Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    To keep it a little more Dukecentric, toss out UCONN and put in our own 2017 run, becoming the first team in history to go four for four in the ACC Tourney. (This team doesn't have Jayson Tatum however.)
    That team was loaded, besides Tatum they had Kennard, Frank Jackson, Grayson, Amile, Matt Jones. They clearly had the talent to make the final four, but were decimated by injuries all season. Even then we needed huge comebacks in three of those games to make that run. This year’s team is nothing like that. Even with us playing as the best version of ourselves we would need a whole lot of good fortune to win three in a row, much less five.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    That team was loaded, besides Tatum they had Kennard, Frank Jackson, Grayson, Amile, Matt Jones. They clearly had the talent to make the final four, but were decimated by injuries all season. Even then we needed huge comebacks in three of those games to make that run. This year’s team is nothing like that. Even with us playing as the best version of ourselves we would need a whole lot of good fortune to win three in a row, much less five.
    Yes- but how good is the ACC this year?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yes- but how good is the ACC this year?
    Good enough for us to be .500 and playing on Tuesday.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I felt our guys did not match the intensity of the heels to start the game, once Steward was called for the early charge. We were trying to get something going from 20-25 feet and not getting a lot of movement. They seemed to tighten up and began to force things. Shots all off. Too many forced and unforced TOs. With heels starting out 9-13 from the field then Brooks hitting a fallaway 20 footer at the buzzer, it sucked much of the energy from this young team. This is the first game awhile that they were never in it at any time.

Is it being young? Not physical enough or big enough to be physical? Feeling snake bit after losing so many basically one possession games? I don't know. I do know this has to be so much harder on these players than it is for us fans. I have seen some growth this season but not in a sustained way from DJ and Jeremy. I do believe they will return next year much improved.

I have not seen any quit from this team, even after Jalen left. (BTW, one of draft boards has now at #12 and maybe falling).

Hoping that K can teach some lessons from this loss in the next 2 days. We shall see. Whatever happens, I am still pulling strong for this team. 5 in 5 days? Es posible.

After winning those 4 games in Brooklyn that season, that Duke team was a 2 seed in the NCAAT and had to play South Carolina in Greenville in the 2nd round and got beaten pretty soundly. That ACC Tournament title run in Brooklyn was that team’s best achievement that season.

This one went about how I figured it would go. I actually thought they would blow us out in the last game but somehow Duke made a game of it. unc is not especially impressive but they are clearly superior to our guys this year. Hopefully we don’t have to face them in the ACCT.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    After winning those 4 games in Brooklyn that season, that Duke team was a 2 seed in the NCAAT and had to play South Carolina in Greenville in the 2nd round and got beaten pretty soundly. That ACC Tournament title run in Brooklyn was that team’s best achievement that season.
    I remember that season well. I was more excited coming into that season than any in recent memory, including 2015, 2017, 2018, and certainly 2010. I still feel like if we could have gotten past SC we had a good shot to win it all.

Point being, this year’s team just doesn’t have that kind of potential. We’ve played hard through a difficult time and persevered through ups and downs, but our ceiling is not the final four. I am hoping that a couple players can get on a hot streak, we play at the level we saw when we beat UVA, and we can win 2 or 3 games. Realistically that’s all I can hope for. If that’s enough to sneak into the tournament then great, but I don’t expect it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    To note, I wasn't looking to compare this year's bad team with that year's very solid team. The OP was listing "crazy" things that happened, and justifiably put UCONNs 5/5 run in his list. I recommended tossing that one out and replacing it with our own "crazy" 2017 run.

I don't have any delusional optimism for the same to occur this season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    They do not execute . everyone else have been unreliable from game to game. I don't remember 94/95 being this bad,but it was 26 years ago.
    This has probably already been argued on another thread that I missed so I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but the 94/95 team lost 16 of its last 20 games after a 9-2 start, lost in diverse and excruciating ways beyond what the current group has done, and Cameron fans booed one of its team’s own players in frustration.

The absence of K was obviously a major factor and context is very different more than two decades ago, but watching this extremely inexperienced team erratically navigate the obstacles a unique season posed them — and lose many close games in the process — doesn’t really compare to how excruciating that 94/95 season was. Even with a historically bad loss to a rival to end the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    It's a good thing that there are so many things more important than college basketball.
    OK, name 3?!?

jk That’s an solution to an earlier post. My huge support and thumbs up to everyone giving these TOUGH youngsters some slack in a bizarre season. And of course, huge high-fives and hugs (notwithstanding covid, OK virtually) to the guys. I look forward to next year, hopefully with most of this team plus a few shooting stars, but I know they’re going to go out like champions this year, playing their hearts out until the buzzer sounds!
    GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Gotta win 5 in 5 days in Greensboro.

And I think Duke can do it.

I have seen crazier things happen before.
    And what makes you think that?

