Fellow Duke Fan Could Really Use Some Help

As you guys know, if you’ve been reading here for any time at all, we’ve always done fundraisers for people who ask for help. We’ve had auctions and promoted things on GoFundMe.com. We raised a lot of money for Duke in various ways, including the Children’s Hospital, DUMB and various other organizations.

Over the last several years, we’ve also worked with Dr. Mike Lee and Blue Healers to help raise money for the Pan-African Academy of Christian Surgeons who do great work in Africa where their help is greatly needed.

It’s one of our favorite things to do and as long as we’re here we’ll do it whenever possible. It’s a great feeling to help people.

This time is a little different.

We’re putting together a fundraiser for a lifelong Duke fan who has had some very difficult times.

His first wife and the mother of his children died a few years ago. Then his only son died unexpectedly in 2017. He was just 26.

Then a few months ago, his second wife died after a long and difficult hospital stay.

At the same time, he had a couple of serious medical crises of his own, with the last being a nearly fatal case of necrotizing fasciitis from which he’s still recovering.

He’s also had several long-term issues that have severely limited his ability to work.

His second wife’s hospital charges are in the hundreds of thousands and his recent stay has left him with bills of close to $50,000, and that doesn’t include on-going rehab and physical therapy.

This is within about a six month span and he’s emotionally devastated.

While we’d always try to help a fellow Duke fan out, there are two more important reasons we’re organizing this fundraiser. First, he’s in serious danger of losing his house because he has no way to pay these bills. And second?

He’s our brother and we want to help if we can.

We’d be very grateful if you’d be willing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by dbr View Post
    As you guys know, if you’ve been reading here for any time at all, we’ve always done fundraisers for people who ask for help. We’ve had auctions and promoted things on GoFundMe.com. We raised a lot of money for Duke in various ways, including the Children’s Hospital, DUMB and various other organizations.

Over the last several years, we’ve also worked with Dr. Mike Lee and Blue Healers to help raise money for the Pan-African Academy of Christian Surgeons who do great work in Africa where their help is greatly needed.

It’s one of our favorite things to do and as long as we’re here we’ll do it whenever possible. It’s a great feeling to help people.

This time is a little different.

We’re putting together a fundraiser for a lifelong Duke fan who has had some very difficult times.

His first wife and the mother of his children died a few years ago. Then his only son died unexpectedly in 2017. He was just 26.

Then a few months ago, his second wife died after a long and difficult hospital stay.

At the same time, he had a couple of serious medical crises of his own, with the last being a nearly fatal case of necrotizing fasciitis from which he’s still recovering.

He’s also had several long-term issues that have severely limited his ability to work.

His second wife’s hospital charges are in the hundreds of thousands and his recent stay has left him with bills of close to $50,000, and that doesn’t include on-going rehab and physical therapy.

This is within about a six month span and he’s emotionally devastated.

While we’d always try to help a fellow Duke fan out, there are two more important reasons we’re organizing this fundraiser. First, he’s in serious danger of losing his house because he has no way to pay these bills. And second?

He’s our brother and we want to help if we can.

We’d be very grateful if you’d be willing to help.
    First off, my prayers are going out to this man immediately.

Secondly, I'll do what I can financially.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    First off, my prayers are going out to this man immediately.

Secondly, I'll do what I can financially.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you!

-jk

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Bumping this up so it doesn’t get buried on other pages.

I donated. Bill is a good guy and I am sorry to hear he is struggling.