Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm guessing most of you would reject an invitation from me to the uconn bandwagon? and instead get the cans of gasoline and boxes of matches for said wagon?
    Tonight, most of us are on the Hokie bandwagon. I will keep you posted as to my next team du jour, should it regrettably become necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'd prefer a developmental player or two rather than a grad-transfer. Be nice to have some upperclassmen in 2024 and 2025.
    Agreed, for more than one reason. I know we need a guard badly, but I'd rather us be a reputable program that develops guys like Goldwire out of oblivion than a program like Louisville that doesn't even try and subsists off poaching the grad transfer market.

I'd add

Most likely case: Hurt goes, Williams stays. Goldwire and Tapé depart. We don't get Keels or Baldwin but Coach K pulls in a grad-transfer or a developmental guard for depth.

Lineup of Williams, Banchero, Griffin, Steward, Roach is one of the best in the country. Wendell Moore is a candidate for 6th-man of the year. DBR spends the entire season lamenting that we don't have a "true" PG and that Coach K doesn't recruit enough shooters anymore. After every single loss, half of DBR says how much they hate OAD. We get a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAA tournament. Nike prints up a boatload of "Order is Restored... Again" tee-shirts that may or may not end up getting sold.
    Many of us complain that K isn't playing a deep enough rotation and our players' legs will be gone by March.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Agreed, for more than one reason. I know we need a guard badly, but I'd rather us be a reputable program that develops guys like Goldwire out of oblivion than a program like Louisville that doesn't even try and subsists off poaching the grad transfer market.
    The transfer market isn't just the grad transfer market. The expectation is that there will be a one-time free transfer with immediate eligibility. Thus, we can look for guys -- and they'll be out there -- who can help us next year and the year after (and maybe even after that ...)

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I agree that Williams is the big question. With him, the team has an entire other gear. We can go small and spread with Griffin at the PF and Banchero at C, or we can pair Banchero and Williams with a monstrous frontcourt. Losing Williams (which is a possibility, but hopefully won't happen from my selfish perspective) would take away our best interior defender and one of our "cheat code" type players.

Sounds like we have at least pursued Charles Bediako, and if we did lose Williams I'd think we'd push harder for him (even though we seem to be trailing in his recruitment). Bediako wouldn't be a full replacement for Williams, but it would help a little.

I would love for Goldwire to return too and be a key defensive minded reserve next year. We'll see.
    I suggested Bediako as insurance if Williams gets injured and for some PT against the big teams such as FSU and UNC Bedaiko might be a solid player as I assume Williams may only stay one more year and Bedaiko might be more of a multi-year player.

With a team that included Williams, Banchero, Griffin and Keels we would probably not miss having a playmaking guard all that much as Steward, Roach and Moore are expected to show some development.

I have no Knowledge of who will not be back but assume Hurt, Tapé and Goldwire will not return I wouldn't expect any of the others to transfer.

Last edited by -jk; 03-11-2021 at 06:40 PM. Reason: If your keyboard doesn't have an easy é, add an apostrophe(') after Tape for DBR to autocorrect to Tapé

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    I-L-L!

Illinois native and 1998 U of I College of Law Grad, here. I'll be joining you on the bandwagon. Andre Curbelo is my favorite non-Duke player in CBB. He's a blast to watch.
    Both my grandmother (known as “Ima” in these parts) and grandfather on my mom’s side are U of I grads. And they’re the reason I’m a Duke fan in the first place, really. (And Illinois, as we all know now, was cheated in 2005.) So—go Illini!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    Duke got toasted earlier this season by a traditional transfer who left Stanford for Notre Dame.

Like it or not, this seems to be the new normal and there are legitimate student-athletes in the transfer portal
    who would be receptive to a Duke offer.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 03-11-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    I'm up for a pie bet if you think that Roach's assist to turnover ratio next year could realistically approach 5.6:1. I'd be surprised if he ever achieved that over a large sample even in high school. It's not the kind of guard he is.
    Agreed. I could see Roach's assist/game doubling, although that in itself is a big ask, but really only if JGold leaves. If Roach has the ball in his hands enough to double his assist average, i would expect his turnovers/game to stay the same, at best. If Jeremy finishes next season with an a/t better than 2:1, then that in itself would be a big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I suggested Bediako as insurance if Williams gets injured and for some PT against the big teams such as FSU and UNC Bedaiko might be a solid player as I assume Williams may only stay one more year and Bedaiko might be more of a multi-year player.

With a team that included Williams, Banchero, Griffin and Keels we would probably not miss having a playmaking guard all that much as Steward, Roach and Moore are expected to show some development.

I have no Knowledge of who will not be back but assume Hurt, Tapé and Goldwire will not return I wouldn't expect any of the others to transfer.

Last edited by -jk; Today at 06:40 PM. Reason: If your keyboard doesn't have an easy é, add an apostrophe(') after Tape for DBR to autocorrect to Tapé
    Do you have an editing function that converts boldface to plain?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Do you have an editing function that converts boldface to plain?
    The member in question has trouble seeing, and emboldens to see better.

People can use <ctrl><+> or enlarge all websites. Or try the mobile skin on a regular computer - it makes DBR bigger.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke got toasted earlier this season by a traditional transfer who left Stanford for Notre Dame.

Like it or not, this seems to be the new normal and there are legitimate student-athletes in the transfer portal
    And the All-ACC first team had a traditional transfer who left Marquette for Virginia.

