Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

2021 Offseason Transfers

We've been mostly tracking this stuff in the 2021 recruiting thread, but I think it needs its own home because transfers are a somewhat different animal from recruits (transfers are a more known commodity).

Anyway, lets get it started with this... pretty much the entire Penn St. starting lineup has entered the transfer portal. They just got a new coach and it seems the old players don't want to play for the new guy: https://victorybellrings.com/2021/03...ansfer-portal/

Within 12 hours of announcing their new head coach, Penn State Basketball starting Point Guard Jamari Wheeler, starting SF Izaiah Brockington, starting Center John Harrar, starting SG Myreon Jones and back-up center Trent Buttrick have all entered the transfer portal
    6-3 Myreon Jones averaged 15+ppg and hit almost 40% of his 3s last year. 6-9, 240 Harrar was almost a walking double double, scoring about 9 ppg and 9 rpg. 6-4 Brockington scored 12+ppg and grabbed nearly 5 rpg, but shot very poorly (25% from 3) from the perimeter.

Anyway, have to imagine some of these guys are going to really help out some programs.

With the NCAA essentially granting free agency this coming summer, I suspect we are going to see transfers like never before. I know Duke is taking a long look at who is available in the transfer portal and I won't be surprised if we lose someone to transfer (no idea who, but I think it is going to become a really common thing this summer and few teams will avoid it).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

ACC Rule

While we are on the subject of transfers I saw this scroll by on ESPN yesterday.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...fer-conference

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We've been mostly tracking this stuff in the 2021 recruiting thread, but I think it needs its own home because transfers are a somewhat different animal from recruits (transfers are a more known commodity).

Anyway, lets get it started with this... pretty much the entire Penn St. starting lineup has entered the transfer portal. They just got a new coach and it seems the old players don't want to play for the new guy: https://victorybellrings.com/2021/03...ansfer-portal/
    In case anyone was wondering about their PG (because I was):

Jamari Wheeler, stats from his senior year
    6' 1"
    35% from 3
    FG 40% overall
    FT 63%
    Assist+Steals to TO ratio: 3/1
    He was on the All Big-10 Defensive Team.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...jamari-wheeler

If Duke is looking for a PG via the portal, I'd keep looking. I'd rather keep JGold (assuming he wants to stay on) and look for Roach to improve than spend a scholarship here.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Not directed at you specifically but we all need to stop this. It ain't happening. Jordan has made up his mind and he is done playing college basketball.
    https://www.fayobserver.com/story/sp...ls/4714824001/

Jason Evans, you are Fake news.
    Last edited by amusedcupcake; 03-16-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amusedcupcake View Post
    In this business though, when there is smoke, there generally is fire. Assuming that Roach and Steward come back and maybe even Wendell, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jordan look somewhere where he can be used as more of a primary piece in the offense. At least that’s what my thinking would be if I were him.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    In this business though, when there is smoke, there generally is fire. Assuming that Roach and Steward come back and maybe even Wendell, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jordan look somewhere where he can be used as more of a primary piece in the offense. At least that’s what my thinking would be if I were him.
    I don't think a transfer is a possibility for Goldwire. He has played 4 years at Duke and can only take the extra year if it is at the same institution.

And while I hear what the Fayetteville paper is reporting, and I would love to have Jordan's D back on the team next season, my sources all indicate that Jordan is not coming back. Could he change his mind? Sure... but the plan FOR NOW is for him to not return to Duke.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

With the NCAA essentially granting free agency this coming summer...
    Do we actually know that this is true? I've not seen this cited from any official source. And how would this affect the extra COVID year, which currently is only applicable if a player stays at his current school?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Primary piece in the offense? He just doesn't have the skillset for that. He couldn't be a primary piece in an offense at the high major level. Maybe not even at the mid major level. How low would he have to go to be primary? Wherever that level is, it would be tough to do after having spent four (well, three anyway) years in front of the Crazies and the rest of the atmospheres in the ACC and competing for championships.

With the NCAA essentially granting free agency this coming summer...
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Do we actually know that this is true? I've not seen this cited from any official source. And how would this affect the extra COVID year, which currently is only applicable if a player stays at his current school?
    Something will have to give - the NCAA will be awash in players with extra eligibility.

-jk

Jay Heath from BC just entered the portal. Sophomore 6’3 guard who averaged 14.5 points. The number of players who have done so is growing by the hour, but he’s one we at least have some degree of familiarity with.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Something will have to give - the NCAA will be awash in players with extra eligibility.

