View Poll Results: Who will win the Midwest

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Illinois

    16 61.54%
  • Houston

    5 19.23%
  • West Virginia

    2 7.69%
  • Oklahoma State

    1 3.85%
  • Tennessee

    1 3.85%
  • San Diego State

    0 0%
  • Clemson

    0 0%
  • Loyola Chicago

    0 0%
  • Georgia Tech

    0 0%
  • Rutgers

    0 0%
  • Syracuse

    0 0%
  • Oregon State

    0 0%
  • Liberty

    1 3.85%
  • Morehead State

    0 0%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 132
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    2021 NCAA Midwest Regional Thread (Illinois, Houston, WVU, OK St.)

    Discuss and pick the regional winner here.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Discuss and pick the regional winner here.
    Yikes - what a tough draw for the Fighting Josh Pastners. I was secretly hoping GT would get an easier 8/9 matchup, but Loyola is IMO by far the best team on either line (and a borderline top 10-15 team actually). That game for me is my #1 "can't miss matchup" of the first round. And as if that matchup wasn't already draining enough for the winner, the Illini will be ready to put a serious physical beating on them.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Yikes - what a tough draw for the Fighting Josh Pastners. I was secretly hoping GT would get an easier 8/9 matchup, but Loyola is IMO by far the best team on either line (and a borderline top 10-15 team actually). That game for me is my #1 "can't miss matchup" of the first round. And as if that matchup wasn't already draining enough for the winner, the Illini will be ready to put a serious physical beating on them.
    Illinois is a better version of Tech. I expect Tech to advance to play them. Will be a good game.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    First round schedule for Midwest Regional (all games Friday):

    #1 Illinois vs #16 Drexel – 1:15 PM, TBS
    #8 Loyola Chicago vs #9 Georgia Tech – 4 PM, TBS
    #5 Tennessee vs #12 Oregon State – 4:30 PM, TNT
    #4 Oklahoma State vs #13 Liberty – 6:25 PM, TBS
    #2 Houston vs #15 Cleveland State – 7:15 PM, truTV
    #7 Clemson vs #10 Rutgers – 9:20 PM, TBS
    #6 San Diego State vs #11 Syracuse – 9:40 PM, CBS
    #3 West Virginia vs #14 Morehead State – 9:50 PM, truTV

  5. #5
    I don't think Alvardo is going to be able to swing this alone without Wright.

    Too bad too, I have *really* enjoyed watching this GT squad. The effort/heart/moxy these guys play with is must-see-TV.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I don't think Alvardo is going to be able to swing this alone without Wright.

    Too bad too, I have *really* enjoyed watching this GT squad. The effort/heart/moxy these guys play with is must-see-TV.
    Agreed. I mentioned in the ACC thread, but losing your best player, your only inside presence, snd on top of that playing not very deep to begin with, that is a tough hill to climb. Without Wright, they were a 13 seed or so. Tough sledding.

    But Tech has an opportunity to really profit from the pandemic year. On top of winning the ACCT, they could return a bunch of extra-year seniors. If so, they could be a force in the ACC.

  7. #7
    Another 5/12 upset as Tennessee goes down to Oregon State. Really surprised by this. Wasn’t Oregon State the team that wasn’t even supposed to make the tournament until they won the PAC 12 tournament?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Is there a more predictable arc for a coach than Rick Barnes being near the top of the polls in December and then fading down the stretch?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Is there a more predictable arc for a coach than Rick Barnes being near the top of the polls in December and then fading down the stretch?
    I had forgotten how highly ranked they were to start the year.

  10. #10
    The way the Big 10 is falling, Illinois had better watch Loyola . Just sayin’.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    The way the Big 10 is falling, Illinois had better watch Loyola . Just sayin’.
    Illinois is good. Very good.

  12. #12
    Who thought San Diego St. deserved a 6 seed. That’s what I want to know. Scored 18 points in the first half. And Syracuse closes the half on an 18-0 run.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Who thought San Diego St. deserved a 6 seed. That’s what I want to know. Scored 18 points in the first half. And Syracuse closes the half on an 18-0 run.
    SD State without a single point in the last nine and a half minutes! They have not figured out the Syracuse zone at all.
    Syracuse shooters are all on fire, too. When they shoot h this well, they are tough to beat.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    SD State without a single point in the last nine and a half minutes! They have not figured out the Syracuse zone at all.
    Syracuse shooters are all on fire, too. When they shoot h this well, they are tough to beat.
    i had cuse in the elite 8. overrated 6 and mega-overrated 3.
    basketball is back, baby!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Bet it all. OSU guaranteed to make the Sweet 16.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Sunday's second round games in the Midwest Regional (all times Eastern):

    (1) Illinois vs. (8) Loyola Chicago 12:10 p.m. CBS
    (3) West Virginia vs. (11) Syracuse 5:15 p.m. CBS
    (2) Houston vs. (10) Rutgers 7:10 p.m. TBS
    (4) Oklahoma State vs. (12) Oregon State 9:40 p.m. TBS

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    With eight minutes left to play, Loyola is up eight points on Illinois 50-42.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    With eight minutes left to play, Loyola is up eight points on Illinois 50-42.
    Loyola is pesky and play great together. Illinois will need some major luck to pull this out.

  19. #19
    Loyola reminds me a lot of the Butler teams about 10 years ago.Very fundamental.

  20. #20
    Krutwig is a friggin work horse. Holding his own against Cockburn - who was the most amazing big man I saw last weekend.

Similar Threads

  1. NCAA Midwest collector thread (Kansas #1 seed, Duke #2)
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 344
    Last Post: 03-23-2018, 09:41 PM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-19-2017, 02:50 PM
  3. MBB: NCAAT Midwest Regional Discussion Thread (Kentucky Wins)
    By pfrduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 570
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 04:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •