Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    What?
    Uh...

Gotcha!

*Blinks*

Sorry

Duke finishes the 1st round at 3 over, tied for 3rd, 2 shots behind the leader. Good start.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Now showing Duke at +4, tied for fourth with Wake and other notables.

The reason I am posting is that, while Duke is seeded/ranked #2, South Carolina is ostensibly ranked #1. The Lady Gamecocks are DFL -- with a +24 and with three scores in the 80's. Maybe it's a misprint (the #1 seed).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Now showing Duke at +4, tied for fourth with Wake and other notables.

The reason I am posting is that, while Duke is seeded/ranked #2, South Carolina is ostensibly ranked #1. The Lady Gamecocks are DFL -- with a +24 and with three scores in the 80's. Maybe it's a misprint (the #1 seed).
    Yes, both those things are bizarre.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Scoreboard

Team and Player leaderboard can be found here:

http://results.golfstat.com/public/l...team&tid=22827
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Duke women off to a fast start -- minus-six through holes 5-7 -- and in the lead at -2 overall, two shots ahead of Stanford.

Gina Kim is -4 through seven holes.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Gamecocks coughing up a furball...pity!

Is the number of rounds you have to play to win the NCAA's typical for a collegiate golf tournament? Just seems like a LOT of golf with the match play tournament following four rounds. Seems like endurance would be a bigger factor than a typical one. I like it from an excitement perspective I suppose as the leader going into match play hardly ever ends up taking the crown.

Go Duke! Gina Kim is crushing it today thus far. Let's keep it going!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Is the number of rounds you have to play to win the NCAA's typical for a collegiate golf tournament? Just seems like a LOT of golf with the match play tournament following four rounds. Seems like endurance would be a bigger factor than a typical one. I like it from an excitement perspective I suppose as the leader going into match play hardly ever ends up taking the crown.

Go Duke! Gina Kim is crushing it today thus far. Let's keep it going!
    Been the same for the past few years. If your team makes the finals, you play seven rounds in six days -- without a caddy. It's a ridiculous amount of golf. I have thought that the grueling schedule favored the physically stronger teams, but I dunno...
    Sage Grouse

Been the same for the past few years. If your team makes the finals, you play seven rounds in six days -- without a caddy. It's a ridiculous amount of golf. I have thought that the grueling schedule favored the physically stronger teams, but I dunno...
    Yes I know it's been this way the last few years. I guess my question is if any other collegiate tournaments now do this (I would think coaches/organizers would try to replicate the format in order to prepare their teams) or if the NCAAs is still totally anamolous?

Wow! Duke on a roll with a five-shot lead -- but still on the front nine. Stroke play continues through Monday.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not today. Currently they are 9 under for the day.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I think there was a conversation a couple years go about Duke players opting to carry their bags (rather than use a pull cart, which some teams used). By the last rounds, our players seemed tired. Is my memory correct? And do players still have the option to use a pull cart? (If so, what are the Duke players doing this time?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I think there was a conversation a couple years go about Duke players opting to carry their bags (rather than use a pull cart, which some teams used). By the last rounds, our players seemed tired. Is my memory correct? And do players still have the option to use a pull cart? (If so, what are the Duke players doing this time?)
    We'll see Monday when the TV coverage starts.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Not today. Currently they are 9 under for the day.
    nah, they're toast, tied for 21st.

Duke finished with -7 for the second round and a total of -3 for the two days. Duke is second to Stanford, which was even hotter today with a -10 round and a total of -7.

With one-half the teams just getting started (the lower seeded teams), Gina Kim is T-2, after shooting -5 today for a total of -3. She trails Rachel Heck of Stanford, who is at -8. Duke has three golfers now in the top ten, with Jaravee Boonchant and Phoebe Brinker at -1.

Let's remember what's at stake: (a) the individual champion is crowned on Monday, after the fourth round; and then (b) eight teams qualify for match play on Tuesday and Wednesday. Duke is 13 shots ahead of the ninth place team at the moment.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    What them chickens been doing, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Your memory is accurate, I know I was one of those making that observation at the time. I hope they are using push or pull carts this year.

Despite a dreadful first day, the Lady Gamecocks can make the playoffs by shooting under par the next two days. Today they were even par and are T-14, 12 shots behind the eighth-place team. Only three teams broke par today -- so it's no mean feat, but they are supposed to be the best team in the NCAA's.
    Sage Grouse

Despite a dreadful first day, the Lady Gamecocks can make the playoffs by shooting under par the next two days. Today they were even par and are T-14, 12 shots behind the eighth-place team. Only three teams broke par today -- so it's no mean feat, but they are supposed to be the best team in the NCAA's.
    All they have to do is make the Final 8 and the Match Play rounds. Make up 12 strokes over 2 days (by today's accounting) very doable. Having a legitimate Carolina to compete against in collegiate sports would be a nice change.