Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Prior to last game, I'd say that Goldwire has been more of a caretaker than a real assist guy. Yes, the numbers have been okay, but that's I think been more a function of being the guy who passes around the perimeter most. But last night was the first time I saw him utilize Williams in the pick-and-roll game. That hasn't been a big part of our offense, but he did a pretty good job of getting the lob to Williams off the dribble.

That is one area in which Goldwire might become useful down the stretch. He isn't a break-you-down type of ballhandler and certainly isn't a major scoring threat, but in a pick-and-roll game with Williams he just might have something. He's quick, is reasonably secure with the dribble (at least moreso than the other guards), and seems willing to look for his teammates rather than tunnel vision for a shot. It also sets him up better as a drive and kick threat, which could help get Hurt and Steward and Baker some more looks.

We ran the pick and roll a decent amount down the stretch, and mostly the end result was a lob to Williams. But I could see the offense trying to expand that moving forward.
    I agree this could be very effective, especially with Hurt actually in the game and spotting up for 3s on the kick out. That said, I’m not sure this strategy will be employed when we play UNC, as the PNR for a lob will be harder against their size. In the last meeting the small ball lineup was vastly more effective on offense. Williams has certainly developed since then but it will be interesting to see if we try to match their size, or (like the UVA game) play more Brakefield to make their bigs guard away from the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I agree this could be very effective, especially with Hurt actually in the game and spotting up for 3s on the kick out. That said, I’m not sure this strategy will be employed when we play UNC, as the PNR for a lob will be harder against their size. In the last meeting the small ball lineup was vastly more effective on offense. Williams has certainly developed since then but it will be interesting to see if we try to match their size, or (like the UVA game) play more Brakefield to make their bigs guard away from the basket.
    If that happens I believe the cheats will kill us on the boards. I'd rather see Coleman III than Brakefield. With the cheats frontline, I think Williams and Hurt are needed for rebounds. Now we could see a little zone with Hurt, Williams, Goldwire, Moore and Steward. It's going to be interesting to see what Coach K has up his sleeve for this game.

Last cheat game Baker had 11 pts on 4-8 and 3-7 on 3s. Williams only played 14 minutes but led the team with 8 rebounds. Hurt only had 7 points and 3 rebounds. Our best player had a below average game and we only lost by 4 points. We can beat these cheats. GTHC!

GoDuke!