Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I know essentially nothing about Nina King. I see some unkind comments about her on another board, people who insist she wants to de-emphasize athletics, and FWIW I don't know of ANY evidence that supports that.

She has a lot of experience at Duke, which hopefully includes personnel management (I have no idea if it does) because as AD she'd have to manage lots and lots of coaches and other personnel. The job is infinitely more complex than it was when Eddie Cameron was wandering around, this I know.

As in the K succession situation, I hope we go after the best available person...my only impression of King thus far is the Lawson hire, and to me that was an inspired choice.

FYI, the Duke Basketball Report podcast had a recent episode where they interviewed Kevin White and Nina King.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I hope they do, but that doesn't make me optimistic. If she was a finalist for NU, that means that she had interest, right? And that's interest knowing that the seat next to hers at Duke is open.
    Maybe she told Northwestern thanks but no, that wonderful things are about to happen, but that seems iffy for her name to pop up in such a story.
    If she wants the Duke job, she needed to get to the finals of the NW job. It’s practice, but more important, it reassures Duke that a competitor found her appealing. People love to be reassured.

I assume she's conversant on when the football coach's contract expires...

Quote Originally Posted by summerwind03 View Post
    FYI, the Duke Basketball Report podcast had a recent episode where they interviewed Kevin White and Nina King.
    https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP2384009822

As for the Northwestern interest, I would expect that unless Duke has expressly told her she is getting the Duke AD job, then she would of course look into other situations. Nothing at all wrong with that.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP2384009822

As for the Northwestern interest, I would expect that unless Duke has expressly told her she is getting the Duke AD job, then she would of course look into other situations. Nothing at all wrong with that.
    It's a headhunter business. As far as I can tell, the main headhunters are talking to AD's and key personnel all the time. Schools, facing a vacancy, would naturally use this resource because they know the potential candidates and something about them. If you are ambitious, you will interview for AD positions -- you learn something and you may put some pressure on your own school.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Northwestern AD resigns after ten days:

https://abc7chicago.com/northwestern...igns/10622327/

Quote Originally Posted by beach rev View Post

whoa, lawsuit alleges (key word) he knew cheerleaders would be "forced to engage in commercial sex acts." Triple ouch, that's ugly. Wouldn't be shocked to see them now choose a woman for the job...

Who were the other women finalists for the job other than Nina.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    whoa, lawsuit alleges (key word) he knew cheerleaders would be "forced to engage in commercial sex acts." Triple ouch, that's ugly. Wouldn't be shocked to see them now choose a woman for the job...
    Sounds like if Duke wants Nina King they better make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by beach rev View Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Who were the other women finalists for the job other than Nina.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Sounds like if Duke wants Nina King they better make it happen.
    To pat myself on the back somewhat, I alluded to this possibility three days ago in the 2021 recruiting thread...
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...00#post1370000
    "Incidentally, there is a decent amount of hubub/protesting on NU's AD hire. Some are not happy with his perceived role in the sexual assault allegations from a cheerleader as well as the fact that other female minority candidates were passed over. I mention this because our Nina King was one of the finalists. Seems unlikely that the NU President will reopen it especially given he's leaving Northwestern soon anyways so doesn't really have the please the crowd anymore, but stranger things have happened..."

I should have thought about resignation being more likely that the President booting him.

Besides Nina King, the other finalists were Anucha Browne, former Northwestern bball player/current sports executive and Janna Blais, who was the (at the time current) Northwestern interim athletic director and a decade-long deputy athletic director. Maybe Blais has the inside track now? But not sure her involvement/name in the lawsuit in the same case as Polisky. As I mentioned above, Northwestern Prez Schapiro is also on his way out, so not sure his mindset. He's had to deal with protestors outside his home ALL YEAR basically due to protests on pushing to defund the NU police and other factors including the AD hire, so not sure if he's going to defer to others to make the call this time around...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    To pat myself on the back somewhat, I alluded to this possibility three days ago in the 2021 recruiting thread...
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...00#post1370000
    "Incidentally, there is a decent amount of hubub/protesting on NU's AD hire. Some are not happy with his perceived role in the sexual assault allegations from a cheerleader as well as the fact that other female minority candidates were passed over. I mention this because our Nina King was one of the finalists. Seems unlikely that the NU President will reopen it especially given he's leaving Northwestern soon anyways so doesn't really have the please the crowd anymore, but stranger things have happened..."

