Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke has been a bogey machine in the first few holes of today's round.
    Conditions must be awful: all teams are well over par and Duke ahead by 2.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Conditions must be awful: all teams are well over par and Duke ahead by 2.
    Yep, Duke has the low score for the day at 4 over. Oklahoma, yesterday's leader has balooned to 9 over.
    Last edited by -jk; 05-11-2021 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Yep, Duke has the low score for the day at 4 over. Oklahoma, yesterday's leader has balooned to 9 over.
    Conditions must be going from bad to worse. Duke is +8 and in third place. Georgia finished early and at even par the day. The Bulldogs have a seven-shot lead. UGa's Jenny Bae birdied six of the last seven holes to finish at -4, and is tied for the individual lead. Duke's Gina Kim is T-3.

First day leader Oklahoma is +22 for the day, playing in the same groupings with Duke.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'Weather in Columbus -- mid 50's with a NW 14MPH wind -- and may have been worse earlier'
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 05-11-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Conditions must be going from bad to worse.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'Weather in Columbus -- mid 50's with a NW 14MPH wind -- and may have been worse earlier'
    My sister, who lives in Columbus, is at the tournament. The weather is indeed a major factor. Basically windy and miserable.

Duke finishes in 3rd place, 10 over for the day - 11 strokes worse than yesterday's round. The final round is tomorrow. The top six qualify for next week's finals.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke finishes in 3rd place, 10 over for the day - 11 strokes worse than yesterday's round. The final round is tomorrow. The top six qualify for next week's finals.
    Thank you for anticipating my question.

(I assume that is the top 6 teams.)

Of the teams in the crowd behind the top 6, UVA and Vandy are making a move today (3 and 4 under, respectively, not quite halfway through), so it looks like conditions are better than yesterday. Duke is yet to tee off and is still 8 strokes clear of 7th place.

The leaderboard website says "The top 6 teams advance (Ties will be resolved)". I assume that means some sort of playoff would be involved if there is a tie for 6th (or multi-way tie for 5th)? Anybody know the format for that?

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    The leaderboard website says "The top 6 teams advance (Ties will be resolved)". I assume that means some sort of playoff would be involved if there is a tie for 6th (or multi-way tie for 5th)? Anybody know the format for that?
    I wonder if that means they will "go to the scorecard" and look at the results on the hardest holes (handicap 1, 2 etc.). I.e, no playoff.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I wondered that also ... but I assumed it was too low-brow for college golf. Maybe I am assuming too much.

Duke off to fast start in the final round -- minus-three after completing most of the first four holes. In sole possession of second place and 12 shots ahead of the seventh-place team. (Six qualify.)

From having followed these NCAA tournaments for years, let me say that an eight-shot lead can often disappear in just a couple of holes, when you have four players playing on each team. In other words, no lead is safe if there are a bunch of holes left to play.
    Sage Grouse

Sorry for another digression, but since Ron Schmid was mentioned earlier ... I found this interview with him in his role as Executive Director of the Carolinas PGA Section. Among other things, he mentions caddying for Arnold Palmer in the 1966 Cleveland Open, when he (Ron) was still in high school. I did not realize that golfers did not as yet have tour caddies then; Ron showed up for the caddy drawing and just happened to be assigned to Arnie. I guess it's not surprising he still has vivid memories of that experience.

Sorry for another digression, but since Ron Schmid was mentioned earlier ... I found this interview with him in his role as Executive Director of the Carolinas PGA Section. Among other things, he mentions caddying for Arnold Palmer in the 1966 Cleveland Open, when he (Ron) was still in high school. I did not realize that golfers did not as yet have tour caddies then; Ron showed up for the caddy drawing and just happened to be assigned to Arnie. I guess it's not surprising he still has vivid memories of that experience.
    Wow! Caddying for Arnold Palmer in the Cleveland Open. I mean, I saw Elvis in the ballpark in Charleston in 1956, but caddying for Arnold would be way better.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I wonder if that means they will "go to the scorecard" and look at the results on the hardest holes (handicap 1, 2 etc.). I.e, no playoff.
    I wondered that also ... but I assumed it was too low-brow for college golf. Maybe I am assuming too much.
    Don't hold me to this for this year's event, but, from what I have read online, in the past they have used a "shotgun" playoff, whereby all five members of the teams that are part of the tie begin play on separate holes (e.g., all the 1's play on 1, the 2's play on 2, etc.). After each hole is completed, they calculate the total score of the team's five players, then continue on by process of elimination until the tie is fully broken.

Apparently if it is just a two-team tie, they have played those 10 players in two fivesomes, straight tees (not shotgunned), and then follow the same process.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

If they are in the top 6 this round, all the teams start even (scores don't carry over), correct?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    If they are in the top 6 this round, all the teams start even (scores don't carry over), correct?
    It is cumulative. If you win the 3rd round but your three day total is out of the top 6, you do not qualify for the finals.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

It is cumulative. If you win the 3rd round but your three day total is out of the top 6, you do not qualify for the finals.
    I think what DinK is asking, though, is whether the slate gets cleaned once you reach nationals, i.e., that the results from your *regional* competition do not carry over to nationals. I believe the slate does get cleaned (because different teams from different regions played different courses in different conditions), but am not 100% certain.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I think what DinK is asking, though, is whether the slate gets cleaned once you reach nationals, i.e., that the results from your *regional* competition do not carry over to nationals. I believe the slate does get cleaned (because different teams from different regions played different courses in different conditions), but am not 100% certain.
    Yes, in the finals all slates are clean.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Julian Suri is 4 under par after the first day of the British Masters and currently in 3rd place (leader is at -6).

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Yes, that was what I was trying to ask. Thank you for interpreting for me.

Yes, in the finals all slates are clean.
    Thank you.