Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UVA Covid

UVA Covid

https://twitter.com/Wahoos247/status/1370380061212348420

UVA out.

Wow. You guys are fast. Yeah, unfortunate news just in the last few minutes.

Apparently they need 7 consecutive negative tests to enter the bubble for the NCAAs, and you need a healthy 5-man roster. So maybe UVA will go to NCAAs and maybe we won't.

That just sucks.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

This is awful. It begs the question why have these tournaments, but more than half-a-billion dollars in revenue probably answers that.

And I wanted a team to cheer for!

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottHoo View Post

Apparently they need 7 consecutive negative tests to enter the bubble for the NCAAs, and you need a healthy 5-man roster. So maybe UVA will go to NCAAs and maybe we won't.
    On the edge of viable

I am seeing a strong correlation between teams we would pull for and teams knocked out of the tournament for COVID.

Assuming that we have been gifted with this peculiar power, whom should we pull for/knock out next?

I wish the NCAA would take a 10 day Covid pause starting now. Just call off conference tournaments and seed the tournament and let teams get in a bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I wish the NCAA would take a 10 day Covid pause starting now. Just call off conference tournaments and seed the tournament and let teams get in a bubble.
    It never made sense not to

A) Have some down time between the end of the season and the conference tournaments

B) Have some down time between the conference tournaments and the NCAA tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I am seeing a strong correlation between teams we would pull for and teams knocked out of the tournament for COVID.

Assuming that we have been gifted with this peculiar power, whom should we pull for/knock out next?
    Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

A) Have some down time between the end of the season and the conference tournaments

B) Have some down time between the conference tournaments and the NCAA tournaments
    Yep. I am annoyed.

Or:

C) start the season in the Spring, play conference-only, and have the tourney in May.

Hate this

Wow. I was hoping and praying no other teams would be hit.

Gee, do you think there will be a ton of social media about Tony B being afraid to play GT?

The sad thing is people actually believe that nonsense. ESPN doesn't help. They featured Duke yesterday in a segment on what a difficult season it has been. They didn't lie but they didn't tell the whole truth. Like Coach K saying that he questioned whether the teams should be playing and the Nate Oats comment but no follow-through about Nate being informed that Coach K said the same thing last summer and called to apologize.

We is fairly encompassing.

I just thought this same thing (my mother and sister went to UVA, so they are my second team).

As much as I hate UNC, I cannot in good conscience hope for anyone to catch Covid.
    Tent 1 Three-peat (2012-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Or:

C) start the season in the Spring, play conference-only, and have the tourney in May.
    Once Rick Pitino, coach of Iona, suggested "May Madness" back at the beginning of the season, it was dead. I am mostly serious.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

My understanding is that players must have 7 consecutive days of negative COVID tests prior to arriving in Indy for the tournament. If this case and UVA plans to arrive in Indy on Thursday, does this UVA could field a team made up of players who tested negative today through next Thursday?

In other words, if player #1 tested positive today and players #2-13 tested negative, UVA could still play on Friday with players 2-13 as long as they continue to test negative?

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Wow. I was hoping and praying no other teams would be hit.

Gee, do you think there will be a ton of social media about Tony B being afraid to play GT?

The sad thing is people actually believe that nonsense. ESPN doesn't help. They featured Duke yesterday in a segment on what a difficult season it has been. They didn't lie but they didn't tell the whole truth. Like Coach K saying that he questioned whether the teams should be playing and the Nate Oats comment but no follow-through about Nate being informed that Coach K said the same thing last summer and called to apologize.
    Well, people also believe in the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot, faking the moon landing, etc. etc. etc.

"People" are dumb. And the dumbest are usually the loudest.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Some coaches, such as Pitino suggested delaying the entire season. Start it now, play the tournament in May. With vaccines rolling out pretty well that suggestion may look pretty good in a few weeks. So Georgia Tech has a good chance to win the ACC tournament without ever playing a game. Still crazy times.

I really hate going to ESPN to pull up the basketball score page and seeing "Uncontested". Uncontested is the new version of cancelled, I guess.