Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UVA Covid

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    This is last year's nightmare all over again. I suggested yesterday that UVA and FSU should seriously consider pulling out of the ACCT in order to preserve their eligibility for the NCAAT. Now it may be too late. As disappointing as it was for us, we also know that our chances of making the tournament were slim and our chances of advancing anywhere in the tournament even slimmer. UVA actually has something to play for.
    Pulling out of the tourney wouldn't help Virginia. Given incubation periods and the timing of our arrival to G'boro (Tue) and the positive test (Thur), it's most likely the player in question acquired the virus in Charlottesville.... maybe even in Louisville last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Dear ElliottHoo, Really sorry to hear about your team. You no doubt feel as gutted as we did and do, although maybe it helps that you might be able to play in the NCAAs. We appreciated your condolences to us.

It's probably insensitive of me to mention this -- too early -- but a small silver lining for me is that my dear wife will have fewer opportunities to shamelessly drool over your coach.

Seriously, I and many others here hope that you guys can play in the NCAAT and that you repeat. Good luck!
    Thank you, I appreciate that. And you guys have my sympathies as well, especially since your guys *finally* seemed to be really showing what they could do. Its been a rough year.

Hah. Yeah, you'd be *shocked* at how many wives and such who previously had no interest in sports gradually become big Men's Basketball fans over the last several years. Similarly, I've been watching action movies for years (with my wife having no interest) while I dutifully went to her rom-coms and period pieces. Then a few years ago, she suddenly got interested in seeing some with me. All the Thor movies, the new Ghostbusters one (which was terrible), Men in Black: International (also bad)... after a while there was an obvious pattern. But, hey, win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Pulling out of the tourney wouldn't help Virginia. Given incubation periods and the timing of our arrival to G'boro (Tue) and the positive test (Thur), it's most likely the player in question acquired the virus in Charlottesville... maybe even in Louisville last weekend.
    I agree, but UVA pulling out of the tourney may have helped Syracuse - who has to be sweating things a bit right now. What happens if someone who played in the Big 10 or Big 12 championship game tests positive? That could potentially put multiple top teams in jeopardy for the NCAAs. A positive test by UNC on Sunday could also put FSU, Ga Tech, and Va Tech at risk. Of course, the best way to mitigate this is for FSU to win tonight.
    Last edited by House P; 03-12-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottHoo View Post
    Turns out it was a player who played against Syracuse. The game that ended in a post-buzzer beater dog-pile. We might be toast after all (and not great for Cuse. Sorry, Orange), though there's not-entirely-serious talk of a squad comprised entirely of walk-ons and players too injured to suit up for that game.
    When I heard about UVA dropping out, I immediately thought about that dog pile.

I hope UVA can play, and play with a full team. I've always respected Bennett, and I like the strategies he employs (though I hate playing against them). His players seem to be stand up guys as well. They should have the right to defend their title. But if they came out with a team of end-of-rotation players, walk-ons, etc., I'd root really hard for them. They might even have a chance in the first (ugh, second) round. That would make great TV.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Some coaches, such as Pitino suggested delaying the entire season. Start it now, play the tournament in May. With vaccines rolling out pretty well that suggestion may look pretty good in a few weeks. So Georgia Tech has a good chance to win the ACC tournament without ever playing a game. Still crazy times.
    Kinda like Florida state last year.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I agree, but UVA pulling out of the tourney may have helped Syracuse - who has to be sweating things a bit right now. What happens if someone who played in the Big 10 or Big 12 championship game tests positive? That could potentially put multiple top teams in jeopardy for the NCAAs. A positive test by UNC on Sunday could also put FSU, Ga Tech, and Va Tech at risk. Of course, the best way to mitigate this is for FSU to win tonight.
    So you are saying for sake of the league- UNC needs to go home now.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottHoo View Post
    Hah. Yeah, you'd be *shocked* at how many wives and such who previously had no interest in sports gradually become big Men's Basketball fans over the last several years. Similarly, I've been watching action movies for years (with my wife having no interest) while I dutifully went to her rom-coms and period pieces. Then a few years ago, she suddenly got interested in seeing some with me. All the Thor movies, the new Ghostbusters one (which was terrible), Men in Black: International (also bad)... after a while there was an obvious pattern. But, hey, win/win.
    Okay, I can kinda see the Jay Wright/George Clooney thing, but Tony Bennett/Chris Hemsworth?

If I had to cast a coach as Thor, it would be the NFL's Rob Ryan as Fat Thor.

coachthor.jpg

(I guess this means that Loki now has a foot fetish.)

Sorry...maybe

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Okay, I can kinda see the Jay Wright/George Clooney thing, but Tony Bennett/Chris Hemsworth?

coachthor.jpg

ElliottHoo, perhaps I should have warned you -- this is what can happen when you participate in DBR. I remind myself continuously that no animals are being harmed.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

coachthor.jpg

Hah!

I didn't mean to imply a linkage, other than a sudden interest in things that just *happened* to include very attractive men. Bennett on the one hand and Hemsworth on the other.