Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Any discussion of iconic reverse dunks has to include the original from Mr. Dennard -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfBO9WWtF0

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Any discussion of iconic reverse dunks has to include the original from Mr. Dennard -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfBO9WWtF0
    And how mad was Bill Foster after that showboating?!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Yeah, I feel like Johnny's reverse in the 1986 NCAAT sort of gets overshadowed in these discussions by Henderson 89 and Grant 91.

The one I can't shut up about, I'm sure some of you will have noted, is Grant at Georgia Tech in 1992. It was the same as the Kansas oop, except, if standard def and the patchwork of human memory can be trusted, the pass was even higher, and farther behind his head.
    This was the most amazing dunk I have ever seen.

I briefly thought this thread said “Most Ironic Duke Dunkers”. JJ’s senior dunk was the first to spring to mind.

You've got to consider

You've got to consider Grant and Grayson for the top ten. Gene Banks had a elbow bender and I remember David Henderson could throw it down. Top three for me would be Zion, JD, and Maggette.
    GTHC

I have definite "classmate bias", but Coach regularly ran back door alley oops for Johnny. Probably he shortest guy I've seen have that set specifically designed for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    I have definite "classmate bias", but Coach regularly ran back door alley oops for Johnny. Probably he shortest guy I've seen have that set specifically designed for him.
    Yeah. If we’re highlighting classmates, Boozer dunked like he wanted to destroy the backboard. Casey Sanders was a fun dunker, too. Not a great basketball player but he was a fun dunker.

Pregame Dunks

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    I think its the sideline near midcourt inbounds with the back screen, curl, alley oop for Johnny to which you refer. They couldn't stop it when they knew it was coming, or they simply couldn't believe it was coming. During the Dawkins era (and before), when the students came into Cameron hours before tip, the first round of pregame layups (before the officials came out) including a dunking line. Johnny really showed some stuff in those dunk fests.
    GTHC

Magette, Dahntay Jones, Henderson, Zion, Stanley are the most obviius for me in the past twenty-something years. I seem to recall that Grayson Allen had some pretty spectacular dunks every once in a while, too.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I briefly thought this thread said “Most Ironic Duke Dunkers”. JJ’s senior dunk was the first to spring to mind.
    Yes, in that vein, Danny Ferrry could dunk as well but it was a lower percentage shot than a 20 foot jumper.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yeah. If we’re highlighting classmates, Boozer dunked like he wanted to destroy the backboard. Casey Sanders was a fun dunker, too. Not a great basketball player but he was a fun dunker.
    On the theme of classmate bias, Carmen Wallace probably had one of the top verticals in Duke history, but didn't get to actually play very much. A year behind me was Ricky Price, who had more opportunities than Carmen to demonstrate his ups and dunking prowess. Neither likely deserves to be on the Mount Rushmore of Duke dunkers, but they are worthy of mention.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Dahntay Jones
    Superb at pushups, too.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Ricky Price was the only other player besides Zion that I can recall doing a 360 during a game in Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Ricky Price was the only other player besides Zion that I can recall doing a 360 during a game in Cameron.
    Players like that don't come round very often.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    ESPN ran a fun poll for each NBA teams most iconic dunkers and it got me thinking who are some of Duke's most iconic dunkers. Could be a fun thing to talk about to lighten the mood of the last few games around here.

Obviously Grant Hill will likely come to mind first for most. He could very well be the best, but I don't think the list stops there if we're looking at dunking ability alone. We've had some solid dunkers come through here over the years and I'd be remiss to not at least give mention to them.

Gene Banks
    Antonio Lang
    Corey Maggette
    Dahntay Jones
    DeMarcus Nelson
    Gerald Henderson
    Mason Plumlee??
    Zion Williamson

Thoughts?
    I loved Zions dunks but I have to go with Grants dunk in the 91 championship as #1 dunk all time.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Yeah, I feel like Johnny's reverse in the 1986 NCAAT sort of gets overshadowed in these discussions by Henderson 89 and Grant 91.

The one I can't shut up about, I'm sure some of you will have noted, is Grant at Georgia Tech in 1992. It was the same as the Kansas oop, except, if standard def and the patchwork of human memory can be trusted, the pass was even higher, and farther behind his head.
    I had the pleasure of seeing both of Grant's dunks in person. The GA Tech dunk was more spectacular albeit on a smaller stage

Grants dunk against Marquette in the 1994 Sweet 16 was a get out of my way im taking over this game kinda dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    Grants dunk against Marquette in the 1994 Sweet 16 was a get out of my way im taking over this game kinda dunk.
    And then of course there's the "saddle" dunk atop Eric Montross.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    I loved Zions dunks but I have to go with Grants dunk in the 91 championship as #1 dunk all time.
    Given all of the peripheral setting and meaning - hard to argue with.

But Zion was definitely the most amazing dunker ever to lace up shoes in Cameron Indoor.

Maybe not as explosive as some of the guys on this list, but I thought that Luol Deng was fun to watch during his only season at Duke. It seems like every game he had at least one play where you thought, "How in the world did he pull that off?"