Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Looks like former Kentucky guard Askew is going to Texas. I was expecting him to head back to the west coast.

https://247sports.com/Article/Devin-...ard-164075641/

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Is Duke a) reaching out to transfers and, if so, is are they b) gaining traction with transfers?

It's so much harder to get info with transfers than HS recruits.
    I'm hearing Ivan Renko is still available in the transfer portal. The man has 4 years of eligibility left. Doubt he would want to come in and compete for minutes here if he couldn't even get suited up for Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Looks like former Kentucky guard Askew is going to Texas. I was expecting him to head back to the west coast.

I guess your view was slightly Askew?

VT officially announced the addition of PG Storm Murphy for next year.

Averaged 17.8P, 3.3 R, 4.3A for Wofford. Shooting almost 42% from 3. Insurance/replacement in case Bede doesn't come back. (Totally different player but still a PG)

Where do they find all these guys who can shoot lights-out from 3?

Backcourt of Storm-Hunter?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post

I would assume that means Mac McClung will be heading elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by amusedcupcake View Post
    I'm hearing Ivan Renko is still available in the transfer portal. The man has 4 years of eligibility left. Doubt he would want to come in and compete for minutes here if he couldn't even get suited up for Indiana.

Think Ivan doesn’t like to play during the day. He only likes to play Knight games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post

Averaged 17.8P, 3.3 R, 4.3A for Wofford. Shooting almost 42% from 3. Insurance/replacement in case Bede doesn't come back. (Totally different player but still a PG)

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Hey, this isn't the weather channel...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    They were convinced that Brad Stevens was going to replace Huck. Delusional fan base.
    Hey, everybody knows you have to be true-blue UNC if you want to coach there, recruit there, etc etc. Hubert done said.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Think Ivan doesn’t like to play during the day. He only likes to play Knight games.
    How old do you have to be to know who Ivan Renko is? Probably at least 40.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

According to Jeff Goodman, there are currently 1250 scholarship D1 basketball players who have entered the portal and another 100+ walk-ons who have as well.

Texas Tech, Depaul, and Minnesota have all seen 9 players go into the portal. St John's and Utah have had 8 each.

So, Duke losing 2 guys to the portal and 2 (maybe 3) to the NBA draft is a program in a pretty steady position compared to most.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    According to Jeff Goodman, there are currently 1250 scholarship D1 basketball players who have entered the portal and another 100+ walk-ons who have as well.

Texas Tech, Depaul, and Minnesota have all seen 9 players go into the portal. St John's and Utah have had 8 each.

So, Duke losing 2 guys to the portal and 2 (maybe 3) to the NBA draft is a program in a pretty steady position compared to most.
    Warning: higher math to follow. There are 350 men's Div I basketball teams, and a max of 13 scholarship players per team, or a potential of 4,550 players under scholarship. The 1,250 in the transfer portal would be at least 27.5 percent of scholarship students -- certainly higher because not all scholarships are used. But many of those encumbering scholarships are entering freshman. Considering these by subtracting one-fourth of total scholarships, then the percent in transfer portal is at least 36.6 percent

Accepting a basketball scholarship these days is like signing up for summer camp. You can go to a different one every year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Warning: higher math to follow. There are 350 men's Div I basketball teams, and a max of 13 scholarship players per team, or a potential of 4,550 players under scholarship. The 1,250 in the transfer portal would be at least 27.5 percent of scholarship students -- certainly higher because not all scholarships are used. But many of those encumbering scholarships are entering freshman. Considering these by subtracting one-fourth of total scholarships, then the percent in transfer portal is at least 36.6 percent

Accepting a basketball scholarship these days is like signing up for summer camp. You can go to a different one every year.
    It was my understanding there would be no math.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It was my understanding there would be no math.
    If you don't want math, you can always go to Inside Carolina, where they just make stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    If you don't want math, you can always go to Inside Carolina, where they just make stuff up.
    Two thumbs up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    They all come from Wofford where Young used to coach before winning ACC COY in acc ! Aluma. Catoor and now Murphy. Half of their top tier ACC team is from Wofford

Theo John from Marquette just entered the portal. 6'9 big body. Good rebounder. Dont know if we would have interest, but would make for good depth behind Mark if they want to keep Paolo mostly at the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

And we're going to be seeing this continue going forward as the NCAA just approved a "one time transfer rule" where a player can transfer without sitting out once in their college career. It goes into effect TOMORROW. (Of course, this year there was a blanket "no sit out" rule regardless of prior transfers.)
    https://247sports.com/Article/ncaa-a...al--164163440/

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    And we're going to be seeing this continue going forward as the NCAA just approved a "one time transfer rule" where a player can transfer without sitting out once in their college career. It goes into effect TOMORROW. (Of course, this year there was a blanket "no sit out" rule regardless of prior transfers.)
    https://247sports.com/Article/ncaa-a...al--164163440/
    Good. I generally am in favor of rule changes that benefit players. Students can transfer without sitting out classes for a year, or being prohibited from playing in the orchestra or joining the debate team for a year. Coaches and professors can immediately leave for a new job. And sprinters/golfers/fencers/tennis players and others can transfer without sitting out a year of competition. So why were basketball/baseball/football players treated differently from everyone else?

Things will be different, yes. Change is happening. But it generally shifts power from schools/coaches to players, so I'm in favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Theo John from Marquette just entered the portal. 6'9 big body. Good rebounder. Dont know if we would have interest, but would make for good depth behind Mark if they want to keep Paolo mostly at the 4.
    FWIW, a Minnesota message board speculates that Duke is "very likely" the landing spot for John. Carrawell and John overlapped at Marquette and again, FWIW, Carrawell is supposedly working this. Keep your eye on this as the center back-up Duke needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    FWIW, a Minnesota message board speculates that Duke is "very likely" the landing spot for John. Carrawell and John overlapped at Marquette and again, FWIW, Carrawell is supposedly working this. Keep your eye on this as the center back-up Duke needs.
    That's encouraging. John would be a great get for us. Seasoned, physically mature and productive role player with no illusions of stardom.