I'm stunned Hurt would have plans to leave.He lead us in scoring for a month on a very below average Duke team.A G League coach i can see shaking his head that Hurt left school early.

And also realize either Roach or Steward could transfer if either is unhappy. This will be a crazy offseason.

After every single loss, half of DBR says how much they hate OAD.
    Okay, so is that an indication that the silent (in those instances) half of DBR loves OAD? Are the DBR denizens who dislike OAD wrong to feel that way while those who like OAD are correct to feel thusly?

Who is right and who is wrong? And if the issue is completely subjective it seems pointless to bring it up. I’m not saying that to you; I just mean it as a general comment. It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it either way. We’ll just have to see how Brad approaches it when he takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    And also realize either Roach or Steward could transfer if either is unhappy. This will be a crazy offseason.
    Sure. Anyone COULD transfer if unhappy. But do we have any reason to believe that to be the case with two rising sophomores who got major minutes as freshmen and project to get more as sophomores? I sure don't.

We're talking about a scenario in which Duke misses on Keels and Goldwire elects to not return for that extra season, leaving Duke with two true guards. Not sure why adding a third would threaten either Steward or Roach. Unless they expect to play 40 mpg.

If I was (were?) an NBA GM I would be higher on Williams than Hurt. The NBA is so athletic now its hard for average athletes like Hurt to compete. And neither player is going to contribute significantly for 3 or 4 years so it’s all about potential. 7’ers with a 7’4” wingspan, soft hands and the athleticism to defend modern NBA forwards aren't that easy to find. I just think Williams has a higher ceiling. But maybe Im wrong - if Hurt can learn to defend in the league he could become the next Larry Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    If I was (were?) an NBA GM I would be higher on Williams than Hurt. The NBA is so athletic now its hard for average athletes like Hurt to compete. And neither player is going to contribute significantly for 3 or 4 years so it’s all about potential. 7’ers with a 7’4” wingspan, soft hands and the athleticism to defend modern NBA forwards aren't that easy to find. I just think Williams has a higher ceiling. But maybe Im wrong - if Hurt can learn to defend in the league he could become the next Larry Bird.
    Im going to ignore that last sentence because the chances of Matt Hurt becoming “the next” greatest 15 or 20 players of all time is pretty much zero. Bird was so much more than a shooter.

But the thing about Hurt is that he’s actually not a guy you have to give some years to in order to see if he develops. You already know exactly what he is. A long stretch 4 with a deadly shooting stroke, who is subpar at pretty much everything else. That’s what youre getting out of him this year, next year, and any other year. Sure he could put on some more weight and maybe become a little more effective inside, but that’s never going to be his game. He is what he is and as a GM either you think that’s good enough to stick in the league and help you, or you don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    If Hurt can learn to defend in the league he could become the next Larry Bird.
    I know you may well have been kidding, but did you actually watch Larry Bird play when he was at his peak? The guy would absolutely DOMINATE his opponents. Bird was a 6’ 10” space alien with otherworldly shooting ability from anywhere on the court even though he had defenders draped all over him at all times. Yet as great of a shooter as he was his court awareness, vision, and passing ability was even better. No player has ever been one of the greatest of all time at both of those things.

In addition to those remarkable talents he was a very good rebounder, the best free throw shooter in the league, was often among the league leaders in steals, was a savvy and capable defender (I believe he made All-NBA second team defense a couple of times), was one of the toughest guys you’ll ever find, lived for the moments when the pressure was greatest (and came through again and again), and had leadership qualities in spades.

I’m not sure Hurt can do a single thing at the level of Larry Bird. And that’s not a knock on Matthew; it just is what it is.

Sure. Anyone COULD transfer if unhappy. But do we have any reason to believe that to be the case with two rising sophomores who got major minutes as freshmen and project to get more as sophomores? I sure don't.

We're talking about a scenario in which Duke misses on Keels and Goldwire elects to not return for that extra season, leaving Duke with two true guards. Not sure why adding a third would threaten either Steward or Roach. Unless they expect to play 40 mpg.
    I certainly don’t expect either to transfer, but never saw the Derrick Thornton transfer coming either. Also, if a transfer comes from another school due to lack of playing time, will he really help??

Anyway, I’ll be surprised if anyone today can accurately predict next years roster and expect offseason to wild throughout college b-ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I know you may well have been kidding, but did you actually watch Larry Bird play when he was at his peak? The guy would absolutely DOMINATE his opponents. Bird was a 6’ 10” space alien with otherworldly shooting ability from anywhere on the court even though he had defenders draped all over him at all times. Yet as great of a shooter as he was his court awareness, vision, and passing ability was even better. No player has ever been one of the greatest of all time at both of those things.

In addition to those remarkable talents he was a very good rebounder, the best free throw shooter in the league, was often among the league leaders in steals, was a savvy and capable defender (I believe he made All-NBA second team defense a couple of times), was one of the toughest guys you’ll ever find, lived for the moments when the pressure was greatest (and came through again and again), and had leadership qualities in spades.

I’m not sure Hurt can do a single thing at the level of Larry Bird. And that’s not a knock on Matthew; it just is what it is.
    Bird was uber competitive - he played his best when the pressure was on. You either have that trait or you don’t and it is pretty rare. Tatum seems to have it. I have not seen that in Hurt.