Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    no. that's a misconception. the crazies were cheering FOR capel, K misheard it, chastised the crazies in game, was called out, and apologized to the crazies a day later, inviting them for a tour of the media facilities in cameron a couple days later. it was a huge story on campus, a dark spot on K's sometimes over-management of the crazies, and forgiven. The crazies are trying, K, is trying, and sometimes there is miscommunication.
    I think you are talking about last year? They are talking about when Capel was a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think you are talking about last year? They are talking about when Capel was a senior.
    ah. never mind, then
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Name three (see below)
    Sadly, the number of things more important than college basketball grows each year. Wish it weren’t so.

I have nothing positive to say about the game, but wondering where all the debate is over K burning Savarino’s red shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Have to disagree with you on this one. I thought Williams had a great game going against that giant front line, he was the lone bright spot for me (though Steward played well in spots too). He didn’t just score on lobs, he had a nice back to the basket spin move early on, sealed Bacot and received a tough entry pass for a dunk and one shortly after, and had another post move in garbage time. Those are just the plays that I can remember (to the extent that I want to even think about this game). He also hit his free throws which was a huge problem in the GT game. He certainly needs to improve defensively but I was really encouraged by his play as it gave me something to look forward to next season.
    Williams had only three rebounds in 25 minutes. That is terrible for a 7 foot center with a 7’4” reach. As he gains weight and strength that won’t happen next year.

RE: Jeff Capel. Jeff Capel told me in no uncertain terms that he heard boos in Cameron late in that game. His family was so upset at this incident that Duke went from being Jason Capel's likely college destination to no-longer-an-option.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I assume he is referring to the alleged booing of Capel. That happened Capel's senior year (my senior year) of 96-97, not 94-95. There have been countless hours of debate here as to whether it actually happened. My distant memory of the game (I was there) was that it was more of a groan by a small group of people than a boo. I don't think it is worth going on a trip down amnesia lane on this one but suffice it to say that I don't think the Cameron fans booed a player in 94-95.

I do agree that 94/95 was tougher than this year, but the world is a much different place, and my perspective (student going to all the games vs. alum) is also different. I still regret that that is how Pete Gaudet, once of the true class acts of basketball and life in general, ended his time at Duke.
    I was at the game and this is my recollection as well. Capel went to the scorers table to check in and there was a groan from the crowd. Not quite as distinct as the game that season when Greg Newton got the ball at the top of the key and looked at the rim and the entire crowd shouted “NO!!!”, but audible nonetheless

No surprise, given the final score, but bad offense and worse defense.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 80.0 (fast, by far our fastest game of the season, and for this year's team that's apparently not a good thing)
    oRtg: 0.91 (1.03 adjusted; poor, the equivalent of the #165 offense in the country)
    eFG%: 44.2% (terrible; our 3rd-worst eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 18.5% (horrendous, our worst 3pt% of the season; our W/L record while shooting under 30% from three is now 0-8; we are 11-3 when shooting 30% or better)
    2pt%: 54.8% (pretty good, we've shot very well from two in 10 of our last 11 games)
    %threes: 39.1% (too high, but when you fall behind 26-6, you kind of have to try for home runs)
    FT rate: 23.2% (this is bad; the fact that this is exactly our season average makes it even more pathetic)
    OR%: 28.6% (this is also bad)
    TO%: 18.8% (we'd like this to be better, but it isn't so bad; certainly better than most of our performances in the other statistical categories)
    a/to: 1.07:1
    %assisted: 57.1%
    fast break pts: 4 (5.5% of points; 3rd-worst fast break performance of the season)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.14 (1.06 adjusted; stone-cold awful, the equivalent of the #268 defense in the country)
    eFG%: 62.5% (horrible; our 4th-worst opposing eFG of the season and our 14th opposing eFG of 50% or higher)
    3pt%: 44.4% (ugh; our 6th-worst opposing 3pt% of the season; UNC has only topped 40% in five games this season, and two of those five were against us)
    2pt%: 60.5% (horrendous; 2nd-worst opposing 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 32.1% (fine, I guess)
    FT rate: 46.4% (awful, even for us; our 4th-worst opposing free throw rate of the season; we are now 2-10 when allowing an opposing FTR over 30%; we're 9-1 when keeping our opponent's FTR at 30% or below)
    DR%: 70.4% (irony of ironies; we did really well at defensive rebounding against the #1 offensive rebounding team in the nation (that usually holds its opponents' DR% under 60%))
    TO%: 25.0% (OK, we did this well too; our 4th-best opposing turnover rate of the season; but since UNC has averaged 20 turnovers (the exact number they had against us) over its past four games, it's not as great a feat as it might at first appear)
    a/to: 1.05:1
    %assisted: 64.5%
    stl%: 16.3% (great, our 3rd-best steals% of the season)
    blk%: 5.4% (7.9% of 2pt shots) (6th-worst blockage of the season)
    fast break pts: 17 (18.7% of points; awful, but not unexpected against UNC)

