Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Looking at Saturday's loss and our football loss to unc, I can't think of a time when we were less competitive with them...(and I can remember some very bad seasons in both sports).
    at least we took a no-contest in WBB....but probably would have won that one
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Caleb Love has only shot 45.5% on his shot attempts around the rim. Jeremy Roach has shot 61.1%.

I agree with UC that many of us have a highly skewed view of Love based on his inexplicable success against Duke. If the guy only makes 45% of his layup attempts, he probably doesn't "get to the rim and finish through contact" all that often.
    Love has taken 75 shots at the rim to Jeremy's 52 and that's with uNC's penchant for clogging the lane with a pair of behemoths. I did not realize that he shot such a poor percent but he does get to the rim quite a bit more than Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Love has taken 75 shots at the rim to Jeremy's 52 and that's with uNC's penchant for clogging the lane with a pair of behemoths. I did not realize that he shot such a poor percent but he does get to the rim quite a bit more than Jeremy.
    Love has also played 3 more games. When you consider how much more the PG has the ball at UNC than at Duke, I don’t think the ~0.5 more attempts per game is compelling evidence that Love gets to the rim “quite a bit more”. At least not in terms of frequency per opportunity. Only in total volume, and that is driven by differences in minutes played and role.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Love has also played 3 more games. When you consider how much more the PG has the ball at UNC than at Duke, I don’t think the ~0.5 more attempts per game is compelling evidence that Love gets to the rim “quite a bit more”. At least not in terms of frequency per opportunity. Only in total volume, and that is driven by differences in minutes played and role.
    Fair enough. I should have expected that with the amount of games Duke has had cancelled on them. I would consider that having 2 bigs in the paint to offset having the ball more.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Fair enough. I should have expected that with the amount of games Duke has had cancelled on them. I would consider that having 2 bigs in the paint to offset having the ball more.
    UNC also runs more, so more of their possessions have zero bigs in the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    UNC also runs more, so more of their possessions have zero bigs in the paint.
    This is like getting involved in a land war in Asia.

5 thoughts...

1. After the game, I didn't want to think about it or even talk about it. At all. It's taken me until Monday to do so, and even then part of me still just wants to forget it. But catharsis is good for the soul. Sooooo...

2. Such an awful first half. With their season on the line and playing Carolina, the effort that showed was just pathetic. Worst half in 10 years (anybody remember the loss to St. John's at MSG in 2011? That was perhaps uglier, but it wasn't against UNC). And it wasn't like UNC was playing all that well. They were sloppy with the ball and didn't capitalize on the majority of Duke's mistakes. But Duke didn't capitalize on theirs much at all. And with Duke playing so poorly, building the lead was inevitable.

3. I stated before to win the game, Hurt needed to go off. And that did not happen. Another positive performance from Williams (4-5 from the FT line!). And a bounce back game from Steward, who led the team in minutes. But no bench scoring. Without Hurt scoring in the high 20's, it was going to be an uphill battle.

4. I am glad that guys like Worthington and Savarino finally got game time. I just wish they had been human victory cigars instead of white flags.

5. Now it's just fighting for a modicum of success for Duke. Can they finish the season above .500? Need to beat BC, then win at least one more game somehow (ACC or NIT, if they go). Like a lot of things during the pandemic, I am ready to forget this season. I'm glad that Hurt made the All-ACC team (if only to spite Cory Alexander). They have kept the 3-pointer streak going. The 10-games streak kept going. And they did not finish below .500 in conference. I think the only realistic goal left is to finish the season with a winning record. Could they get hot and win the ACC Tournament? Sure, stranger things have happened... ok, I can only think of UMBC beating UVA, 'Nova '85 and NCSU '82 winning those national championships, and Chaminade over UVA... But though I will be watching and rooting hard, I don't think it's realistic. You just never know what you will get with this team on a game-by-game basis. I blame COVID and youth for much of this, and the way to prove that will be a return to prominence next season.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.