Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Duke 77, Tech 81 Post Game Thread

Harumph...

Any more and I'd have to ban myself.

-jk

Imawankerforreadingthis....

GT is good, Duke fought hard but just another tough loss. Proud of how the team competed for the most part but it is just one of those seasons. Duke has lost so many close games including two straight in OT now.

I still like this team and hope they beat Carolina then win the ACC Tournament! I think they can do both!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Harumph...

Any more and I'd have to ban myself.

-jk
    Harumph x 2.

I always thought the KenPom "Luck" index was ridiculous--not anymore.

Coach K said in November that there shouldn't be a season, he knew what was coming.

The individual parts of this team never jelled all season.

Except for Matt Hurt's shooting and Mark Williams' development it was a lost year.

Our freshman guards were correctly benched tonight by K; both need to grow up in the off season.

Sorry to say, this team has no business going to any postseason tournament.

I agree that our freshmen guards have not been good these past two games, but DJ Steward is the leading freshman scorer in the ACC and they both played solid against Virginia and great against Syracuse. I feel very good with them in the backcourt next year, I think they are going to be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I agree that our freshmen guards have not been good these past two games, but DJ Steward is the leading freshman scorer in the ACC and they both played solid against Virginia and great against Syracuse. I feel very good with them in the backcourt next year, I think they are going to be very good.
    Yes, I’m not ready to give up on DJ at all. He’s had a couple of rough games, but a good year. Roach on the other hand... let’s just say he needs to do a lot of work over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Yes, I’m not ready to give up on DJ at all. He’s had a couple of rough games, but a good year. Roach on the other hand... let’s just say he needs to do a lot of work over the summer.
    I thought he had a chance at freshman of the year but probably lost that the last 2 games unless he has a hell of a run in the ACC tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I don’t know what happened to Roach, Steward and Brakefield since that UVA game. Maybe that night was just a fluke. They have been a shell of themselves these last two games.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don’t know what happened to Roach, Steward and Brakefield since that UVA game. Maybe that night was just a fluke. They have been a shell of themselves these last two games.
    They've hit the wall as that we've played the three most physical opponents of the season three games in row. None of them is strong enough to play through the level of contact that's been allowed, for whatever reason it's allowed.

They'll all be better when they get a year older and stronger -- and they'll probably even bounce back this year if we get an opponent that plays more of a finesse game than UVa, Louisville and Tech.

But against teams that are going to bully us, we're going to get bullied.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post

Coach K said in November that there shouldn't be a season, he knew what was coming.

Except for Matt Hurt's shooting and Mark Williams' development it was a lost year.

Our freshman guards were correctly benched tonight by K; both need to grow up in the off season.

If a team with a core of Roach, Steward, Moore, Williams, Brakefield, and a couple stud freshmen make the Final Four next year...are you really going to think of this season as a “lost” year? Doesn’t that miss the point?

Wendell grew into a solid player this year.

Such a hard game. In some ways it was hard not to win this game. I don’t think I’ll ever find peace with that 5th foul on Hurt - you just can’t call that there.

I know Brakefield got an open look but I would’ve preferred a drive to the basket with a chance to get fouled.

This season is a painful reminder of how important guards are in college hoops and the risks of relying on freshman who are both physically and mentally young relative to the competition. I think Ultrarunner nailed this point in the Louisville thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Wendell grew into a solid player this year.
    He really did.
    No soup for you!

It's only ridiculous if you consider it as our generally understood notion of luck, which it is not. It is simply the difference between what the model predicts our record should be and what it actually is. It encapsulates both elements of error inherent in the system as well as how consistent a team is, among other things. "Deviation" or "error" might be a better term, but "luck" is catchy.
    April 1

Not sure what to say.

I also wanted to throw a clipboard to the floor.

I know what to say. The game is called "BASKET-ball." Shouldn't someone on our team of highly regarded players be able to put the ball therein? Our only scoring play was to lob to Mark Williams, which was effective until Tech realized that was our only play.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I know what to say. The game is called "BASKET-ball." Shouldn't someone on our team of highly regarded players be able to put the ball therein? Our only scoring play was to lob to Mark Williams, which was effective until Tech realized that was our only play.
    once hurt was out, we had some gasps, but our options are too few without him on the floor for any sustained length of time.
    April 1

oh well. once again doing all the little things to lose, but close. Missing FTs, dribbling the paint off the court before jacking up hopeless 3s, poor court vision, missing connections on passes, not boxing out for rebounds, not getting the ball to our best offensive option and instead insisting on using marginal offensive players as primary options. Not playing to our strengths, in K's words "soft".
    Minus winning the ACCT this team will not make the NCAAT. Next year, though!!!

In a season

Where we can not catch a break at all...TV Teddy and his crew just did us dirty...just because they can.

There were double digit travels not called on GT. Middle school refs could have seen these violations.

The only way karma balances out our bad luck is with a W over UNC and a tourney crown.
    Windy City Devil