Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Sponsorship taken to a new level

Michigan State entered new territory on Thursday by announcing a massive expansion in its endorsement deal with Rocket Mortgage, including a name change for its men's basketball team on campus.

Yes, rather than call them the Michigan State Spartans, the team will now receive the following treatment in East Lansing's Breslin Center:

Under the new five-year deal, Detroit-based Rocket Mortgage will be the presenting sponsor of the famed men's basketball team which will now be known throughout the Breslin Center as, "MSU Spartans Presented by Rocket Mortgage."
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

And...please don't let this ever happen at Duke.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/michiga...223057968.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

I honestly thought that was excerpted from an Onion article.

not while K is involved, anyway.

But is it all that better than "whatever field at wallace wade stadium?" I honestly don't remember the name.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

But is it all that better than "whatever field at wallace wade stadium?" I honestly don't remember the name.
    I don't know. What do you think about Duke University Blue Devils Presented by Bojangles?

It’s real?!! Just ridiculous.

Wait... I really, really thought this was a joke. I checked the calendar to make sure it’s not April 1 today.

That is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I don't know. What do you think about Duke University Blue Devils Presented by Bojangles?
    I'm sold

And the world moves towards the one described by David Foster Wallace in Infinite Jest ...e.g. Year of the Whopper, Year of the Tucks Medicated Pad, Year of the Perdue Wonderchicken...

Just sitting out there

Duke's Mayonnaise!

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Just sitting out there

Duke's Mayonnaise!
    At least you didn't suggest Duke (the dog) from Bush's Baked Beans. Hate to see Cameron turned into the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles.

I'm clearly in the minority but...

...as someone who grew up watching a lot of Premier League, Eredivisie, and La Liga (where everything is sponsored), I like this. It's a really, really easy way to get additional income, and I doubt fans aren't going to support the team because of this.

Also, it further emphasis that college ball just isn't an amateur sport anymore, which I've agreed with for a while.

Next step, which will probably get a few fans to jump off a cliff: sponsorships on the jerseys.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ...as someone who grew up watching a lot of Premier League, Eredivisie, and La Liga (where everything is sponsored), I like this. It's a really, really easy way to get additional income, and I doubt fans aren't going to support the team because of this.

Also, it further emphasis that college ball just isn't an amateur sport anymore, which I've agreed with for a while.

Next step, which will probably get a few fans to jump off a cliff: sponsorships on the jerseys.
    NASCAR was ahead of it's time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    New post game basketball interviews.

"So Coach Izzo, your defense looked great today and helped your team be dominant in the victory, what can you tell us about your game plan?"

"Thanks, and first off I'd like to thank Rocket Mortgage for even making this possible."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New post game basketball interviews.

"So Coach Izzo, your defense looked great today and helped your team be dominant in the victory, what can you tell us about your game plan?"

"Thanks, and first off I'd like to thank Rocket Mortgage for even making this possible."
    Izzo channeling his inner DeChambeau . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

if you ever plan to or have been to a NASCAR race go early and watch the driver introductions. There is an official standing near the drivers with a whole stack of hats, one for each sponsor. The driver has to put on each of the hats and have a picture taken.

So can you imagine Coach K or Tom Izzo at the end of a game in a press conference having to put on a new hat every 20-30 seconds for each sponsor....

The eventual challenge for hoops and soccer may be to extend the uniforms to long sleeves and long pants to accommodate more sponsor advertising...NASCAR definitely maxes this out, so many square feet of billboard space on each driver.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

Like, say, Nike? Or adidas? {ducks & runs}
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Just sitting out there

Duke's Mayonnaise!
    Never let mayonnaise sit out for too long.

Just sitting out there

Duke's Mayonnaise!
    Duke's Commodities Brokerage

Dan Brooks Field at Wallace Wade

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

But is it all that better than "whatever field at Wallace Wade stadium?" I honestly don't remember the name.
    Dan Brooks is the current women's golf coach at Duke and has coached Duke to 7 NCAA championships since coming to Durham when I was a soph or junior. Dan's a good friend and great coach/motivator. He certainly didn't pay for this honor, he earned it. He's coached many All-Americans and had maybe 2 or 3 NPOY!!

Here's his bio:
    https://goduke.com/staff-directory/dan-brooks/276

Another great hire by Tom Butters, for sure!!!
    Last edited by duketaylor; 03-11-2021 at 09:31 PM. Reason: forgot to put "Stadium" at end of WW, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Dan Brooks is the current women's golf coach at Duke and has coached Duke to 7 NCAA championships since coming to Durham when I was a soph or junior. Dan's a good friend and great coach/motivator. He certainly didn't pay for this honor, he earned it. He's coached many All-Americans and had maybe 2 or 3 NPOY!!

Here's his bio:
    https://goduke.com/staff-directory/dan-brooks/276

Another great hire by Tom Butters, for sure!!!
    It isn't named after Dan Brooks. It is named after Steve Brooks, a rich alum. I don't necessarily have an issue with this but wanted to get the facts straight.

https://today.duke.edu/2015/07/brooks