Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Whoa. I don’t agree at all. It was wrong for any coach, let alone the head coach, to lose his cool like that, but he was tossed and owned up to it. Suspension would be an overreaction.

As far as Maryland is concerned, I’m surprised they went running to the conference. This seems like something the coaches should have worked through directly.
    Threatening to kill someone is a crime and something that shouldn’t be taken lightly. We suspend our young students for doing the same thing at school, but a grown man can get away with saying this?

Maybe he should worry less about being "honest" and more about being a better end of game coach – that was a pretty weak final possession, took way too much time to get going.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Maybe he should worry less about being "honest" and more about being a better end of game coach – that was a pretty weak final possession, took way too much time to get going.
    Without getting into yesterday's news, Michigan looked completely clueless on that last possession.

-jk

There's been plenty of fawning attention showered on Juwan this season. The rubber will now hit the road. Let's see what he can handle when the klieg lights come on
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Ironic, because Turgeon is usually out of the box himself.
    Seems like a widely unenforced rule. They should enforce it or get rid of it. I'd prefer the former, the latter would be chaos. But to allow some flexibility, only have it enforced when both feet are outside the box. Allow one to be like a pivot foot. But don't let even one foot on the court at all during play.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    By all accounts, Juwan Howard is a good guy. He had that reputation in high school in Chicago, at Michigan and during his pro career.

It look like he made a significant mistake by losing it and making that threat. I suspect it is a learning experience for him. We all have those.
    Also worth remembering that Juwan is one of the teammates of Derek Smith who helped to mentor Nolan when he was growing up after his father's untimely death. Not a defense of what he did here, but definitely support for the idea that, over all, he is a good guy who made a bad mistake in the heat of the moment. It doesn't have to be all one way or all the other.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Threatening to kill someone is a crime and something that shouldn’t be taken lightly. We suspend our young students for doing the same thing at school, but a grown man can get away with saying this?
    Gee, a crime? There is a difference between saying something foolish in anger and really threatening to kill someone in a criminal sense. Granted, we should expect at least as much self-control from adults as we do from kids (who, I suspect, are often over-disciplined in any case when there might be more effective ways to help them learn to manage their behavior if only teachers had the necessary time and training), and Howard was clearly in the wrong. But invoking crime seems a little over the top to me.

Double whoa. Howard committed zero crimes. Where did you get that one?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    There's been plenty of fawning attention showered on Juwan this season. The rubber will now hit the road. Let's see what he can handle when the klieg lights come on
    This sounds about right to me. Games are not won arguing with/trying to fight other coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Double whoa. Howard committed zero crimes. Where did you get that one?
    If it’s true he threatened to kill someone then yes.

I hate to say it,,,

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    The cheats got 2 championships handed to them literally on that same court.SMH
    At least Deano was in control of his team. I recently saw a replay of the end of the Michigan-UNC game, and during a time out at the end all of the game all of the Holes are leaning over listening to Smith. The Michigan starters, on the other hand, are standing up and barely listening to Steve Fisher. I suppose that if the Fab Five had listened to their coach, then Rose (a guard) would not have in bounded to Webber (a forward) who clearly walked in the back court and then dribbled into the corner, got double teamed, and called a time out he didn't have.

Deano was one lucky man, except when the East West bus crashed into his car, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Without getting into yesterday's news, Michigan looked completely clueless on that last possession.
    Yeah, after Ohio State tried their best to give the game away, Michigan essentially said, "I don't want it either!"

Cue to the 2:00 to see some pretty wretched end game stuff by both teams
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedBlueDevil View Post
    Let's give Juwan a little credit - it fired up his team and they win going away in 2nd half...

Not that I'm a Michigan fan - Go Buckeyes!
    Agree. Trying to get team fired up , part of the game.
    Charging me ? ( no Maryland love ) , guy was a dozen feet away with a dozen
    people between them.
    Saw worse from my grandkids this weekend

Juwon clearly acted inappropriately. Let's let him be treated as an adult. Off with his head!

Seriously, he got what he deserved. But calling him honest about the situation? Puh-leeze! He was fibbing on-the-fly, lying, making stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, after Ohio State tried their best to give the game away, Michigan essentially said, "I don't want it either!"

Cue to the 2:00 to see some pretty wretched end game stuff by both teams
    Yeah Michigan played poorly on offense most of the game. Then late, with Livers already out and Wagner fouled out, Ohio State had a double digit lead that they tried hard to p*ss away, including missing a dunk and several ballhandling errors, giving Michigan a shot to win the game on the last possession. Here is where Juwan messed up. Dickinson, after not doing much most of the game, had been killing OSU in the last several minutes. Killing them (including a great steal in the backcourt and very athletic finish). How do you not call timeout and set up a play that involves Dickinson either getting it down low and taking his little over the shoulder turnaround, or else run screen roll with Mike Smith? Juwan just let em play, and they ended up with a jacked up stepback from Smith at the buzzer that never had a chance. I give Michigan credit for battling back into the game, albeit with plenty of help from OSU, and they did so without two key starters, but dang they shoulda had something better in the last possession.

But then again, even the best coach can let that kind of thing get away. Zion barely touched it late against MSU. Too soon?

PS - I still think Michigan will be a very tough out in the tournament. Very.

If it’s true he threatened to kill someone then yes.
    Sorry, still no. You watched the video? Nothing said in that kerfuffle was a crime.

By the way “the most honest coach in the NCAA” was completely full of bull spit when he said the last possession shot vs OSU yesterday — a highly contested step back 3 from Mike Smith, with Dickinson not touching the ball or even involved - was “exactly what [we] wanted.” For Michigan’s sake that better not be true.

All in all not a very good tournament for Juwan Howard. Next play and all, but he has some things to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    By the way “the most honest coach in the NCAA” was completely full of bull spit when he said the last possession shot vs OSU yesterday — a highly contested step back 3 from Mike Smith, with Dickinson not touching the ball or even involved - was “exactly what [we] wanted.” For Michigan’s sake that better not be true.

All in all not a very good tournament for Juwan Howard. Next play and all, but he has some things to learn.
    He may also have thought that Webber’s time out was exactly what they wanted