0 0%
  • Georgetown

1 3.45%
  • UNC Greensboro

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

2021 NCAA East Regional Thread (Michigan, Alabama, Texas, FSU)

Discuss and pick the regional winner here.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    As a Michigan fan I’m happy the Wolverines avoided Oklahoma State, especially as a 4 seed. I also think that, even though FSU would be a very tough matchup and they have the size to match up with Hunter Dickinson, it’s a better matchup than a stretch 5 for the young center... so if I’m Michigan I’d rather play FSU than, say, Virginia. Alabama and Texas have been hot and cold all year.

Honestly, the best thing for Michigan is that they knew they wouldn’t have to play either Illinois or Ohio State in their bracket thanks to the conference bracketing principles. Even without Livers, Michigan can beat every team in their bracket and arguably will have a plus matchup with Dickinson against every potential opponent except FSU. The popular pick will be to eschew chalk here because of the Livers injury, but I don’t see any team that Michigan won’t be a clear favorite against.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    As a Michigan fan I’m happy the Wolverines avoided Oklahoma State, especially as a 4 seed. I also think that, even though FSU would be a very tough matchup and they have the size to match up with Hunter Dickinson, it’s a better matchup than a stretch 5 for the young center... so if I’m Michigan I’d rather play FSU than, say, Virginia. Alabama and Texas have been hot and cold all year.

Honestly, the best thing for Michigan is that they knew they wouldn’t have to play either Illinois or Ohio State in their bracket thanks to the conference bracketing principles. Even without Livers, Michigan can beat every team in their bracket and arguably will have a plus matchup with Dickinson against every potential opponent except FSU. The popular pick will be to eschew chalk here because of the Livers injury, but I don’t see any team that Michigan won’t be a clear favorite against.
    I haven't seen Alabama play much but while they're good, it wouldn't surprise me if FSU with all that size and athleticism is the most difficult obstacle in Michigan's way. Texas has some players - if that game with Alabama happens that could be a really good one.

That being said, this seems like the weakest group of #2 seeds I've ever seen. Houston? Alabama? Iowa? Even Ohio State. Yeah, they played two tight ones with Michigan but still. These teams seem like the level of 4-seeds in a normal year. This looks like all four #1 seeds should be pretty heavy favorites to get to the FF. I know they all won't, but this really does seem like a top 4, and then a significant gap between them and everybody else.

Scott, what are you hearing about Livers? Is this a fracture and he's just done for the year? Or is it a stress "injury" and they're just not saying much but there's some confidence he could return in a week or two? They'll probably play it pretty close to the vest, like K does, with injuries especially at this time of year, but are you hearing anything reliable in either direction?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I haven't seen Alabama play much but while they're good, it wouldn't surprise me if FSU with all that size and athleticism is the most difficult obstacle in Michigan's way. Texas has some players - if that game with Alabama happens that could be a really good one.

That being said, this seems like the weakest group of #2 seeds I've ever seen. Houston? Alabama? Iowa? Even Ohio State. Yeah, they played two tight ones with Michigan but still. These teams seem like the level of 4-seeds in a normal year. This looks like all four #1 seeds should be pretty heavy favorites to get to the FF. I know they all won't, but this really does seem like a top 4, and then a significant gap between them and everybody else.

Scott, what are you hearing about Livers? Is this a fracture and he's just done for the year? Or is it a stress "injury" and they're just not saying much but there's some confidence he could return in a week or two? They'll probably play it pretty close to the vest, like K does, with injuries especially at this time of year, but are you hearing anything reliable in either direction?
    In the press availability after the OSU loss both Livers and Howard said it was a stress “fracture”, which obviously isn’t good news, but neither is definitively saying he’s done for the year. If I had to hazard a guess, I would think he might be able to make his way back for the final four but probably not before.

