Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Congratulations, VP and AD Nina King!

Stephen Wiseman
    @stevewisemanNC
    Duke announces search committee, chaired by retired General Motors CEO Richard Wagoner, to find new AD to replace retiring Kevin White. Former Duke football player
    @RossCockrell31
    , now with Tampa Bay Bucs, is on committee. So is former WNBA president
    Lisa_M_Borders

https://goduke.com/news/2021/3/3/sea...-director.aspx
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Stephen Wiseman
    @stevewisemanNC
    Duke announces search committee, chaired by retired General Motors CEO Richard Wagoner, to find new AD to replace retiring Kevin White. Former Duke football player
    @RossCockrell31
    , now with Tampa Bay Bucs, is on committee. So is former WNBA president
    Lisa_M_Borders

https://goduke.com/news/2021/3/3/sea...-director.aspx
    not mentioned that Wagoner is the former chair of the board of trustees, and Borders is a current trustee.
    1200. DDMF.

With the collective knowledge on this board maybe we should nominate someone from this board...

For Duke lacrosse fans, co-captain J.T. Giles-Harris is also on the committee.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

For what it's worth, I remember sitting near Wagoner on occasion at football games, so he understands the struggle there (he would often descend from the President's Box)

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    For what it's worth, I remember sitting near Wagoner on occasion at football games, so he understands the struggle there (he would often descend from the President's Box)
    For some reason, I had in my head Wagoner walked on to the football team, but clearly I'm thinking of some other mega Duke benefactor/businessman...Who am I thinking of?

Wagoner did give my commencement speech at Duke (which was decent). He then followed that up by overseeing GM on a multi-billion dollar decline (not saying it was all his fault....but obviously as CEO he gets the "credit").

I for one am looking forward to extending our streak of ADs who don't get into drunken boating accidents to two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    For some reason, I had in my head Wagoner walked on to the football team, but clearly I'm thinking of some other mega Duke benefactor/businessman...Who am I thinking of?

Wagoner did give my commencement speech at Duke (which was decent). He then followed that up by overseeing GM on a multi-billion dollar decline (not saying it was all his fault...but obviously as CEO he gets the "credit").
    Probably John Mack

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Probably John Mack
    Ah yes, "Mack the Knife." Thanks. He's certainly had quite the career.

Wagoner did give my commencement speech at Duke (which was decent). He then followed that up by overseeing GM on a multi-billion dollar decline (not saying it was all his fault...but obviously as CEO he gets the "credit").
    His wiki bio is not for the squeamish -- $85 billion in losses at GM -- happy to see no mention of Duke Board service.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I assume that, for a job of this magnitude, Duke has hired an executive search firm (headhunter) to do most of the "legwork" on finding appropriate candidates for the job and the role of the committee appointed by Duke will be to review and interview the finalists and then pick the next A.D.

According to Wikipedia, GM lost 90% of its market value during the latter part of Rick's tenure as the CEO (over $80 billion in P and L losses) and he was "asked" to resign by the White House and US Government when they bailed out GM (to the tune of over $50 billion in tax payer money) in 2009 (and Chrysler too). Although GM survived, the US government (really, taxpayers) eventually lost over $11 billion on its investment in the auto maker. Admittedly, that was a very tough time to be running an old style, legacy US automaker.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    For Duke lacrosse fans, co-captain J.T. Giles-Harris is also on the committee.
    For Duke football fans wo recognize that name, J.T. Giles-Harris is the brother of linebacker Joe Giles-Harris.

With all due, is a search committee something that is necessary or is it merely for due diligence purposes?

Does anything *not* think Nina King is the frontrunner?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    With all due, is a search committee something that is necessary or is it merely for due diligence purposes?

She is probably the front runner, but Duke typically does a national search to confirm (or not) that the internal candidate is the best suited for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    She is probably the front runner, but Duke typically does a national search to confirm (or not) that the internal candidate is the best suited for the job.
    King led the search to find a successor to Joanne P. McCallie as WBB HC. A search firm was retained. There was a list of 20 candidates, which was whittled down multiple times, until a final three emerged. Kara Lawson was the top choice, followed by Rice's Tina Langley and Drake's Jennie Baranczyk.

To me, this was Nina King's audition for the AD job, being in charge of the search for a head coach in the biggest and most high-profile women's sport at Duke.

That being said, when Coach K retires, I would be shocked if K does not handpick the next coach, irrespective of Kevin White's successor.

King led the search to find a successor to Joanne P. McCallie as WBB HC. A search firm was retained. There was a list of 20 candidates, which was whittled down multiple times, until a final three emerged. Kara Lawson was the top choice, followed by Rice's Tina Langley and Drake's Jennie Baranczyk.

To me, this was Nina King's audition for the AD job, being in charge of the search for a head coach in the biggest and most high-profile women's sport at Duke.

That being said, when Coach K retires, I would be shocked if K does not handpick the next coach, irrespective of Kevin White's successor.
    Whoever the next AD is may well appreciate K picking his successor, smart political move. Interesting to see if King is the AD choice...Ordinarily I'd expect Duke to hire a more experienced AD who has had lots of management experience, but the choice of King wouldn't surprise me.

Reading the first paragraph, it sounds like you were on the search committee? Or were the search results published somewhere?

As to the second paragraph, women's golf and tennis are pretty darn high profile in their own rights, both with multiple Natty's, either as a team or individual or both!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

We shall see. There have been enough blue blood schools with disasters of hires following the departure of a legend for any nominee to be accepted at face value.

For better or worse, duke athletics, and the university as a whole, is run like any other business...and the board would not be doing its job if they allowed a high profile employee to simply appoint their successor. There's a reason the search committee includes 3 current or former trustees. For someone who will undoubtedly be a "brand ambassador," keeping them on board IS a huge consideration, and one that may be enough to put significant weight on their preference, but that decision is up to AD, and not K.

And with the general lack of success K's protegees have had, there are going to be a LOT of questions asked why duke should hire any of them, regardless of K's choice.
    1200. DDMF.

Well, if not necessary, it's highly desirable. The position reports to the U. president. It woul dbe natural to have advisors in the selection -- and, of course, there are a number of well-connected headhunters in this area. And then, if you have advisors connected to Duke, why not formalize it by announcing it?

Of course, it can backfire. Nan picked Alleva rather than the committee recommendation, Tom Mickle, a Duke guy on the ACC staff. Feinstein, who was on the advisory committee, went berserk.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Of course, it can backfire. Nan picked Alleva rather than the committee recommendation, Tom Mickle, a Duke guy on the ACC staff. Feinstein, who was on the advisory committee, went berserk
    An upside to the Alleva hire.