Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I think what DinK is asking, though, is whether the slate gets cleaned once you reach nationals, i.e., that the results from your *regional* competition do not carry over to nationals. I believe the slate does get cleaned (because different teams from different regions played different courses in different conditions), but am not 100% certain.
    Yes, and even at nationals, the slate gets cleaned. Nationals, IIRC (and there's always a first time) begins with 72 holes of medal play. It determines the individual champion and the eight teams that qualify for match play (there is a cut-down in teams for the fourth round, I believe). And, of course, with match play, you don't carry anything forward, no matter how good or poorly you played in the medal rounds.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Still in second, playing holes 13-15. We are 11 shots clear of the #7 team (six qualify). All teams in contention outside the top six have finished their rounds. It would be nice to finish strong.

We lost another shot, and are only one shot ahead of Arixona State, which is finishing on a wave or birdies. Hey! We can do that too!!

Michigan is struggling at +11 for the day, playing along with Duke and Georgia. The Lady Wolverines don't have a lot of margin for error, if they lose five strokes more to par, they could be out.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Duke Finishes Second at columbus Regional

Duke staggered a bit today but held off a charging Sun Devils team to finish second behind Georgia. UGa was superb throughout, winning by 14 strokes.

The nationals are in Scottsdale at the Grayhawk course, May 21-26.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Duke staggered a bit today but held off a charging Sun Devils team to finish second behind Georgia. UGa was superb throughout, winning by 14 strokes.

The nationals are in Scottsdale at the Grayhawk course, May 21-26.
    Actually, Georgia won by 15 and Arizona State ended up tying us for 2nd.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

At least there wasn’t any bullshark in Columbus like there was in Baton Rouge, where tournament officials said the course was “playable” but not in “championship condition” after storms there, and declared (to legitimate hue & cry, IMO) that the top 3 teams and (I think) top 6 individuals *after just two rounds* would advance.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

At least there wasn’t any bullshark in Columbus like there was in Baton Rouge, where tournament officials said the course was “playable” but not in “championship condition” after storms there, and declared (to legitimate hue & cry, IMO) that the top 3 teams and (I think) top 6 individuals *after just two rounds* would advance.
    Now with video:

https://twitter.com/golfweek/status/...766403584?s=21

And I got qualifying backwards: Top 6 teams, and top 3 individuals not on a qualifying team.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 05-12-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Actually, Georgia won by 15 and Arizona State ended up tying us for 2nd.
    They had the hole-by-hole scores posted, but I guess the overall standings were lagging. Gina finished bogey-bogey.
    Sage Grouse

Now with video:

https://twitter.com/golfweek/status/...766403584?s=21

And I got qualifying backwards: Top 6 teams, and top 3 individuals not on a qualifying team.
    Wow does that suck.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Wow does that suck.
    Yep. A terrible decision and a terrible look. And I, personally, am persuaded that if this had been a men’s regional, they would have played.

It appears to be far worse than that. The top 6 seeds and top 3 seeded individuals advance after no golf was played.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    It appears to be far worse than that. The top 6 seeds and top 3 seeded individuals advance after no golf was played.
    Yep. My bad. I envisioned that 2 rounds were played. But, no: Not a single shot was played Monday, Tuesday, or today:

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/0...r-controversy/

This is lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    Since this doesn't make much sense, who or what is behind this decision to not play any golf on a playable course?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Since this doesn't make much sense, who or what is behind this decision to not play any golf on a playable course?
    And apparently no water pumping or other typical course preparation initiated. Should not schedule another important event at that location.

Blue Devils Set for First Round of NCAA Championship

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – The second-ranked Duke women's golf team is set for the 2021 NCAA Championship as the Blue Devils were able to get their first looks at the Grayhawk Golf Club the last two days in Scottsdale, Ariz.

The championship will take place May 21-26, but after 54 holes only the top 15 teams will advance to Monday's final stroke play round. Following Monday's action, the top eight teams will advance to match play, which will take place May 25-26.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/5/20/wo...mpionship.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – The second-ranked Duke women's golf team is set for the 2021 NCAA Championship as the Blue Devils were able to get their first looks at the Grayhawk Golf Club the last two days in Scottsdale, Ariz.

The championship will take place May 21-26, but after 54 holes only the top 15 teams will advance to Monday's final stroke play round. Following Monday's action, the top eight teams will advance to match play, which will take place May 25-26.

Tee time for the Devils is 2:30 today. Go Duke!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

You forgot the line in paragraph 4 that says: “If it rains anywhere within 300 miles of the course then all play will be suspended and LSU shall be declared the NCAA champion.”
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You forgot the line in paragraph 4 that says: “If it rains anywhere within 300 miles of the course then all play will be suspended and LSU shall be declared the NCAA champion.”
    And everyone else moves over to the Barstool "Let Them Play" event.

The Duke women are halfway through round one of the finals and they have been hovering w/ the leaders consistently. They are currently in 1st at -1. WF is in 2nd at even. Good start.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The Duke women are halfway through round one of the finals and they have been hovering w/ the leaders consistently. They are currently in 1st at -1. WF is in 2nd at even. Good start.
    Um... Wrong thread? I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Um... Wrong thread? I assume?
    What?
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide