there are very few transfer guy who are future lottery picks (Cam Johnson did this, but there are precious few others). It happens sometimes, but generally, the "NBA finishing" transfers are guys who are mid-late 2nd rounders who hope to get noticed and become late first round picks.

I suspect Cal is, like K, mostly interested in coaching the next Zion or De'Aaron Fox and not the next Cody Martin or Semi Ojeleye.
    What about coaching the next Davion Mitchell or Macio Teague though? Scott Drew has been explicit that he thinks recruiting high school players is kind of a waste of time and he intends to continue to build his team with transfers like those guys. He's not the only one either. Certainly an alternative, and legitimate in today's climate, way to build a college basketball team and perhaps sustain a successful program. We shall see.

Call also threw his hat in the ring for Marcus Bagley