Talk about living and dying by the three, we are winless this season when we haven't shot 30% or better from three-land. That would seem to be a fairly low bar, but we've failed to clear it in eight of our 22 games.

On the other side of the ball, against everybody else this season UNC has an eFG of 47.4%. In two games against Duke, their eFG is 61.7%. That's basically why we've lost twice to them this year, though in this game we were pretty bad at a lot of other things too. Our overall performance today would have probably earned a close loss against the University of Milwaukee (#207 in the country).
    Last edited by Kedsy; 03-07-2021 at 12:03 AM.

I didn’t watch the second half. I probably should feel guilty but somehow this year it seems easy to feel detached/numb about this.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    No surprise, given the final score, but bad offense and worse defense.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 80.0 (fast, by far our fastest game of the season, and for this year's team that's apparently not a good thing)
    oRtg: 0.91 (1.03 adjusted; poor, the equivalent of the #165 offense in the country)
    eFG%: 44.2% (terrible; our 3rd-worst eFG of the season)
    3pt%: 18.5% (horrendous, our worst 3pt% of the season; our W/L record while shooting under 30% from three is now 0-8; we are 11-3 when shooting 30% or better)
    2pt%: 54.8% (pretty good, we've shot very well from two in 10 of our last 11 games)
    %threes: 39.1% (too high, but when you fall behind 26-6, you kind of have to try for home runs)
    FT rate: 23.2% (this is bad; the fact that this is exactly our season average makes it even more pathetic)
    OR%: 28.6% (this is also bad)
    TO%: 18.8% (we'd like this to be better, but it isn't so bad; certainly better than most of our performances in the other statistical categories)
    a/to: 1.07:1
    %assisted: 57.1%
    fast break pts: 4 (5.5% of points; 3rd-worst fast break performance of the season)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.14 (1.06 adjusted; stone-cold awful, the equivalent of the #268 defense in the country)
    eFG%: 62.5% (horrible; our 4th-worst opposing eFG of the season and our 14th opposing eFG of 50% or higher)
    3pt%: 44.4% (ugh; our 6th-worst opposing 3pt% of the season; UNC has only topped 40% in five games this season, and two of those five were against us)
    2pt%: 60.5% (horrendous; 2nd-worst opposing 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 32.1% (fine, I guess)
    FT rate: 46.4% (awful, even for us; our 4th-worst opposing free throw rate of the season; we are now 2-10 when allowing an opposing FTR over 30%; we're 9-1 when keeping our opponent's FTR at 30% or below)
    DR%: 70.4% (irony of ironies; we did really well at defensive rebounding against the #1 offensive rebounding team in the nation (that usually holds its opponents' DR% under 60%))
    TO%: 25.0% (OK, we did this well too; our 4th-best opposing turnover rate of the season; but since UNC has averaged 20 turnovers (the exact number they had against us) over its past four games, it's not as great a feat as it might at first appear)
    a/to: 1.05:1
    %assisted: 64.5%
    stl%: 16.3% (great, our 3rd-best steals% of the season)
    blk%: 5.4% (7.9% of 2pt shots) (6th-worst blockage of the season)
    fast break pts: 17 (18.7% of points; awful, but not unexpected against UNC)