That said, I actually found Michigan’s loss to OSU as encouraging as a loss could be. Without Livers and even Wagner for the stretch run with foul trouble, Michigan still had a game winning chance. And Dickinson isn’t going to see as bad a matchup as OSU presents with Liddell able to take him outside. If it can be the Franz and Hunter show without Livers, I think Michigan is still the clear favorite. I think we’ll get a sense of that after the first weekend for sure.

alabama got screwed here with #16KP uconn as their 7 seed.
    April 1

Why didn’t Michigan not even try to get the ball inside to Dickerson on that last play? Howard had a TO and close to 30 seconds on the clock but had no play called.

Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    Why didn’t Michigan not even try to get the ball inside to Dickerson on that last play? Howard had a TO and close to 30 seconds on the clock but had no play called.
    People will be asking that question for a LONG time. I don't have a problem with ensuring you get the absolute last shot in that situation... analytics wise that's probably the best play (i.e., if you have a 50% chance of scoring you want to let it ride at that, rather than leave 7 seconds on the clock and leave yourself vulnerable to the 10-20% chance the opponent answers). But given that our usual go-to scorers (Livers and Wagner) were out, it would make sense to call timeout and design a play that gets Dickinson the ball with 5-7 seconds on the block.

That said, watching the play back Juwan did get the switch he wanted with the basic screen there, so if all he wanted was Smith to get off a decent jumper that's what happened. I've seen worse (i.e. pure iso ball) in that situation, haha. Smith tried to pull an Austin Rivers, and just couldn't do it.

People will be asking that question for a LONG time. I don't have a problem with ensuring you get the absolute last shot in that situation... analytics wise that's probably the best play (i.e., if you have a 50% chance of scoring you want to let it ride at that, rather than leave 7 seconds on the clock and leave yourself vulnerable to the 10-20% chance the opponent answers). But given that our usual go-to scorers (Livers and Wagner) were out, it would make sense to call timeout and design a play that gets Dickinson the ball with 5-7 seconds on the block.

That said, watching the play back Juwan did get the switch he wanted with the basic screen there, so if all he wanted was Smith to get off a decent jumper that's what happened. I've seen worse (i.e. pure iso ball) in that situation, haha. Smith tried to pull an Austin Rivers, and just couldn't do it.
    Wellll I wouldn't say that. Yes they got the switch, but what ended up happening was Smith taking a stepback 3 with a 6'8" guy flying at him, instead of throwing it into the posting Dickinson who had Smith's guy (a smaller guard) on him. Dickinson would have had a much easier time scoring from the key against a guard than Smith had trying to hoist a 3 over the charging Liddell. It's the kind of thing you discuss in a timeout huddle . . .

Nice teams Duke fans should hate bracket (Michigan, Maryland, Alabama, Wes Miller and LSU - still salty about 2006).
    Last edited by Natty_B; 03-15-2021 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added Wes Miller he's hateable.

I think this is a pretty tough draw for Michigan, not as brutal as the on the the Illini have but still pretty bad with a lot of underseeded teams in the bracket.

You never know what LSU team will show up but they have the offense to beat UM if Michigan struggles down low. The Bonnies will present a tough challenge as well.

In the press availability after the OSU loss both Livers and Howard said it was a stress “fracture”, which obviously isn’t good news, but neither is definitively saying he’s done for the year. If I had to hazard a guess, I would think he might be able to make his way back for the final four but probably not before.

That said, I actually found Michigan’s loss to OSU as encouraging as a loss could be. Without Livers and even Wagner for the stretch run with foul trouble, Michigan still had a game winning chance. And Dickinson isn’t going to see as bad a matchup as OSU presents with Liddell able to take him outside. If it can be the Franz and Hunter show without Livers, I think Michigan is still the clear favorite. I think we’ll get a sense of that after the first weekend for sure.
    Hmm I think Texas would be neck to neck with Michigan without a healthy Livers. I think their guards can give Mike Smith and Eli Brooks fits and the Horns have the length and athleticism down low to give Dickinson some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Wellll I wouldn't say that. Yes they got the switch, but what ended up happening was Smith taking a stepback 3 with a 6'8" guy flying at him, instead of throwing it into the posting Dickinson who had Smith's guy (a smaller guard) on him. Dickinson would have had a much easier time scoring from the key against a guard than Smith had trying to hoist a 3 over the charging Liddell. It's the kind of thing you discuss in a timeout huddle . . .
    Oh 100% agreed... Smith taking the shot was by no means the best case scenario. I just think it’s not quiiiiite as horrendous as some are making it out to be... as I said, it wasn’t as if Smith just dribbled out the clock and jacked up a three with nothing happening at all.

