Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Not surprised that Stark won. Surprised that she won 4&3. Kim had been playing very well this week.
    And it’s over for this year.

Ok. State was really good today, especially on the back nine. Congrats to them.

Making the final four was quite an accomplishment for our women. Hats off.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

It just shows how dominant Brooks' program has been that tied for third nationally seems like a letdown.

Bummer. OK St clearly outplayed us...makes the loss somewhat more bearable in some respects than losing a nail biter. They were certainly a worthy opponent and it's not like it was a fluke. Still, another great year for Duke women's golf, but standards are so high.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It just shows how dominant Brooks' program has been that tied for third nationally seems like a letdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Bummer. OK St clearly outplayed us...makes the loss somewhat more bearable in some respects than losing a nail biter. They were certainly a worthy opponent and it's not like it was a fluke. Still, another great year for Duke women's golf, but standards are so high.
    We finished better than Wake. And Stanford. So there’s that …..
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Next year, let's ditch the pushcarts and resume the practice of carrying our bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Next year, let's ditch the pushcarts and resume the practice of carrying our bags.
    Back when I was young (along with the Airplane being a new invention), I found that when I did not carry my bag and walk up to my shot from behind, my game was not as sharp. There is something about that process that worked for me. A hand cart diminished the effect. Probably mostly mental. Maybe there is something to your idea, Stray.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Back when I was young (along with the Airplane being a new invention), I found that when I did not carry my bag and walk up to my shot from behind, my game was not as sharp. There is something about that process that worked for me. A hand cart diminished the effect. Probably mostly mental. Maybe there is something to your idea, Stray.
    I had the same mindset when I was young. When I got near 50, though, I realized my legs were getting worn out lugging that bag around for 18 holes. Probably says something about my conditioning ... but when I realized that, I quickly changed my tune and got a push-cart.

However, I never played the full week of rounds (sometimes more than one a day) that is called for in this tournament. I would think even the best conditioned young players wear down having to carry their bag every day for a week, particularly in the heat of summer.

When I played golf, even in my younger days, I had to use a cart due to my frequent zigzagging down every fairway. My walking distance for 18 holes was probably 3 times what an average golfer walked. Gave up golf when my buddy (a golf instructor) suggested that I should stick with tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I watched most of the match and no doubt that Ok. State outplayed Duke in most of the matches - they hit better shots and made many more putts and deserved to win. Not sure if the Duke players were tired or they just got outplayed. Golf can be a funny game, where your "game" can vary quite a bit day to day.
    It looks like there was only one senior on this year's team - Jaravee Boonchant (I don't know if she is eligible to play again next year, with the Covid protocols?). I also don't know if anyone is planning to leave early to try one of the pro tours? Does Coach Brooks have any top-rated HS players coming in for next year. It seems like he almost always gets 1 or 2 top players.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I had the same mindset when I was young. When I got near 50, though, I realized my legs were getting worn out lugging that bag around for 18 holes. Probably says something about my conditioning ... but when I realized that, I quickly changed my tune and got a push-cart.

However, I never played the full week of rounds (sometimes more than one a day) that is called for in this tournament. I would think even the best conditioned young players wear down having to carry their bag every day for a week, particularly in the heat of summer.
    Yea, I, more or less, gave up carrying my own bag when I turned 60 (and I carried a full complement of clubs - 14 - plus a lot of other "junk" in my golf bag, so it was a fairly heavy bag to lug around 18 holes). I don't mean to be ageist but I've always viewed using a pull cart as "old man's (or woman's) golf", so I fought using a pull cart for as long as possible. I did reduce the number of clubs in my bag and reduced the amount of stuff (I had a large number of golf balls in my bag) and it is much lighter, so I still carry my own bag if I'm just playing 9 holes.

With the state of my game, I have reduced my number of clubs. I still like to carry my bag but I only carry a 3 & 5 metal, 4, 6, 7, 8, wedge, s wedge and putter most days. I find that they are adequate for me to get around the course quite adequately. They also require that I use my imagination in some situations.

If you need to carry 36 balls so you can lose 2 per hole, you need to give up carrying your bag because of weight. Or better yet, give up golf.
    Hypothetical case of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    If you need to carry 36 balls so you can lose 2 per hole, you need to give up carrying your bag because of weight. Or better yet, give up golf.
    I choose to consider it a donation, but every year my accountant dismisses that notion.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Totally golf course dependent. You are hard-pressed to lose a ball on Pinehurst No.2, even as you shoot your 112.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Where I end up I find 2-3 balls every hole so I only start with 3 or 4 and live dangerously.

Ole Miss got the championship with a 4-1 with over Ok State. Watched some of it -- very good performance by U of Mississippi.

Commentators said it was the school's first national championship in women's sports.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Where I end up I find 2-3 balls every hole so I only start with 3 or 4 and live dangerously.
    Perhaps you found my golf balls?

For those saying they should’ve carried their bags, do you realize they played about 110-120 holes in the short span of 6 days....in 100°+ temps??

Quote Originally Posted by dbowen View Post
    For those saying they should’ve carried their bags, do you realize they played about 110-120 holes in the short span of 6 days...in 100°+ temps??
    Yea, that's a lot of walking (and pushing or pulling a cart) for anyone, even if you're young and in shape. I personally think the NCAA should allow the players to use the "Golf Board", if they're going to make them play that many rounds on consecutive days. See link below. I've tried it once and they ARE fun to use (once you get used to how to turn them and regulate the speed).

https://www.golfboard.com/