Talk about living and dying by the three, we are winless this season when we haven't shot 30% or better from three-land. That would seem to be a fairly low bar, but we've failed to clear it in eight of our 22 games.

On the other side of the ball, against everybody else this season UNC has an eFG of 47.4%. In two games against Duke, their eFG is 61.7%. That's basically why we've lost twice to them this year, though in this game we were pretty bad at a lot of other things too. Our overall performance today would have probably earned a close loss against the University of Milwaukee (#207 in the country).
    in this case (as they often do for me) maybe the numbers and the eye test agree: we didn’t do anything well, or at least we didn’t do anything well enough at a time that it mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    Perhaps I state the obvious but our team was terrible tonight. I wonder if the team and coaches were embarrassed by their performance. I still have ten minutes left in the game but I am shocked at how uninterested Coach K has appeared. Every time the camera pans on him he looks unengaged, almost bored. I’ll bet in 1983 he was animated despite a 10 win season. I hope we are better next year when the fans return.
    Oh, that's easy. He was 36-years-old. He was not a multi-millionaire. His job was on the line. Since we seem to be doing things in threes.

Do any of us have the energy we had 38 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Has Duke taken a step back this season in the elite program pecking order both in the ACC and nationally?
    Compared to whom? Lots of blue bloods have had lots of problems in recent seasons (e.g., Kentucky is 8-15 right now; UNC went 14-19 last season; Michigan State is 14-11; UCLA went 17-16 in 2019 and 15-17 in 2016; Arizona was 17-15 in 2019; Michigan was 16-16 in 2015; Florida State was 17-16 in 2015; Baylor was 19-15 in 2018; etc., etc.; and if you want to go a few years further back, Villanova was 13-19 in 2012 and Virginia was 16-15 in 2011 (and that was their best season in four years)).

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I don't remember 94/95 being this bad,but it was 26 years ago.
    As others have alluded, the 1994-95 Duke team was 2-14 in ACC play. At least compared to their competition, that team was a lot worse than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Love those uniforms. Although after tonight, I hope they aren’t burned.
    Yeah, those uniforms are EPIC. I love them, regardless of tonight’s result.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    given I was 1 formed cell and an as-of-yet uncollected assortment of atoms, from a strictly E=mc^2 perspective, I surely have more energy now than I had then. Heck, every trick to bojangles ensures that.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Last two games in those uniforms have been absolute blowout losses. So maybe they should be thrown into the sun. This was the most joyless on and of court Duke season in decades. Duke only beat BC by 1 at Cameron.
    I say thee nay, sir! Those uniforms are what I have always envisioned Duke wearing. Don’t be superstitious; we are not in the Dark Ages. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    given I was 1 formed cell and an as-of-yet uncollected assortment of atoms, from a strictly E=mc^2 perspective, I surely have more energy now than I had then. Heck, every trick to bojangles ensures that.
    Unfortunately, the Bojangles on 15-501 in Durham has been closed for WEEKS while undergoing renovation. That was my go-to Bojangles. Very depressing. 😞

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Our overall performance today would have probably earned a close loss against the University of Milwaukee (#207 in the country).
    That is a particularly harsh comparison. Maybe save it for the 2021 Recruiting Thread...?

Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Oh, that's easy. He was 36-years-old. He was not a multi-millionaire. His job was on the line. Since we seem to be doing things in threes.

He's focused on activism.

That was so bad I didn’t even notice Bilas being pompous and annoying.