Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I don't know. What do you think about Duke University Blue Devils Presented by Bojangles?
    I'm sold

And the world moves towards the one described by David Foster Wallace in Infinite Jest ...e.g. Year of the Whopper, Year of the Tucks Medicated Pad, Year of the Perdue Wonderchicken...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Maryland Terrapins presented by Johnny Rockets?
    UNC Tar Heels presented by Reading is Fundamental?
    Wouldn't that be unc tAR hEELS presented by Cliff Notes?

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    if it was named for Mel Brooks!!

Sorry, I received a shot for Covid yesterday and have been in a funk since.

That or too much ...something else!!!
    LOL. Love Mel Brooks.

I do think that if the field was named for Brooks Brothers it would be very on brand for Duke (says an alum who wears Brooks Brothers clothes half the time).

Just sitting out there

Duke's Mayonnaise!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Dan Brooks is the current women's golf coach at Duke and has coached Duke to 7 NCAA championships since coming to Durham when I was a soph or junior. Dan's a good friend and great coach/motivator. He certainly didn't pay for this honor, he earned it. He's coached many All-Americans and had maybe 2 or 3 NPOY!!

Here's his bio:
    https://goduke.com/staff-directory/dan-brooks/276

Another great hire by Tom Butters, for sure!!!
    Duke positive test and my ignorance, so very sorry!!
    Meh. Your version would have been way better, and even though it's not the case, you still got to share info with those of us who didn't know.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

To be fair to MSU, this is new to college basketball but not necessarily new to sports. Still looks really dumb though, just like it does elsewhere. I don't think the comparison to field/stadium naming rights really fits.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Just sitting out there

Duke's Mayonnaise!
    At least you didn't suggest Duke (the dog) from Bush's Baked Beans. Hate to see Cameron turned into the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles.

Just sitting out there

Duke's Mayonnaise!
    Never let mayonnaise sit out for too long.

I'm clearly in the minority but...

...as someone who grew up watching a lot of Premier League, Eredivisie, and La Liga (where everything is sponsored), I like this. It's a really, really easy way to get additional income, and I doubt fans aren't going to support the team because of this.

Also, it further emphasis that college ball just isn't an amateur sport anymore, which I've agreed with for a while.

Next step, which will probably get a few fans to jump off a cliff: sponsorships on the jerseys.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Just sitting out there

Duke's Mayonnaise!
    Duke's Commodities Brokerage

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ...as someone who grew up watching a lot of Premier League, Eredivisie, and La Liga (where everything is sponsored), I like this. It's a really, really easy way to get additional income, and I doubt fans aren't going to support the team because of this.

Also, it further emphasis that college ball just isn't an amateur sport anymore, which I've agreed with for a while.

Next step, which will probably get a few fans to jump off a cliff: sponsorships on the jerseys.
    NASCAR was ahead of it's time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    New post game basketball interviews.

"So Coach Izzo, your defense looked great today and helped your team be dominant in the victory, what can you tell us about your game plan?"

"Thanks, and first off I'd like to thank Rocket Mortgage for even making this possible."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    New post game basketball interviews.

"So Coach Izzo, your defense looked great today and helped your team be dominant in the victory, what can you tell us about your game plan?"

"Thanks, and first off I'd like to thank Rocket Mortgage for even making this possible."
    Izzo channeling his inner DeChambeau . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Like, say, Nike? Or adidas? {ducks & runs}
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I guess if you’re going to have someone pay for your building it might as well be a mortgage company.
    Well, at least you know that they will never repossess the arena.

On the other hand, the MSU Spartans presented by Rocket Mortgage makes the university and the company sound ridiculous. It would sound better to have the announcer say, Welcome to Rocket Mortgage Indoor Stadium for tonight’s game between the Michigan Fab Fivers and the Michigan State Barbarians.

if you ever plan to or have been to a NASCAR race go early and watch the driver introductions. There is an official standing near the drivers with a whole stack of hats, one for each sponsor. The driver has to put on each of the hats and have a picture taken.

So can you imagine Coach K or Tom Izzo at the end of a game in a press conference having to put on a new hat every 20-30 seconds for each sponsor....

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Attachment 12691

Explain to me how we aren’t paying college athletes again.
    Yeah, once you get past the humor in this, it gets disgusting again. Imagine if the players now need to wear a logo on their jerseys like the NBA. Even guys walking around wearing sandwich boards saying "Eat at Joes" get cash in their pocket. "Oh, but they have their scholarships!" Ridiculous. Give the moneymakers a cut of the ever-growing pie.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I bet Rocket Watts is looking forward to playing in Rocket Mortgage Arena
    If Rocket really was his name, he should sue for misapproriation of his name. Sadly, apparently it is only a nickname and his real name is Mark. He played more like Mark than Rocket this year.

But back to the real point: this exposes the hypocrisy of college sports (not that it wasn't already apparent).

The eventual challenge for hoops and soccer may be to extend the uniforms to long sleeves and long pants to accommodate more sponsor advertising...NASCAR definitely maxes this out, so many square feet of billboard space on each driver.