Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    I'm pretty sure that none of us knows the answer, but I'm curious as to why Hurt had such a poor shooting night. [I haven't checked his final shooting stats, but he was way off throughout most of the game.]
    In the first matchup he was mostly playing center, expended a lot of energy defending inside which took a toll on him offensively and then he got into foul trouble. In this one he was mostly playing the four but still struggled to get open looks. His defender played up on him and he wasn’t able to get by him. He did have a few good looks off of ball movement which he missed. I have to think that defending a bigger player again wore him down and affected his shooting, but that’s just speculation. Against most teams he can shoot over his defender any time he wants, but it’s different when UNC is always playing two 6’10 guys and Matt isn’t quick enough to take them off the dribble. I will say that I thought he rebounded pretty well (don’t know what his numbers are, just my feeling from watching the game).

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    (1) Health

(2) Financial security

(3) Kids

{Not necessarily in that order. And this from someone who used to own a “Basketball is life” t-shirt. )
    Ok- I will give you those. If Duke does not have a miracle run- I will be rooting for the Zags. That is a deserving program to get a NC.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Perspective folks...down year in one of the most challenging years in generations. Luck also wasn't on our side this year as evidenced by the KenPom metric amongst other things (e.g. Jalen Johnson situation).

We'll return 4 guys that averaged double figures in conference play plus a stud class led by Banchero who I think is damn special.

And perspective about UNC as well...they would've missed the tourney last year and are looking at 10 seed this year. Their incoming class is a couple of top 50 dudes and that's it. Not a program that I would consider "elite" anymore.

And not saying we'll win the ACC tourney but it is WIDE OPEN this year.
    Old Roy loads up with big men and they are rebounding devils as a result. We have a good one in Williams but an injury and we are down to 6'9 guys. Why not take another developmental big if we have room?

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    It's a good thing that there are so many things more important than college basketball.
    Name three

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Ok- I will give you those. If Duke does not have a miracle run- I will be rooting for the Zags. That is a deserving program to get a NC.
    I must agree -- unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Aside from Steward, nobody had a good night. Several guys played hard, but we just weren’t effective. Even Williams’ 18 points on lobs feels hollow as he was dominated on the glass and ineffective at stopping UNC’s bigs. We need more than 1 defensive rebound and 0 blocks from our 7-footer.
    Have to disagree with you on this one. I thought Williams had a great game going against that giant front line, he was the lone bright spot for me (though Steward played well in spots too). He didn’t just score on lobs, he had a nice back to the basket spin move early on, sealed Bacot and received a tough entry pass for a dunk and one shortly after, and had another post move in garbage time. Those are just the plays that I can remember (to the extent that I want to even think about this game). He also hit his free throws which was a huge problem in the GT game. He certainly needs to improve defensively but I was really encouraged by his play as it gave me something to look forward to next season.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    If Duke does not have a miracle run- I will be rooting for the Zags. That is a deserving program to get a NC.
    Zags are nice, but I’ll take Illinois for some 2005-style justice.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Have to disagree with you on this one. I thought Williams had a great game going against that giant front line, he was the lone bright spot for me (though Steward played well in spots too). He didn’t just score on lobs, he had a nice back to the basket spin move early on, sealed Bacot and received a tough entry pass for a dunk and one shortly after, and had another post move in garbage time. Those are just the plays that I can remember (to the extent that I want to even think about this game). He also hit his free throws which was a huge problem in the GT game. He certainly needs to improve defensively but I was really encouraged by his play as it gave me something to look forward to next season.
    He had 1 defensive rebound and 0 blocks. He made some shots. But he was not effective.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Name three
    ^^^^^

"Amazing what a minute can do."

^^^^^

I saw. Just disagree.

Name three.
    I have a feeling well go 1-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Zags are nice, but I’ll take Illinois for some 2005-style justice.
    +1 to that.

As I watched this game the skill and sloppiness our players had just didn't look like we had starters out on the court.No toughness or leadership stood out.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Duke is young, the season has been nuts with the pandemic, games were cancelled, Johnson essentially quit the team during the season, etc. but with the amount of 4 and 5 star recruits/recruited talent on Duke’s roster along with the resources Duke has (practice facilities, weight room, pregame meals, pay for coaching staff, gear, film rooms, social media platforms, etc.), is any of Duke’s .500 record in the 2020-2021 season attributed to the team simply under achieving and under performing? Has Duke taken a step back this season in the elite program pecking order both in the ACC and nationally?
    They do not execute . The young excuse and the pandemic excuse do not work for me.They are inconsistent. Williams is looking better and better, but everyone else have been unreliable from game to game. I don't remember 94/95 being this bad,but it was 26 years ago.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    UVa losing to UMBC in 2018.

UConn winning 5 in 5 days at Madison Square Garden in the 2011 Big East Tournament.

Laettner shot.

Don’t forget, Duke has already beaten the top seed in next week’s ACC Tournament once this season. This tournament is wide open.
    To keep it a little more Dukecentric, toss out UCONN and put in our own 2017 run, becoming the first team in history to go four for four in the ACC Tourney. (This team doesn't have Jayson Tatum however.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We had trouble against every opponent that was big and physical, and tonight’s opponent certainly qualified. I wonder if Hurt’s draft stock dropped this game. He was matched up with someone he couldn’t easily shoot over pretty much all night long, and he proved he couldn’t drive on them effectively, either. Every defender he might face in the NBA, will be his size or larger with a lot more lateral quickness. Matt can shoot in the open or when loosely guarded, but not otherwise. I just wonder who would risk that his overall skill set translates.

Hard way to have to end a frustrating regular season. The only game we haven’t been competitive in in acc play. Not really looking forward to acc tourney. Not even sure we will beat BC, but I am sure of one thing. I am gonna pull like crazy for our Bluedevils next week. One game at a time. I’ve seen a lot of crazy things happen before.

We are a baseball school.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    To keep it a little more Dukecentric, toss out UCONN and put in our own 2017 run, becoming the first team in history to go four for four in the ACC Tourney. (This team doesn't have Jayson Tatum however.)
    Yes, think Duke beat Clemson, Louisville, UNC, Notre Dame that year.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    We are a baseball school.
    Women’s golf