Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When life was much simpler,, all ACC games were on local TV., and teachers were more interested in the games than her 5th grade class ( see how I kept the teachers non political lol ) Thursday 12 noon. 4 vs 5 . Maryland sucks
    In rolled the original “ virtual leaning “ on the cart . Tv

Last night I could watch Duke lacrosse on Comcast but not Duke basketball. If they want me to care, they’ll make it so I can watch it easily. Otherwise to hell with the ACC greedbots.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Last night I could watch Duke lacrosse on Comcast but not Duke basketball. If they want me to care, they’ll make it so I can watch it easily. Otherwise to hell with the ACC greedbots.
    I'm still not sure why you think the issue is ACC greed vs. Comcast greed?

Watching the "above the rim" cameras for UVA Syracuse. It's a great solution for the many here who can't stand announcers.

We're in a similar position with the regional Fox Sportses. Sinclair is at war with the cable and streaming providers, and now your only streaming option for Fox Midwest is AT&T ($90/month). So it's either that or get cable, just to get one channel. I signed up for YTTV solely to get that channel, before they yanked it, and I have all this sunk cost (DVR stuff, things I can't get on AT&T, everything is so maddeningly fragmented now) with both Dish and YTTV.

So unless a national outlet picks them up, I haven't seen a single regular season Blues or Cardinals game since August 2019, because I'm not willing to pay thrice for television instead of "just" twice. And then you have Disney+ and Netflix, and Criterion because Netflix has gotten so terrible for films older than five minutes. I hate the whole mess. And, a bunch of these Blues/Cardinals games are on ESPN+, but of course they're blacked out in the one market where more than sixteen people would want to see them.

I cannot understand for the life of me why the leagues are so hellbent on working with TV providers to make sure that their own existing fans can't see the games. And then what for the future? They're cutting their own throats. My kid, 11, has already graduated into giving zero craps about watching sports, at all. Almost every pro league but MMA has seen its median viewer age rise by nearly 20y in the last 20y. Some hilights on YouTube and some instagram follows for Zion are not going to keep the money flowing forever, because you're hardly going to have any fans left by the time GenX is elderly and Boom mostly ancestral. Millennials are less into sports viewership, and nobody's even bothering to sign Z up in the first place. It's a time bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm still not sure why you think the issue is ACC greed vs. Comcast greed?
    I could be wrong, but thought the ACC had a prior deal with ESPN that allowed for nationwide exposure for basketball. And not sure that football is more widely-accessible than before either with ESPN’s streaming of our games.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I could be wrong, but thought the ACC had a prior deal with ESPN that allowed for nationwide exposure for basketball. And not sure that football is more widely-accessible than before either with ESPN’s streaming of our games.
    The ACC without the ACCN dissolves within a decade (probably half that or less). Literally every other P5 conference had a network (being the last mover on this was a massive failure of ACC leadership) and the $$ that comes with it. I realize that since I said money, it might be easy to say "look, greed!" but the conference does not survive without the ACCN (not being put out of business by competitors isn't really greed, it's just business as usual).

Edit: In other words, the choice isn't between "Have the ACCN" or "Don't have the ACCN", it is "Have the ACCN" or "Don't have the ACC at all anymore".

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The ACC without the ACCN dissolves within a decade (probably half that or less). Literally every other P5 conference had a network (being the last mover on this was a massive failure of ACC leadership) and the $$ that comes with it. I realize that since I said money, it might be easy to say "look, greed!" but the conference does not survive without the ACCN (not being put out of business by competitors isn't really greed, it's just business as usual).

Edit: In other words, the choice isn't between "Have the ACCN" or "Don't have the ACCN", it is "Have the ACCN" or "Don't have the ACC at all anymore".
    Which is all the more reason for them to get the conference network available through more providers, not fewer.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Which is all the more reason for them to get the conference network available through more providers, not fewer.
    I'm pretty sure the issue isn't that the ACC doesn't want to be broadcast by Comcast. It seems pretty obvious that Comcast is trying to low-ball ESPN on this (and I feel comfortable saying this because ESPN agreed to terms with basically every other carrier which suggests to me that the price they're asking for isn't some outlandish/unreasonable sum). Of course, the pandemic strengthened Comcast's position (because there is less content available now than there should/would have been). I have to suspect that if not for COVID this would have been resolved already.