About as disappointing of an end to the regular season as I can imagine. UNC didn’t even do anything particularly great, we just didn’t show up. Williams played well and Steward showed some fight. I have a ton of respect for Brakefield for taking a charge from Sharpe (which was called a block). But for the most part our guys just looked scared and didn’t execute anything. I legitimately wonder whether the team even wants to play in the ACC Tournament or if they’re just done.

Hurt struggled against them again, which raises valid questions on how he would possibly handle the physicality of the next level. Lots of coaching decisions I didn’t understand. After getting knocked back K went with the most physical players he had, inserting Tape and Coleman. But why did he have to wait until we were down 15? Was it a surprise that UNC was going to be physical? And why did Goldwire start on the bench again? The only chance we had was to generate turnovers.

Ultimately the team just didn’t have it tonight. Hard to be optimistic about a deep run in the ACCT. Maybe I’ll feel better in the morning.
    Carolina had plenty of turnovers

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    This has probably already been argued on another thread that I missed so I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but the 94/95 team lost 16 of its last 20 games after a 9-2 start, lost in diverse and excruciating ways beyond what the current group has done, and Cameron fans booed one of its team’s own players in frustration.

T.
    What Duke player was booed in Cameron that season?

Worst Coach K team since 82/83?

Perhaps I state the obvious but our team was terrible tonight. I wonder if the team and coaches were embarrassed by their performance. I still have ten minutes left in the game but I am shocked at how uninterested Coach K has appeared. Every time the camera pans on him he looks unengaged, almost bored. I’ll bet in 1983 he was animated despite a 10 win season. I hope we are better next year when the fans return.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    Perhaps I state the obvious but our team was terrible tonight. I wonder if the team and coaches were embarrassed by their performance. I still have ten minutes left in the game but I am shocked at how uninterested Coach K has appeared. Every time the camera pans on him he looks unengaged, almost bored. I’ll bet in 1983 he was animated despite a 10 win season. I hope we are better next year when the fans return.
    I highly doubt they were embarrassed. This team is not good, and I'm sure many in the program openly accept that...but the only reason they should be embarrassed is if they didn't go out and try...and given the number of times this team has come back from being down (sometimes big), I find of all their faults, it hard to call them out for not trying.

I appreciate the effort this team has put in, and am sure I'm only half as disappointed as they are that it hasn't yielded the results we all want. I thank them for it, and look forward to another great effort in the ACCT, and hopefully more success moving forward.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Wasn’t Capel booed? Or was it another reaction like audible fan exasperation? Obviously, please correct me here if my recall was faulty.

EDIT: Correction by Jim Sumner below. My bad.
    Last edited by KandG; 03-06-2021 at 10:58 PM.

Wasn’t Capel booed? Or was it another reaction like audible fan exasperation? Obviously, please correct me here if my recall was faulty.
    The incident you recall came against Florida State on December 5, 1996, the beginning of Capel's senior season, i.e. two seasons later. I am unaware of any Duke player being booed in Cameron in the 1994-'95 season.

no. that's a misconception. the crazies were cheering FOR capel, K misheard it, chastised the crazies in game, was called out, and apologized to the crazies a day later, inviting them for a tour of the media facilities in cameron a couple days later. it was a huge story on campus, a dark spot on K's sometimes over-management of the crazies, and forgiven. The crazies are trying, K, is trying, and sometimes there is miscommunication.
    April 1

The absence of K was obviously a major factor and context is very different more than two decades ago, but watching this extremely inexperienced team erratically navigate the obstacles a unique season posed them — and lose many close games in the process — doesn’t really compare to how excruciating that 94/95 season was. Even with a historically bad loss to a rival to end the regular season.
    I assume he is referring to the alleged booing of Capel. That happened Capel's senior year (my senior year) of 96-97, not 94-95. There have been countless hours of debate here as to whether it actually happened. My distant memory of the game (I was there) was that it was more of a groan by a small group of people than a boo. I don't think it is worth going on a trip down amnesia lane on this one but suffice it to say that I don't think the Cameron fans booed a player in 94-95.

I do agree that 94/95 was tougher than this year, but the world is a much different place, and my perspective (student going to all the games vs. alum) is also different. I still regret that that is how Pete Gaudet, once of the true class acts of basketball and life in general, ended his time at Duke.

The incident you recall came against Florida State on December 5, 1996, the beginning of Capel's senior season, i.e. two seasons later. I am unaware of any Duke player being booed in Cameron in the 1994-'95 season.
    Thank you for the clarification, shows you that age is messing with me as much anyone else, conflating the events of those few years post 1994 — the Capel story was relayed to me by a friend who worked for Duke and lived in Durham who I frequently spoke to in those years, but it was indeed during Capel’s senior year. (We did speak a *lot* during that 1994-95 season)

My apologies and thanks for the correction.