0 0%
  • Liberty

1 3.85%
  • Morehead State

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2021 NCAA Midwest Regional Thread (Illinois, Houston, WVU, OK St.)

Discuss and pick the regional winner here.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Discuss and pick the regional winner here.
    Yikes - what a tough draw for the Fighting Josh Pastners. I was secretly hoping GT would get an easier 8/9 matchup, but Loyola is IMO by far the best team on either line (and a borderline top 10-15 team actually). That game for me is my #1 "can't miss matchup" of the first round. And as if that matchup wasn't already draining enough for the winner, the Illini will be ready to put a serious physical beating on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Yikes - what a tough draw for the Fighting Josh Pastners. I was secretly hoping GT would get an easier 8/9 matchup, but Loyola is IMO by far the best team on either line (and a borderline top 10-15 team actually). That game for me is my #1 "can't miss matchup" of the first round. And as if that matchup wasn't already draining enough for the winner, the Illini will be ready to put a serious physical beating on them.
    Illinois is a better version of Tech. I expect Tech to advance to play them. Will be a good game.

First round schedule for Midwest Regional (all games Friday):

#1 Illinois vs #16 Drexel – 1:15 PM, TBS
    #8 Loyola Chicago vs #9 Georgia Tech – 4 PM, TBS
    #5 Tennessee vs #12 Oregon State – 4:30 PM, TNT
    #4 Oklahoma State vs #13 Liberty – 6:25 PM, TBS
    #2 Houston vs #15 Cleveland State – 7:15 PM, truTV
    #7 Clemson vs #10 Rutgers – 9:20 PM, TBS
    #6 San Diego State vs #11 Syracuse – 9:40 PM, CBS
    #3 West Virginia vs #14 Morehead State – 9:50 PM, truTV

I don't think Alvardo is going to be able to swing this alone without Wright.

Too bad too, I have *really* enjoyed watching this GT squad. The effort/heart/moxy these guys play with is must-see-TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I don't think Alvardo is going to be able to swing this alone without Wright.

Too bad too, I have *really* enjoyed watching this GT squad. The effort/heart/moxy these guys play with is must-see-TV.
    Agreed. I mentioned in the ACC thread, but losing your best player, your only inside presence, snd on top of that playing not very deep to begin with, that is a tough hill to climb. Without Wright, they were a 13 seed or so. Tough sledding.

But Tech has an opportunity to really profit from the pandemic year. On top of winning the ACCT, they could return a bunch of extra-year seniors. If so, they could be a force in the ACC.

Another 5/12 upset as Tennessee goes down to Oregon State. Really surprised by this. Wasn’t Oregon State the team that wasn’t even supposed to make the tournament until they won the PAC 12 tournament?

Is there a more predictable arc for a coach than Rick Barnes being near the top of the polls in December and then fading down the stretch?

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Is there a more predictable arc for a coach than Rick Barnes being near the top of the polls in December and then fading down the stretch?
    I had forgotten how highly ranked they were to start the year.

The way the Big 10 is falling, Illinois had better watch Loyola . Just sayin’.

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    The way the Big 10 is falling, Illinois had better watch Loyola . Just sayin’.
    Illinois is good. Very good.

Who thought San Diego St. deserved a 6 seed. That’s what I want to know. Scored 18 points in the first half. And Syracuse closes the half on an 18-0 run.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Who thought San Diego St. deserved a 6 seed. That’s what I want to know. Scored 18 points in the first half. And Syracuse closes the half on an 18-0 run.
    SD State without a single point in the last nine and a half minutes! They have not figured out the Syracuse zone at all.
    Syracuse shooters are all on fire, too. When they shoot h this well, they are tough to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    SD State without a single point in the last nine and a half minutes! They have not figured out the Syracuse zone at all.
    Syracuse shooters are all on fire, too. When they shoot h this well, they are tough to beat.
    i had cuse in the elite 8. overrated 6 and mega-overrated 3.
    1200. DDMF.

Bet it all. OSU guaranteed to make the Sweet 16.

Sunday's second round games in the Midwest Regional (all times Eastern):

(1) Illinois vs. (8) Loyola Chicago 12:10 p.m. CBS
    (3) West Virginia vs. (11) Syracuse 5:15 p.m. CBS
    (2) Houston vs. (10) Rutgers 7:10 p.m. TBS
    (4) Oklahoma State vs. (12) Oregon State 9:40 p.m. TBS

With eight minutes left to play, Loyola is up eight points on Illinois 50-42.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    With eight minutes left to play, Loyola is up eight points on Illinois 50-42.
    Loyola is pesky and play great together. Illinois will need some major luck to pull this out.

Loyola reminds me a lot of the Butler teams about 10 years ago.Very fundamental.

Krutwig is a friggin work horse. Holding his own against Cockburn - who was the most amazing big man I saw last weekend.