Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    It's a good thing that there are so many things more important than college basketball.
    Name three (see below)

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    It was The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight tonight, but I feel for these guys. It's got to be tough to have a season like this in a year like this.

I'm hoping they can maintain a positive attitude and play hard. I'll cheer for them as far as they want to go this year...
    I imagine they just want to get out of the hotels they've been living in for the last 4-5 months and get home to their families and friends.

Thanks to Jordan Goldwire for his four years at Duke. He brought intensity every game.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Said it in the game thread, after a season full of fighting uphill under less than ideal circumstances — with a very flawed roster — the team held on to the rope longer than might have been expected. Tuesday’s heartbreak may have broken them, because tonight they let go and took a long fall downward.

Can’t scapegoat any one player tonight, they all tried but were all (with the exception of Williams) forced into the worst version of themselves, rushing bad and heavily contested shots, dribbling into turnovers, pressing with effort but no real impact, leaden slow on rotations, providing almost zero resistance on defense inside and outside.

However it ends next week, hope the team has at least one more spirited effort (and win) in them. They deserve better than to end the season looking the way they did tonight.

(Side note: 1995 was way worse than this season, no matter how much this may sting)

About as disappointing of an end to the regular season as I can imagine. UNC didn’t even do anything particularly great, we just didn’t show up. Williams played well and Steward showed some fight. I have a ton of respect for Brakefield for taking a charge from Sharpe (which was called a block). But for the most part our guys just looked scared and didn’t execute anything. I legitimately wonder whether the team even wants to play in the ACC Tournament or if they’re just done.

Hurt struggled against them again, which raises valid questions on how he would possibly handle the physicality of the next level. Lots of coaching decisions I didn’t understand. After getting knocked back K went with the most physical players he had, inserting Tape and Coleman. But why did he have to wait until we were down 15? Was it a surprise that UNC was going to be physical? And why did Goldwire start on the bench again? The only chance we had was to generate turnovers.

Ultimately the team just didn’t have it tonight. Hard to be optimistic about a deep run in the ACCT. Maybe I’ll feel better in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Kemba Walker (junior) & Christian Laettner (senior) ain’t walkin’ through that door.
    Lol it would be such a Duke move to go 11-11, 9-9 and then win the ACC Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    About as disappointing of an end to the regular season as I can imagine. UNC didn’t even do anything particularly great, we just didn’t show up. Williams played well and Steward showed some fight. I have a ton of respect for Brakefield for taking a charge from Sharpe (which was called a block). But for the most part our guys just looked scared and didn’t execute anything. I legitimately wonder whether the team even wants to play in the ACC Tournament or if they’re just done.

Hurt struggled against them again, which raises valid questions on how he would possibly handle the physicality of the next level. Lots of coaching decisions I didn’t understand. After getting knocked back K went with the most physical players he had, inserting Tape and Coleman. But why did he have to wait until we were down 15? Was it a surprise that UNC was going to be physical? And why did Goldwire start on the bench again? The only chance we had was to generate turnovers.

Ultimately the team just didn’t have it tonight. Hard to be optimistic about a deep run in the ACCT. Maybe I’ll feel better in the morning.
    You will feel better if they win the first one. Not until then.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    It's a good thing that there are so many things more important than college basketball.
    Name two.

Edit: DukeLifer beat me to it, but I'm not as demanding...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

Why do teams shoot such a high % from the 3 against us? Seems pretty consistent this year.

Aside from Steward, nobody had a good night. Several guys played hard, but we just weren’t effective. Even Williams’ 18 points on lobs feels hollow as he was dominated on the glass and ineffective at stopping UNC’s bigs. We need more than 1 defensive rebound and 0 blocks from our 7-footer.

Steward was pretty effective and efficient. It was a nice bounce back game for him. Unfortunately he was mostly alone.

We rode the great shooting from Hurt for a few weeks, but he had a rough night tonight. And when he misses, we can look rough.

Roach wound up with decent numbers, but it was mostly in garbage time.

Moore and Goldwire played hard but couldn’t make shots.

Basically, it boils down to them again hitting a couple extra 3s and us being dreadful from 3. If they go 7-18 and we go 10-27, this thing is a game. Alas... 5-27 isn’t going to cut it, especially when they shoot 44% from 3.

this Duke team is nowhere as good as 2011 UConn. for a few reasons.

I'm super hopeful and I'll be rooting my brains out, but that comparison is ill conceived

We should be thankful to the players who sacrificed a lot to play this year.

That said, I will be attempting to put this season down the memory hole. Hopefully next year will be better.

Hurt's Off Night

I'm pretty sure that none of us knows the answer, but I'm curious as to why Hurt had such a poor shooting night. [I haven't checked his final shooting stats, but he was way off throughout most of the game.]

It was obvious from the get-go that we were overmatched in poise and ability. But I thought, well, let's see Hurt make a couple of three's and maybe we can right the ship. But he missed shot after shot, often not even close. Oh well, if that doesn't change, stick a fork in us.

If Hurt had been his usual hot-shooting self, we may have had a chance. Not only more points, but some momentum, encouragement and better spacing for the rest of the team. It's not lost on the team when our best shooter is struggling.

Was it Duke vs. UNC game pressure? An injury? Something else going on in his life? Just one of those inexplicable things -- shots not falling and even he doesn't know why?
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Basically, it boils down to them again hitting a couple extra 3s and us being dreadful from 3. If they go 7-18 and we go 10-27, this thing is a game. Alas... 5-27 isn’t going to cut it, especially when they shoot 44% from 3.
    I didn’t record the game (thank god), but I would be curious to compare their shot quality on 3s versus ours. Hurt definitely missed some open shots, but generally it felt like many of our 3s were contested or forced against good defense, while UNC’s threes came in rhythm and were much more comfortable because our defense was either slow or overly conscious of UNC’s inside players.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Name three (see below)
    (1) Health

(2) Financial security

(3) Kids

{Not necessarily in that order. And this from someone who used to own a “Basketball is life” t-shirt. )
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Keep it civil.
    Aye sir

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Why do teams shoot such a high % from the 3 against us? Seems pretty consistent this year.
    I’ve watched every Duke game and every Pelicans game this season. I ask myself the same question every game. My highly scientific conclusion after today’s game is that the other team shoots so well only because I am watching.

Duke is young, the season has been nuts with the pandemic, games were cancelled, Johnson essentially quit the team during the season, etc. but with the amount of 4 and 5 star recruits/recruited talent on Duke’s roster along with the resources Duke has (practice facilities, weight room, pregame meals, pay for coaching staff, gear, film rooms, social media platforms, etc.), is any of Duke’s .500 record in the 2020-2021 season attributed to the team simply under achieving and under performing? Has Duke taken a step back this season in the elite program pecking order both in the ACC and nationally?

Perspective folks....down year in one of the most challenging years in generations. Luck also wasn't on our side this year as evidenced by the KenPom metric amongst other things (e.g. Jalen Johnson situation).

We'll return 4 guys that averaged double figures in conference play plus a stud class led by Banchero who I think is damn special.

And perspective about UNC as well....they would've missed the tourney last year and are looking at 10 seed this year. Their incoming class is a couple of top 50 dudes and that's it. Not a program that I would consider "elite" anymore.

And not saying we'll win the ACC tourney but it is WIDE OPEN this year.

Regardless of the final score:

9F 3000.