I should have thought about resignation being more likely that the President booting him.

Besides Nina King, the other finalists were Anucha Browne, former Northwestern bball player/current sports executive and Janna Blais, who was the (at the time current) Northwestern interim athletic director and a decade-long deputy athletic director. Maybe Blais has the inside track now? But not sure her involvement/name in the lawsuit in the same case as Polisky. As I mentioned above, Northwestern Prez Schapiro is also on his way out, so not sure his mindset. He's had to deal with protestors outside his home ALL YEAR basically due to protests on pushing to defund the NU police and other factors including the AD hire, so not sure if he's going to defer to others to make the call this time around...
    Thanks for the helpful update. Anucha Browne is a name I haven't heard in a while. She won a sexual harassment lawsuit against Isiah Thomas and MSG about 15 years ago when she was a senior exec for the Knicks.

I wonder if any of this will affect Duke's search...I have no idea how far along they've gotten. IF (big word) King is a leading candidate, this might propel Duke to act sooner rather than later, but perhaps they haven't even interviewed anyone yet.
    They've yet to call me for my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Thanks for the helpful update. Anucha Browne is a name I haven't heard in a while. She won a sexual harassment lawsuit against Isiah Thomas and MSG about 15 years ago when she was a senior exec for the Knicks.
    No problem. Yes, Browne was awarded (well, it settled for) $11.5M. I guess that's relative chump change for MSG. I don't think Thomas was liable for the monetary damages in the end.

Nina King expected to be named next AD

A number of media sources are reporting Duke has made its choice and it is Nina King.

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/s...46625647730692

I can't say how excited I am for this. She has a wonderful track record as head of the NCAA Women's Tournament Selection Committee and was also instrumental in hiring Kara Lawson. She was also a finalist for the Northwestern AD position. Their mistake is Duke's gain.

King will have two crucial decisions coming up very soon: Replacing Coach K and Coach Cutcliffe. Let's wish her the best of luck.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    A number of media sources are reporting Duke has made its choice and it is Nina King.

I can't say how excited I am for this. She has a wonderful track record as head of the NCAA Women's Tournament Selection Committee and was also instrumental in hiring Kara Lawson. She was also a finalist for the Northwestern AD position. Their mistake is Duke's gain.

King will have two crucial decisions coming up very soon: Replacing Coach K and Coach Cutcliffe. Let's wish her the best of luck.
    Awesome.

Does she join Debbie Yow as the only other female AD in the ACC? I think so.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's official. VP and AD
    Nina E. King will be the next Vice President and Director of Athletics at Duke University, President Vincent E. Price announced Wednesday. King is currently Duke’s senior deputy director of athletics for administration and legal affairs and chief of staff. She will succeed Kevin M. White, who is retiring after 13 years in the post, on September 1.
    https://today.duke.edu/2021/05/nina-...ctor-athletics
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

I'm guessing (purely) that she'll leave the hoop decision primarily to K, which is probably the smart move.

I'm guessing (purely) that she'll leave the hoop decision primarily to K, which is probably the smart move.
    I do not have expectations that King will be the sole person in charge of hiring the men's basketball head coach, but you can bet she will have a voice. There's no way people won't come for King if the next head coach struggles. She's going to be tied to that hire the way an NFL GM is tied to a 1st round QB.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Awesome.

Does she join Debbie Yow as the only other female AD in the ACC? I think so.
    Debbie Yow retired in 2019. Virginia and Pitt both have female ADs. In 2017, Virginia’s Carla Williams became the first Black woman hired as an athletics director at a Power Five conference school. Vandy hired a Black woman last year. Duke is now the third P5 school with a Black woman in charge of athletics.

Nina is both a great hire and a wonderful person. Duke athletics are in good hands.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?