Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Boogie Ellis decommits from Duke

https://t.co/qR7rLhDIL5

Bad news for Duke. This is major blowback from the Cassius Stanley commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post

Yikes.

How do you know this is related to Cassius Stanley? Are you guessing or do you have actual intel?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    How do you know this is related to Cassius Stanley? Are you guessing or do you have actual intel?
    Sorry, complete speculation. But it would be hard to be coincidence based on the timing of Stanley's commitment and this news.

Just saw this. Wow! Big blow to our team, though perhaps the most positive spin is that maybe Stanley is better than expected. I was hoping Ellis could serve as a backup PG for us, but I guess that role now falls to Goldwire.

Mods: I feel like this topic deserves its own thread.

Where is he going to land. Apparently his only other official visit was UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby91 View Post
    Where is he going to land. Apparently his only other official visit was UNC.
    He's been playing really well lately. Could see himself as a 1 and done type if he has the ball in his hands. With Tre back, and Stanley, Moore, and AOC all competing for spots at the 2 guard spot, he's not gonna be able to control the ball.

That being said, I can all but guarantee you he's not going to UNC to play behind Cole Anthony and compete with Anthony Harris.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Sorry, complete speculation. But it would be hard to be coincidence based on the timing of Stanley's commitment and this news.
    More speculation here, but I think Jones coming back probably played a role as well. Ellis is a combo guard but probably wants to develop as a PG. Between Jones, Goldwire, O’Connell, Stanley, maybe even Moore we had a real logjam at the guard spots.

O’Connell is pretty much our only shooter at the 1-3 positions. Really need him to make a jump.

I'm not sure this is it. They are from the same area, know each other, and Boogie has been tweeting videos of he and Cassius at all star games as "Duke Commits." Doesn't seem like someone who is pissed off about Stanley joining the team.

I think he's got some people in his ear telling him that he would be better off NBA wise going somewhere else. That's just a guess though.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

This is terrible news!!!

I was very excited to have Boogie on board. Man.

- Chillin

Well now we have an opening if Hampton wants to reconsider, or Nico Mannion wants to stay clear of that dumpster fire in AZ. I know, I’m dreaming...

Well, it is certainly sad to see a player have a change of heart. But folks were already discussing how challenging it was going to be to find minutes for everyone. This just sort of addresses that problem. Not the most cheerful of silver linings, but I'm trying.

The biggest downside, of course, is that it's one less option to potentially return for the 2021 season. That team is likely to have a ton of turnover, as only 3 players would be potential upperclassmen returning (Baker as a junior, O'Connell and Goldwire as seniors), and those 3 have a combined 1362 career minutes. And given the still-crowded roster as is, that number might or might not get much above 2000 next year. Ellis seemed like a player who would have been a multi-year guy, whereas the other four freshmen (Carey and Hurt due to top-10 status, Moore given his USAB resume, Stanley given his advanced age for a prospect) have a higher risk of being one-and-done.

Hopefully we are able to fill in the holes so that it's not such a small number of returning players. I'd still very much like to see a true transfer added this summer to bolster the 2021 team. But it might need to be two.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    This is terrible news!!!

I was very excited to have Boogie on board. Man.

- Chillin
    Yeah, as much as I've lauded Hurt, Boogie was the best shooter on this team. I was looking forward to watching him drain NBA threes, whether this upcoming season or the next. I'm annoyed by this news. And if he goes to UNC...

Terrible news about Boogie. It just goes to highlight how crazy this one and done phase has become.

Sorry Boogie, but you playing 35 minutes as a Freshman is unlikely to get you drafted in the first round no matter where you go.

What happened to sitting as a Freshman and being patient enough to develop into an actual pro prospect? These kids just think because they are ranked they deserve to be drafted. Its crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, as much as I've lauded Hurt, Boogie was the best shooter on this team. I was looking forward to watching him drain NBA threes, whether this upcoming season or the next. I'm annoyed by this news. And if he goes to UNC...
    I can't imagine him going to UNC. They just had 3 guards commit in last week. Not a lot of PT there either.

I can't imagine him going to UNC. They just had 3 guards commit in last week. Not a lot of PT there either.
    Looks like memphis or USC to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, it is certainly sad to see a player have a change of heart. But folks were already discussing how challenging it was going to be to find minutes for everyone. This just sort of addresses that problem. Not the most cheerful of silver linings, but I'm trying.

The biggest downside, of course, is that it's one less option to potentially return for the 2021 season. That team is likely to have a ton of turnover, as only 3 players would be potential upperclassmen returning (Baker as a junior, O'Connell and Goldwire as seniors), and those 3 have a combined 1362 career minutes. And given the still-crowded roster as is, that number might or might not get much above 2000 next year. Ellis seemed like a player who would have been a multi-year guy, whereas the other four freshmen (Carey and Hurt due to top-10 status, Moore given his USAB resume, Stanley given his advanced age for a prospect) have a higher risk of being one-and-done.

Hopefully we are able to fill in the holes so that it's not such a small number of returning players. I'd still very much like to see a true transfer added this summer to bolster the 2021 team. But it might need to be two.
    What is it with us and these California kids. We just don't seem to mesh well with them since Demarcus?

Im hoping Cassius Stanley stays at least another year or two because that dude isn't ready for the NBA either.

What is it about players from the west coast and leaving our program? Chris Burgess, Taylor King, Jamal Boykin, Derryck Thornton, Chase Jeter, now Ellis. We should just stop recruiting in CA and Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    What is it about players from the west coast and leaving our program? Chris Burgess, Taylor King, Jamal Boykin, Derryck Thornton, Chase Jeter, now Ellis. We should just stop recruiting in CA and Nevada.
    You read my mind.

Even when Boogie committed, I was thinking to myself, lets hope this kid breaks the california curse. Turns out he doesn't even make it on campus.

We should stop recruiting these west coast kids. They are just built differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    We should stop recruiting these west coast kids. They are just built differently.
    Carrick Felix, too.

Marvin worked out pretty well, though. Maybe they just need to be the #1 guy in the class.