-jk
    Scholarship limits could come into play also. For the fall sports, extra year seniors don't count against the limit for 2021, but it's not clear if that rule also applies to winter sports for next year. Regardless, it looks like there will be a scholarship limit issue at some schools the next few years as the fall waiver is only for one year. All the current underclass players also get an extra year, so we will have a few years where fifth year students will be straining the limits.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Jay Heath from BC just entered the portal. Sophomore 6’3 guard who averaged 14.5 points. The number of players who have done so is growing by the hour, but he’s one we at least have some degree of familiarity with.
    Heath was BC's best player. There will be a lot of interest here. If Duke misses on Keels, I would be interested in Heath more than most of the other transfer options mentioned upthread.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Heath was BC's best player. There will be a lot of interest here. If Duke misses on Keels, I would be interested in Heath more than most of the other transfer options mentioned upthread.
    The ACC has changed the "sit out a year" rule for intra-conference transfers, but will K be truly willing to jump on that bandwagon? It still could be construed as poaching from the neighbors, which is likely not to Duke's benefit in the long run. He's traditionally been very cautious about breaking those kinds of barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Wellllll... I know his teammates were not great but Heath wasn't exactly a stud among slouches. He was a high usage player who was not very efficient. He took a lot of mid-range 2s and was not very good at hitting them. And, while 35% from 3 is good, it isn't great and yet Heath fired up more than 6 3FGA per game. Considering he had the ball in his hands a lot, he tended not to pass it all that much, averaging less than 2 assists per game. He was a below average offensive player according to the advanced stats and he had a negative 1.9 box plus minus on defense, which is pretty bad. His scoring output was the result of playing heavy minutes and taking a lot of shots, not being really great on offense. His other counting stats are pretty pedestrian.

I'm not saying I don't want him, but I am not sure he is a great fit for Duke.

A new IPA/IIPA aficionado has now become a recruiting/rosterbation "guru!" What next, bracketology 2022?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I don't think a transfer is a possibility for Goldwire. He has played 4 years at Duke and can only take the extra year if it is at the same institution.

And while I hear what the Fayetteville paper is reporting, and I would love to have Jordan's D back on the team next season, my sources all indicate that Jordan is not coming back. Could he change his mind? Sure... but the plan FOR NOW is for him to not return to Duke.
    Do you happen to have a link for your source? I understand that rumor mongering is frowned upon around here.

Rumor mongering. We're not a tabloid and we're not going to be a party to propagating rumors. If you can't find a legitimate, mainstream media outlet with the information, it's likely a rumor. Don't post it. Asking about it, stating that it's a rumor, or linking to another message board's post is still rumor mongering.
    I trust his dad over anyone other than Jordan himself. If he says he's undecided, I will take his word.

A small tidbit to note, and didn't know where to mention it: if he does return, Jordan Goldwire would stand a good chance of setting a new record for games played by a Duke player.

The current record is held by Amile Jefferson, who played 150 games, thanks to his getting a medical redshirt for a fifth year.

Goldwire has currently played 116 games in his career, meaning he'd need to play in 34 games to tie the record. If Duke has a normal schedule, makes a postseason run, and Jordan stays healthy, it could happen. Worth noting Amile Jefferson entered his final year having played in 115 games, one behind Goldwire's current pace.

So if he returns, that's a record this nerd will be tracking.

Wellllll... I know his teammates were not great but Heath wasn't exactly a stud among slouches. He was a high usage player who was not very efficient. He took a lot of mid-range 2s and was not very good at hitting them. And, while 35% from 3 is good, it isn't great and yet Heath fired up more than 6 3FGA per game. Considering he had the ball in his hands a lot, he tended not to pass it all that much, averaging less than 2 assists per game. He was a below average offensive player according to the advanced stats and he had a negative 1.9 box plus minus on defense, which is pretty bad. His scoring output was the result of playing heavy minutes and taking a lot of shots, not being really great on offense. His other counting stats are pretty pedestrian.

I'm not saying I don't want him, but I am not sure he is a great fit for Duke.
    The times I saw Heath play it seemed to me that he was forced into some bad-outcome decisions in large part because of the lack of talent surrounding him. If you're the only one on the floor who can create a shot, you're going to take some bad shots. He did play at the ACC level and BC is a very good academic school.

I'd much rather have Keels and the success of guys like Carlik Jones and Aluma at ACC schools suggests that mid-major transfers can play well at this level. But I wouldn't be so quick to write off Heath. As a first-guard-off-the-bench option, surrounded by elite talent, I would expect his advanced stats to be much better in a different context.

But we're talking about a head coach who has accepted six transfers in 42 years. Can he adapt to this new landscape or does he even want to?
    Last edited by jimsumner; 03-17-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Anyone know if we have any interest in Marcus Carr?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffborze...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Anyone know if we have any interest in Marcus Carr?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffborze...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
    That's a pretty impressive stat sheet. He doesn't look like the kind of player who makes a move to become a complementary player. Does Duke have the minutes and touches he might be looking for?