Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Wonder if Dan can coach college basketball.

GoDuke!
    I wonder about his travel budget, since the majority of the players we have recruited in the past ten years have been from overseas. Surely he doesn't limit his interactions to tournament results and videos.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Dan doesn't really have to travel too much

I think. Not 100% sure, but I think many of his recruits just want to play for him/Duke so they can transition to the next level. IMO, he inherited a really good/great program from Ron Schmid ( many of you would likely know Ron from leader of Iron Dukes) and Dan just took it to the next level, or three. I know both pretty well and am impressed with their success. Go DUKE!!
    Dan carries a short roster to maximize how much scholly money he can offer IMO.
    Certainly, women's golf at Duke is at an incredibly high level. Dominant, not always, but relevant, as in top-5, every year.
    Great guy as well, as is Ron!!

Ron Schmid takes me back. My buddy and I got a chipping lesson from him back in the 80s at the (pre-Washington) Duke golf course. It was a hot summer day and we wanted to practice from the shade around part of the putting green, but Ron said we had to prove ourselves before we earned the shade. That became a running gag between us for years after.

Ron Schmid was one of the really good guys. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I think. Not 100% sure, but I think many of his recruits just want to play for him/Duke so they can transition to the next level. IMO, he inherited a really good/great program from Ron Schmid ( many of you would likely know Ron from leader of Iron Dukes) and Dan just took it to the next level, or three. I know both pretty well and am impressed with their success. Go DUKE!!
    Dan carries a short roster to maximize how much scholly money he can offer IMO.
    Certainly, women's golf at Duke is at an incredibly high level. Dominant, not always, but relevant, as in top-5, every year.
    Great guy as well, as is Ron!!
    yes, quite a few of the foreign players played their HS golf in the U.S., so travel isn't really a huge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, quite a few of the foreign players played their HS golf in the U.S., so travel isn't really a huge issue.
    Not that this is at the top of our national problems, but is there some reason that fewer US born players seem to be playing at a high enough level to earn scholarship attention? Didn't young girls follow Tiger and the growth of TV golf coverage?

Men's Golf in the NCAA's

Congratulations to the men's team for its selection.

Per Kevin White's email:

Men's Golf Earns NCAA Berth, Heads to Noblesville Region
    The Duke men's golf team has been selected to participate in the 2021 NCAA Championship, earning the program's 26th NCAA postseason berth. The Blue Devils, who are in the postseason for a sixth consecutive time, are headed to the Noblesville Regional in Noblesville, Ind. The 54-hole event will be contested May 17-19 at the Sagamore Club, with the low five teams from each of the six regional sites advancing to the NCAA Championship. Other teams competing in the Noblesville Regional are top-seeded Texas, North Carolina, Tennessee, North Florida, Louisville, South Florida, UAB, UNCW, Arkansas State, Campbell, UT Martin and Loyola Chicago.
    It counts out to 13, and there are six regionals. The top in each five advance to the championships in Scottsdale.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Ron Schmid was one of the really good guys. RIP
    Ron is RIP? When? Googling him doesn’t show that.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Ron is RIP? When? Googling him doesn’t show that.
    Mea Culpa. I was thinking od Rod Meyers with the RIP comment.

The Duke women are off to great start in the NCAA Columbus Regional. They are 4 under after just a handful of holes and have a 5 stroke lead on the field.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Not that this is at the top of our national problems, but is there some reason that fewer US born players seem to be playing at a high enough level to earn scholarship attention? Didn't young girls follow Tiger and the growth of TV golf coverage?
    ha, maybe they all drove their cars off the road?

Good question...I guess good women athletes have lots of options in the U.S., thanks to Title IX, so maybe the talent is diluted among soccer, softball, lax, tennis, all the other opportunities American women have...

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    The Duke women are off to great start in the NCAA Columbus Regional. They are 4 under after just a handful of holes and have a 5 stroke lead on the field.
    Here's the scoring link.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Good question--I wonder if part of the reason could be that many of the stars in the women's professional ranks are currently not Americans. And on the men's tournaments, there don't seem to be many emerging stars that have the charisma of Tiger.

Duke is now tied for 2nd at one under, two strokes back.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Back on top by one.

Duke has regained the lead at 2 under with just a few holes to go. Oklahoma is 2nd one back.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

First day results are largely complete -- Duke is in second at -1, trailing Oklahoma by one and one shot ahead of Michigan in third. Top teams went off first today.

Gina Kim is T-2 at -2 in the individual results and Erica Shepherd is T-6 at -1.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    First day results are largely complete -- Duke is in second at -1, trailing Oklahoma by one and one shot ahead of Michigan in third. Top teams went off first today.

Gina Kim is T-2 at -2 in the individual results and Erica Shepherd is T-6 at -1.
    Is see a UNCheat golfer listed in the player leaderboard for this regional. Think it odd the UNCheat team assigned to another regional.😀😀😀

Duke has been a bogey machine in the first few holes of today's round.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Travel Budget?Number of Players

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I wonder about his travel budget, since the majority of the players we have recruited in the past ten years have been from overseas. Surely he doesn't limit his interactions to tournament results and videos.
    I did not do a deep dive but all six of the current team played high school golf in the US and 5 of the 6 have US hometowns. Jaravee who is from Thailand went to the IMG Academy in Florida. I think Duke's heaviest foreign recruiting was done when they had an assistant coach who was from Korea and raised in France. Not knocking foreign recruiting but it does not seem to be a big factor right now.

I think the NCAA allows 6 scholarships for women's golf. Coach Brooks recruits top players all of whom were probably offered full rides somewhere which kind of means to be somewhat competitive he needs to do the same. A disadvantage of a large team is selecting players for the events becomes more of a chore and you have to leave more players home. A disadvantage of the small team is that if you lose 2 players for whatever reason (turned pro, injured, sick) then you have to play 4 and count 4 scores.

I know the players from the last several years (except the 2 freshmen) and when you ask almost all of the them "Why did you pick Duke?' the answer is the combination of athletics and academics. Duke was the "dream school" for many of the players.

I would be surprised if Coach Brooks ever offered a scholarship to a player whom he did not see play and know personally. Maybe if a trusted assistant knew the player very very well and was very high on her,

SoCal