Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC - ACC Tournament

Will include new posts the morning of each day of the tournament to cover that day's matchups. Tuesday's will follow in a separate post, but first the standings based on scoring margin normalized for pace:

Florida State: +13.9
    Virginia: +11.1
    Georgia Tech: +6.6
    Virginia Tech: +6.1
    North Carolina: +6.1
    Duke: +4.2
    Syracuse: +2.9
    Notre Dame: +0.1
    Louisville: -0.3
    NC State: -1.6
    Pittsburgh: -1.6
    Clemson: -1.8
    Boston College: -12.0
    Miami: -13.6
    Wake Forest: -16.7
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Tuesday's matchups below:

[82]Pittsburgh (-6) vs. [142]Miami (2:00, ACCN)
    [41]Duke (-10) vs. [134]Boston College (4:30, ACCN)
    [68]Notre Dame (-9) vs. [170]Wake Forest (7:00, ACCN)
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Ah, that most hallowed of Piedmont traditions, triple play-in tournament Tuesday. TPTT we useta call it when I was a boy. Get you some Stamey's and reminisce about TPTTs of yore.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Ah, that most hallowed of Piedmont traditions, triple play-in tournament Tuesday. TPTT we useta call it when I was a boy. Get you some Stamey's and reminisce about TPTTs of yore.
    In terms of tradition, is that kinda like the Les Robinson Invitational?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    In terms of tradition, is that kinda like the Les Robinson Invitational?
    It's the Tres Robinson invitational! ˇSpectacularrrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Tuesday's matchups below:

[82]Pittsburgh (-6) vs. [142]Miami (2:00, ACCN)
    [41]Duke (-10) vs. [134]Boston College (4:30, ACCN)
    [68]Notre Dame (-9) vs. [170]Wake Forest (7:00, ACCN)
    I never bet for or against Duke. I'm happy enough when they win. But objectively, I'd wonder if this Duke team will cover 10 points. I hope I am wrong.

Duke needs to come out embarrassed and angry after that fiasco on Saturday. One game at a time. Keep all the players on an edge. There's no more tomorrow, only the game at hand.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Does anyone have non-Duke related predictions? This tournament feels wide open. A week ago FSU looked a clear favorite. Two and a half weeks ago, UVA looked a clear favorite. I'd say one of them is likely the winner, but man, there's a TON of teams fighting to move up from the middle.

This is one of the weakest lineups I can remember from the ACC, but it should also be wildly competitive. GaTech has six in a row, NCSU has five in a row. UNC is clearly playing as well as anyone. Clemson doesn't look very threatening, but was ranked very high earlier in the season.

Several teams are on either side of the bubble, depending on what swamis you trust, and will be fighting to prove they belong on Indianapolis. And then there are those at the bottom who come in knowing they need four or five in a row to have a chance.

How can you not love this time of year? Let's go Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Does anyone have non-Duke related predictions? This tournament feels wide open. A week ago FSU looked a clear favorite. Two and a half weeks ago, UVA looked a clear favorite. I'd say one of them is likely the winner, but man, there's a TON of teams fighting to move up from the middle.

This is one of the weakest lineups I can remember from the ACC, but it should also be wildly competitive. GaTech has six in a row, NCSU has five in a row. UNC is clearly playing as well as anyone. Clemson doesn't look very threatening, but was ranked very high earlier in the season.

Several teams are on either side of the bubble, depending on what swamis you trust, and will be fighting to prove they belong on Indianapolis. And then there are those at the bottom who come in knowing they need four or five in a row to have a chance.

GT feels dangerous. VERY dangerous. I feel like the only thing that can stop them is (luckily, for the rest of the ACC) having Pastner as a HC. Lots of folks giving him some credit for the year they're having, and maybe you feel like you have to based on what we know about how the sport works.... but I don't buy it. That guy is a "recruiter"/"salesman" type more than a coach and I've always felt extremely shoddy at tactics, prep, and in-game coaching. All Pastner hate aside, the talent they have is extremely underrated. When Alvarado has it going, he's the best guard in the ACC by a wide margin, IMO. Wright has been on fire in seemingly every phase of the game lately as well. You throw in the experience and chemistry their core seems to have (#4 nationally in experience and #10 in minutes continuity) and it just seems like a team built to win in the postseason... again, except that Pastner seems to NOT win in the postseason.

I'm thrilled to watch GT in the ACCT and NCAAs. I have a feeling when Pastner eventually gets fired or moves on, we'll look back at this year as his best at GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    GT feels dangerous. VERY dangerous. I feel like the only thing that can stop them is (luckily, for the rest of the ACC) having Pastner as a HC. Lots of folks giving him some credit for the year they're having, and maybe you feel like you have to based on what we know about how the sport works... but I don't buy it. That guy is a "recruiter"/"salesman" type more than a coach and I've always felt extremely shoddy at tactics, prep, and in-game coaching. All Pastner hate aside, the talent they have is extremely underrated. When Alvarado has it going, he's the best guard in the ACC by a wide margin, IMO. Wright has been on fire in seemingly every phase of the game lately as well. You throw in the experience and chemistry their core seems to have (#4 nationally in experience and #10 in minutes continuity) and it just seems like a team built to win in the postseason... again, except that Pastner seems to NOT win in the postseason.

I'm thrilled to watch GT in the ACCT and NCAAs. I have a feeling when Pastner eventually gets fired or moves on, we'll look back at this year as his best at GT.
    I'm with you regarding the Yellow Jackets and Pastner. I'm hoping to see Alvarado healthy. He was not 100% when they played us. That makes that loss even worse.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    GT feels dangerous. VERY dangerous. I feel like the only thing that can stop them is (luckily, for the rest of the ACC) having Pastner as a HC. Lots of folks giving him some credit for the year they're having, and maybe you feel like you have to based on what we know about how the sport works... but I don't buy it. That guy is a "recruiter"/"salesman" type more than a coach and I've always felt extremely shoddy at tactics, prep, and in-game coaching. All Pastner hate aside, the talent they have is extremely underrated. When Alvarado has it going, he's the best guard in the ACC by a wide margin, IMO. Wright has been on fire in seemingly every phase of the game lately as well. You throw in the experience and chemistry their core seems to have (#4 nationally in experience and #10 in minutes continuity) and it just seems like a team built to win in the postseason... again, except that Pastner seems to NOT win in the postseason.

Could not agree more. I was talking to my good friend (who is a huge UVa fan) about this last night. We both agreed GT is good enough to cut down the nets this week in Greensboro. Their guards could give anyone fits. They’re my dark horse this week but the way UVa is playing, I think UVa has as good of a shot to take the ACC title.

Does anyone have non-Duke related predictions?
    Non-Duke? OK, the winner will be none of UNC, NC State, Wake, UVA, Virginia Tech, FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Non-Duke? OK, the winner will be none of UNC, NC State, Wake, UVA, Virginia Tech, FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh.
    So, Maryland?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here's something to consider.

The last ACC title game that did not include Duke or UNC was 1996. Of the 65 ACC tournaments that have been played (not including last year of course), only once (1990) did the title game not include a team from North Carolina. It seems that is as likely as ever to happen a second time this weekend. Here are KenPom's probabilities:

Rd2 Qtrs Semis Final Champ
    2 Florida St. 100 100 67.6 43.8 25.3
    1 Virginia 100 100 68.4 42.8 24.8
    4 Georgia Tech 100 100 59.3 27.4 12.9
    6 North Carolina 100 71.2 42.0 19.5 9.7
    3 Virginia Tech 100 100 46.2 17.7 7.4
    5 Clemson 100 70.6 32.7 14.0 6.1
    10 Duke 81.1 44.6 15.9 8.1 3.6
    7 Louisville 100 51.0 16.0 7.3 3.0
    8 Syracuse 100 52.8 17.1 7.6 3.0
    9 N.C. State 100 47.2 14.4 6.1 2.3
    11 Notre Dame 76.8 26.1 11.3 3.5 1.3
    12 Pittsburgh 68.9 23.5 7.1 2.0 0.6
    13 Miami FL 31.1 5.9 0.9 0.1 0.02
    15 Boston College 18.9 4.4 0.4 0.08 0.01
    14 Wake Forest 23.2 2.7 0.5 0.06 <0.01

Here's my shot at it:

1st round: Miami over Pitt, Duke over BC, Notre Dame over Wake
    2nd round: Clemson over Miami, Syracuse over NC St., Duke over Louisville, N. Carolina over Notre Dame
    Quarters: Virginia over Syracuse, Ga. Tech over Clemson, Florida St. over Duke, N. Carolina over Va. Tech
    Semis: Georgia Tech over Virginia, Florida St. over N. Carolina
    Final: Florida St. over Georgia Tech

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Outside brown at Stamey's. Absolute delicacy.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    That's some fine Homer Simpson.

Down go the Fighting Capels.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

And Wake leads Notre Dame by two touchdowns, 21-7.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    And Wake leads Notre Dame by two touchdowns, 21-7.
    I've been rooting for ND as I feel like they have a better chance to knock off the CHeats. But Wake is really taking it to them. If the Deacons are able to finish it off I'm sure they'll lay a stinker tomorrow.