Not defending Juwan, it was obviously a very poor coaching decision, and the timeout would’ve helped a ton. But also not the worst I’ve ever seen in that situation, which some overreactors on Michigan boards have said.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Hmm I think Texas would be neck to neck with Michigan without a healthy Livers. I think their guards can give Mike Smith and Eli Brooks fits and the Horns have the length and athleticism down low to give Dickinson some issues.
    All I know is that if the Big 10 fails to win a championship this year- they are never going to win it. They have not won it as a conference since 2000. That is crazy. In the last 19 tourneys - teams that were in the ACC at the time- have won it 8 times, in the Big East 7 times, in SEC 3 times and big 12 1 time. Of the Big East teams- 2 are now in the ACC. This is the Big 10's tourney to lose- and I bet they do.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    All I know is that if the Big 10 fails to win a championship this year- they are never going to win it. They have not won it as a conference since 2000. That is crazy. In the last 19 tourneys - teams that were in the ACC at the time- have won it 8 times, in the Big East 7 times, in SEC 3 times and big 12 1 time. Of the Big East teams- 2 are now in the ACC. This is the Big 10's tourney to lose- and I bet they do.
    They have a long and storied history of under achieving (or overseeding?) In the tournament.

https://sports.yahoo.com/maryland-me...3.html?src=rss

"For Maryland men’s basketball and 9-year-old recovering from heart transplant, one word says it all: ‘Fight’"

When a team has something like this in their minds, it always seems to help come tourney time. I don't think for one second that the Terps will get out of the regional. But getting them through a game? Sure.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Texas Southern the first team to advance.

(16) Texas Southern defeats (16) Mount St. Mary's 60-52. They will play (1) Michigan next.

Today's game was in Bloomington. For a moment I thought that Mike Davis (former head coach of Indiana) was still coaching Texas Southern and would be having a homecoming, but he took the Detroit Mercy job in 2018. Johnny Jones, formerly of LSU, coaches Texas Southern now.

Once again, I would like to register my occasional complaint about teams with automatic bids having to play in First Four games. They should be fixed in the bracket. Let the 8 worst at-large teams play their way in. (Repeating it this season, when Duke was looking at being one of the 8 worst at-large teams, should tell you that I mean it.)

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    (16) Texas Southern defeats (16) Mount St. Mary's 60-52. They will play (1) Michigan next.

Today's game was in Bloomington. For a moment I thought that Mike Davis (former head coach of Indiana) was still coaching Texas Southern and would be having a homecoming, but he took the Detroit Mercy job in 2018. Johnny Jones, formerly of LSU, coaches Texas Southern now.

Once again, I would like to register my occasional complaint about teams with automatic bids having to play in First Four games. They should be fixed in the bracket. Let the 8 worst at-large teams play their way in. (Repeating it this season, when Duke was looking at being one of the 8 worst at-large teams, should tell you that I mean it.)
    I completely agree. I'm on record here somewhere as saying the same. Auto bids should be in the Real Big Dance. At large - have 4, 8, 16 play ins. Whatever.

MSU players fighting eachother. Izzo fighting players. such a classy program /s
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    MSU players fighting eachother. Izzo fighting players. such a classy program /s
    I agree. Izzo showing his true colors. Getting in a (mutual) screaming match with a player, then grabbing his jersey while walking off the court at the half. I have no idea why everyone thinks he’s so great.